Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Crist R&D spear

I'm in the last stages of my new big game spear. It's nothing spectacular so don't get too excited. It will be the same weight and for the most part design as my current spear.
One area I’m having a tough time deciding on, is how will the shafts be connected.
Being I make these for "you," "you" should have some say so in it.
The current shafts has two small opposing dimples a ½” from the end. The front of the spear has two ¼”-28 set-screws (grub) that when tightened holds the shaft very well.

This design was something I thought would come in handy to those that don’t have access to 5/16”-24 thread shafts. They could take any speargun 5/16” shaft and cut it down, grind two small flats where the setscrews make contact and they’re in business.
Of all the spears I have sold I have only heard of a handful of users making their own shafts or modify speargun shafts.

Other polespear manufactures make 5/16”-24 threaded shafts. Omer Puig and Odor. I know a lot of you have these spears and having multiple designed shafts can be a pain keeping track of everything.

So what I’m after is, should I keep the current set-screw design or go with a 5/16”-24 female thread?

I have an R&D spear that I would like to send to someone that has put a lot of time behind one of my 8’ spears hunting larger fish. The testing needs to be as soon as possible on 30lb+ fish with 50lb+ even better. The spear will be an 8’ 2-pc and will come with 2-threaded flopper shafts.
If you think you’re that person, please email or phone me.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Crist R&D spear

my vote would be for 5/16" 24 threads . less parts and its a lot ezer to find a pair of vise grips on a boat than a Allen key , if you do go with a grub screw use the same size as a surfboard fin key ,most of us have one on our key chain and spares everywhere .
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
classtimesailer

I like the Crist way of attaching the shaft. If it ain't broke...

We have one of the other brands in the house and the set screws are superior.

Now, if you go threaded, I predict that your new spear will also be superior.

Maybe you could offer a threaded option but I don't see the point.

Jeff
classtimesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
sacha58

Why don't you use the standard 5/16 thread with a slightly deeper pocket, so that above the thread you could also have the 2 dings in the shaft and the 2 small screws?
Thread as a rule and screws as added safety against unscrewing the shaft...
Ok it looks like a screwed up reasoning

Another suggestion... some of us are so weak that using a relatively heavy spear with powerful bands is a problem... why don't you make also a lighter, but still solid, 8 footer? In 2 pieces....

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
fishbuster229

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspearo View Post
I'm in the last stages of my new big game spear. It's nothing spectacular so don't get too excited. It will be the same weight and for the most part design as my current spear.
One area I’m having a tough time deciding on, is how will the shafts be connected.
Being I make these for "you," "you" should have some say so in it.
The current shafts has two small opposing dimples a ½” from the end. The front of the spear has two ¼”-28 set-screws (grub) that when tightened holds the shaft very well.

This design was something I thought would come in handy to those that don’t have access to 5/16”-24 thread shafts. They could take any speargun 5/16” shaft and cut it down, grind two small flats where the setscrews make contact and they’re in business.
Of all the spears I have sold I have only heard of a handful of users making their own shafts or modify speargun shafts.

Other polespear manufactures make 5/16”-24 threaded shafts. Omer Puig and Odor. I know a lot of you have these spears and having multiple designed shafts can be a pain keeping track of everything.

So what I’m after is, should I keep the current set-screw design or go with a 5/16”-24 female thread?

I have an R&D spear that I would like to send to someone that has put a lot of time behind one of my 8’ spears hunting larger fish. The testing needs to be as soon as possible on 30lb+ fish with 50lb+ even better. The spear will be an 8’ 2-pc and will come with 2-threaded flopper shafts.
If you think you’re that person, please email or phone me.

Set screws suck especially in saltwater. Your going to have two problems 1) corrosion on the threads of the set screw and you wont be able to change tips 2) if its an allen head your going to strip it esp if your really trying to torque the set screw on or off. Ive shot stuff with my polespear up to 60-70 lbs with a screw on tip and i have yet had a tip back out on me. good luck with it and thats my 2 cents
randy
fishbuster229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
classtimesailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbuster229 View Post
Set screws suck especially in saltwater. Your going to have two problems 1) corrosion on the threads of the set screw and you wont be able to change tips 2) if its an allen head your going to strip it esp if your really trying to torque the set screw on or off. Ive shot stuff with my polespear up to 60-70 lbs with a screw on tip and i have yet had a tip back out on me. good luck with it and thats my 2 cents
randy
I've had my Crist for 5-6 years. These set screws don't suck. Perfect. Secure. Easy in and out to change tips. No corrosion.
classtimesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Randy, my current spear has set-screws and this design is 10yrs old. I've had a grand total of 5 spears sent back for repairs and 4 where from not following the "care instructions".
When I built my first spear I was skeptical about the set-screws as well but with a little dab of anti-seize or silicone grease the problems of galling or corrosion hasn't been an issue.

I'm interested in what the end user wants, set screws or a threaded shaft. As of now it's 50/50. I'm thinking I over analyzed this.

Sacha58 I've ran tests with multiple threads and even a single setscrew holding a shaft without the added security of the dimples and the shaft didn't budge.

My current spear is just one design of many dozen I've made. Some work better some worse. I have a middle weight design that a few here on the board have tried out and it is half the weight of my normal spear but a 1/2" polespear band is required to get it going. My carbon over aluminum spears designs are ultra stiff and of a medium weight and they still need a 1/2" polespear band to make them move. We don't need a lot of band if we can always get within a couple feet of the fish. Its those 6'-7' shots from an 8' spear that requires the 70lb band. My polespear designs require a minimum of a 1/2" band and larger. I like to build middle to heavy weight spears.
There are plenty of reputable manufactures making spears that come with lower weight bands( bands 7/16" and under.)

I will be looking at making my next spear with the option of set screws or 5/16" thread..

Thanks for your insight guys.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
sacha58

Looking forward to your new spear :-))

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote