Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:35 PM   #1
mallardtone-man

Anyone used Seac Partner or Pyle Freedive watches?

I am slowly working at becoming a better freediver and desiring an affordable dive watch to help me track my progress. I have read a fair amount about the pyle watches, here and elsewhere and reviews are very mixed. Some people like it, many have issues. I just purchased one to give a shot and for $65 it is certainly not a major risk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only other watch I have found that seems relatively cheap and got good reviews from the few I could find is the seac partner, which also has surface time which is a nice feature. Im just wondering if anyone has tried this one or the pyle and has any input?

https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-div...er/136991692/p
Old 04-17-2019, 01:45 AM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Anyone used Seac Partner or Pyle Freedive watches?

I bought one of the Pyle watches, the green one, to replace my ageing Casio SNK-100. I don't see any problems bar it took a good push on one of the buttons before one function worked and for a moment I thought that it was faulty, but it now seems OK. Of course the bezel is there to mimic a dive watch, but it does nothing and is only there for decoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	casio snorkel depth meter watch SNK-100.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	242157   Click image for larger version

Name:	pyle watch.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	242158  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:25 AM   #3
mallardtone-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
I bought one of the Pyle watches, the green one, to replace my ageing Casio SNK-100. I don't see any problems bar it took a good push on one of the buttons before one function worked and for a moment I thought that it was faulty, but it now seems OK. Of course the bezel is there to mimic a dive watch, but it does nothing and is only there for decoration.
Same one that I bought. I hear a lot of things about premature failures but this is not a major concern as I purchased through amazon and can just get another one and return the broken item if this occurs. There is also a stopwatch feature that can be used to monitor surface time. I hear it takes a couple seconds to register depth changes as well but again that doesn't worry me.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Not automatically measuring your surface interval is a total deal killer. Find a used Suunto mosquito or D4 or Aeris (Oceanic) f10. They will do everything you need and do it well.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
jersymudsniper

My pyle and every buddy i know that had one lasted about a year. The buttons stop working and get rust i.side. Limmited functions also. Better then nothing but a regular timex is more durable jmo. Maybe mako will cut you a bro deal on a f10 if ya call.

Last edited by jersymudsniper; 04-17-2019 at 01:40 PM.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:15 AM   #6
popgun pete

The Pyle is selling purely on price and that price is a discount on what they wanted to sell them for, but of course then no one would buy one! I thought it was worth a shot as I have plenty of dive watches, including a bunch of Tunas, but the Casio was nice and light and unfortunately discontinued a very long time ago. I have had two of them, bought at the same time when they were sold off for 90 bucks each, when initally they were 300 bucks each. The first one got crunched and busted the spring bar lug on one side and the second one must be nearing the end of its life.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
mallardtone-man

I watched a video about that button problem. Apparently some people pull them and pack them with grease and it helps. Saw a video where a guy replaced the rusted out magnets and re-greased them to get them to work again. The other big issues I have read about are the screens leaking which can be solved by removing bezel and sealing better, as well as early battery failure and improper battery replacement causing leaks.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
mallardtone-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosstnfound View Post
Not automatically measuring your surface interval is a total deal killer. Find a used Suunto mosquito or D4 or Aeris (Oceanic) f10. They will do everything you need and do it well.
I have no luck finding anything used for a deal. At least for now I can measure surface time with the stop watch or normal time function. The seac watch does measure it but costs an extra 100, which is not THAT much more but I have read some negative things about some of their other more expensive dive watches leaking and having other issues so im reluctant to spend that on something i don't even know will last longer than the pyle. We will see maybe ill pick one up and sell the pyle to a friend.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
jersymudsniper

I got 3 kids and a stay at home wife. I know all about trying to save money. But i'v learned buying things twice doesnt save money. Hopefully your watch holds up a while though. If not just get a f10. Its a good watch for the money. Its cheap compared to alot of other watches. And it doesnt have scuba features on it that i wouldnt use.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #10
popgun pete

One way to keep rust at bay is to put your watch in water overnight in a tumbler full of tap water. I did this with my Casio’s, but the downside was the original band cracked as they then did not like long term soaking. That was no problem as I used the watches with Tekna Velcro strap bands with the sprung loaded stainless steel buckles. You can see the Casio on my wrist in my avatar.

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-19-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
popgun pete

Just had this offered up as being on special: 160 bucks, was 236 bucks!

https://www.divestock.com/i/cressi-l...wrist-computer

Also the Salvimar One Freediving model https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-div...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
for about 95 bucks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cressi dive watch.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	242181  

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-19-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #12
Marco

I have the Mares Smart Apnea for 4 years now (and 3 battery changes, which you do by yourself) and it's still going strong. My kids had the Salvimar and didn't last two years. Additionally, it doesn't show surface time. I had the Suunto and the Aeris. If I have to buy one, it would be another Mares.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #13
popgun pete

The Cressi "Leonardo" arrived yesterday, they have been around for about 4 years and are being superseded by the “Michelangelo”, hence the drop in price. I bought the grey and black model. Unlike the Pyle not a daily wearer watch as too big, but that is due to the screen size on all these dedicated dive computers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cressi Leonardo grey and black.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	242539