Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #16
popgun pete

Re: Ocean Rhino "Wind Song" Special Edition Spearguns

I could not resist the temptation and thinking that they may sell out pretty quickly I ordered one and I suggest others do the same. Otherwise unless the two sister ships "Wind Star" and "Wind Spirit" similarly come to grief this chance will not come again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind_Star.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	241866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind_Spirit.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	241867  

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-13-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added photos of low probability "speargun barrel resources"
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:09 PM   #17
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
I could not resist the temptation and thinking that they may sell out pretty quickly I ordered one and I suggest others do the same. Otherwise unless the two sister ships "Wind Star" and "Wind Spirit" similarly come to grief this chance will not come again.
Thanks for the order Pete.....your new KB Signature #52 “Wind Song” Speargun is on the way to Australia. USPS says 6 to 10 days for delivery. I look forward to your opinion on the spearguns build quality and technology. You got one of only three TX2 length spearguns we produced from the Wind Song teak so that is a pretty rare speargun. We only have one TX2 left as #51 found a home last weekend.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 AM   #18
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
Thanks for the order Pete.....your new KB Signature #52 “Wind Song” Speargun is on the way to Australia. USPS says 6 to 10 days for delivery. I look forward to your opinion on the spearguns build quality and technology. You got one of only three TX2 length spearguns we produced from the Wind Song teak so that is a pretty rare speargun. We only have one TX2 left as #51 found a home last weekend.
Thanks Kevin and looking forward to receiving it. It is a great story and the closest that I will get to such a luxury yacht which must have cost a packet to sail on. I remember seeing a TV travel segment on these vessels when they were first launched and much was made of their computer trimmed sails and luxury accommodations for seafarers who did not want to go on the multi-stacked deck, floating “wedding cakes” bursting with people that ply the cruise ship business, plus they had the added romance of being under sail.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:46 AM   #19
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Thanks Kevin and looking forward to receiving it. It is a great story and the closest that I will get to such a luxury yacht which must have cost a packet to sail on. I remember seeing a TV travel segment on these vessels when they were first launched and much was made of their computer trimmed sails and luxury accommodations for seafarers who did not want to go on the multi-stacked deck, floating “wedding cakes” bursting with people that ply the cruise ship business, plus they had the added romance of being under sail.
Rogers on that Pete.......I looked up how much it would cost to take a cruise one of the sister ships and it was quite pricey. Most 7 day cruises started at $3,500.00 (per person) and some longer cruises went up to over $7,500.00.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #20
popgun pete

Here are the stern handrails on the "Wind Star", the source of the barrels from the identical "Wind Song" salvage before she was towed to deepwater and scuttled. The deck planking looks pretty good, but was probably re-used in another vessel.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #21
Charlestondivin

Sign me up Kevin!
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #22
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondivin View Post
Sign me up Kevin!
Thanks Rob, I would love to build a KB Signature Wind Song for you. I spent all day sanding and sealing a new batch of KB Signature barrels today. There are some reallly beautiful teak barrels in this batch. I will FaceTime you next week so you can choose your favorite barrel from this batch.

I have had many folks stop by the shop to sort through the unfinished barrels in search of that one teak barrel that speaks to them. I am totally amazed at how obsessive some guys can be when they are trying to to decide which stock to choose. Factors like color, grain, density/weight, etc. seems to send them into overload. One guy drove all the way from Lakeland to personally choose his barrel and he was there close to 2 hours before he could finally make up his mind. He finally chose a beautiful TX5KB-HL barrel and chose #84 for his serial number.

Last edited by Spear One; 03-21-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:11 AM   #23
popgun pete

Wow, my "Wind Song" SIGNATURE series gun has just arrived and I eagerly unpacked it like a kid at Christmas about 20 minutes ago. This is an absolutely superb gun with a glowing timber finish and a stock of depth and heft, it puts in the shade any of my other timber guns for precision of fit and finish. The line rigging system with the hyperlink is the best invention since sliced bread as you press the shaft into the gun’s sear box with a click, push the safety lever down to “safe” and then pull the hyperlink off the stock’s black retaining hook and run it over the tip of the shaft. After that wind the line wraps over the line wrapping points and then haul back the bands. Interestingly the latter have flat sections in the curve of the stainless steel wishbones to drop in the shaft wishbone slots. There are a bunch of others extras and the gun is a totally complete spearfishing package which is very well engineered and assembled and Kevin has done a great job in integrating the hand rail timber as the wood gleams like new with a silky finish and wonderful grain character.

Once you lay your eyes on one of these guns you will want to own it, so I suggest that if you want one they are going to disappear pretty fast when enough people have seen them "in the flesh". I got so excited that when I started typing this I got up to quickly check something and caught my foot on a power adapter cable and heard the crash as the laptop and all that is plugged into it headed for the carpeted floor. No harm done and now I am back in business typing this up and am very pleased that the gun arrived here in perfect condition, protected by multi-layers of high tech silvery packing that held the gun in the shipping box as snug as a bug in a rug.

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-26-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:55 AM   #24
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Pics or it didn't happen
Old 03-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #25
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
Pics or it didn't happen
You are going to have to wait for the sun to come out, 7.50 a.m. daylight saving here and a gloomy start to the day!
Old 03-26-2019, 05:18 PM   #26
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Wow, my "Wind Song" SIGNATURE series gun has just arrived and I eagerly unpacked it like a kid at Christmas about 20 minutes ago. This is an absolutely superb gun with a glowing timber finish and a stock of depth and heft, it puts in the shade any of my other timber guns for precision of fit and finish. The line rigging system with the hyperlink is the best invention since sliced bread as you press the shaft into the gun’s sear box with a click, push the safety lever down to “safe” and then pull the hyperlink off the stock’s black retaining hook and run it over the tip of the shaft. After that wind the line wraps over the line wrapping points and then haul back the bands. Interestingly the latter have flat sections in the curve of the stainless steel wishbones to drop in the shaft wishbone slots. There are a bunch of others extras and the gun is a totally complete spearfishing package which is very well engineered and assembled and Kevin has done a great job in integrating the hand rail timber as the wood gleams like new with a silky finish and wonderful grain character.

Once you lay your eyes on one of these guns you will want to own it, so I suggest that if you want one they are going to disappear pretty fast when enough people have seen them "in the flesh". I got so excited that when I started typing this I got up to quickly check something and caught my foot on a power adapter cable and heard the crash as the laptop and all that is plugged into it headed for the carpeted floor. No harm done and now I am back in business typing this up and am very pleased that the gun arrived here in perfect condition, protected by multi-layers of high tech silvery packing that held the gun in the shipping box as snug as a bug in a rug.
I think he likes it

Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #27
popgun pete

Here are photos taken just a few moments ago. They show my RX alongside the new "Wind Song" KB SIGNATURE Limited Edition gun, this one is #52.

On the timber barrel there are some flat sections which show some fine patina reminiscent of the timber's previous service on the seas and this entirely adds to the romance of these fine weapons. Everywhere in the fit and assembly shows the painstaking detail necessary to create weapons that will endure and serve for a very long time. My photos have tried to capture this, but the only way you will know for sure is to lay your hands on one, however letting go may not be so easy! In short these are magnificent weapons and a perfection of the gun builder's art.

Later I will review the neat muzzle flashlight, but as you can see it is still in its packaging.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ocean Rhino RX and new Wind Song serial no. 52 SIGNATURE Limited Edition R.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	241957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind Song timber patina R.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	241959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind Song muzzle flashlight R.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	241960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind Song name paneL R.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	241961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean Rhino RX and Wind Song top view R.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	241962  

Name:	Ocean Rhino Wind Song and RX R.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	241963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean Rhino handle comparison RX and Wind Song SIGNATURE L.E.R2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	241965  

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-27-2019 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added some more photos which I missed including
Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #28
popgun pete

Note that in the flat side sections of the timber stock that some of the original exposed hand rail surface remains as it has the patina of micro-wear from countless hands and rings and watches that may have contacted the timber as people gazed out to sea leaning on the hand rail. That is a very nice touch and you can see it if you look closely at the last set of photos. Kevin told me that he was able to use nearly 100% of the timber as only material was cut off for the end sections and some curve rounding and tapers which means that much of the hand rail remains. I attach a photo sent to me of the handrail timber awaiting its recall to duty after being stacked and nearly forgotten for 15 years after it was salvaged from the "Wind Song" luxury cruise ship that evoked the days of sea travel under sail in a modern take on the windjammer.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #29
popgun pete

At first glance I thought that the muzzle moldings were the same, but the "Wind Song" muzzle has a larger hole in the lower front of the muzzle than the corresponding hole on the earlier RX. The flashlight instructions say that this new version of the muzzle dates from 2015 and the mounting hole is for the new flashlight, or a bayonet for poking away things you don’t want coming too close. Because the flashlight projects out the front it is made quite robustly and not some skimpy bit of alloy turning that you see on some lightweight terrestrial flashlights. A twist turn bezel turns it on and off as is usual for this type of underwater flashlight. It occurs to me that a laser could go in here as well in a similar sized package. Or even a switchable light and laser. I recently saw some kids with plastic AR15 assault rifles and Barrett sniper rifles all tooled up with laser (red and green) sights and big scopes and holographic sights it looked like they were ready for World War III, all out of China of course. In the West people are often debating if kid’s should have toy guns, but there are no such doubts in China as the array of kid’s military 1:1 scale model weapons there would not be out of place in an edition of “Firepower” magazine.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #30
Dbrown

No spareshaft holders?! Kevin's holding out on you!
I see you have the hidden and often forgotten kill spike in the butt of your new wood gun. Handy for dispatching fish. Molded contoured handle.

The new spare shaft holder clips that go into the wood have been re-engineered to be lower profile, more hydrodynamic, and to prevent any possible line hang up for those that choose to line shaft. Thye work well. The rear slip in tubes for the spare shaft screw in to the predrilled holes in the butt of the gun. They remain the same.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote