Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing > California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA)

California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA) Here is a dedicated forum for the extremely important MLPA & MPA process

Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
halibutmike
Mouth Breather

LA Times: Volunteers to help patrol new marine sanctuaries

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,4136717.story

Read the article...

Some interesting quotes...

"Although the state Department of Fish and Game has widely publicized the new protected areas, releasing maps, coordinates and a mobile website, fishing groups say there is bound to be some confusion about the boundaries. Throwing third-party monitors into the mix could lead to altercations on the water, they say.

"If a private citizen with no authority comes up and tells fishermen not to do something, they may or may not believe the person is telling them the truth," said Bob Fletcher, an advisor and past president of the Sportfishing Assn. of California, an industry group that opposes the sanctuaries that were adopted. "It may just create animosity between the environmentalists and fishing groups, who are going to be affected very negatively by these areas because they were really productive."

Fish and Game officials stressed that only their officers can enforce the law. Still, the agency intends to act on information from environmental groups and from a poaching tip line described as "a confidential secret witness program."

"We don't have any illusion that we're going to catch everybody," said Paul Hamdorf, assistant chief of the agency's law enforcement division, who oversees wardens in Southern California. "But if these groups are noticing a lot of violations every Saturday at a particular time and it would direct us how to best use our resources, then we might use it."

Those found fishing in a closed area could face a warning and reminder about the restrictions, a ticket or arrest."

RIP: Spearfishing in Laguna 1933-2011.

Remembering Laguna

The Only Places Left in Laguna to Spearfish.
halibutmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
zax

Re: LA Times: Volunteers to help patrol new marine sanctuaries

I'll just take out my mini submarine and park underwater at the MPA spot and launch spearfishing underwater and finish underwater Problem solved.
zax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
The Freediver
I love railguns...

I'm so sick of California.
The Freediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

soon they will be calling in the navy and coast guard to enforce them
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

Quote:
Among the biggest supporters of these aquatic reserves are the several dozen volunteers who have signed up with Santa Barbara Channelkeeper to walk the coast with binoculars and clipboards, noting every boat, surfboard, kayak, float tube and shore angler they see.

Though some groups such as Heal the Bay are not instructing volunteers to report suspected poachers, others plan to motor up to fishing boats that they find in the sanctuaries, confront them and contact authorities.
Just what we need, more idiotic enviro vigilantes. Who wants to guess on how many hours it's going to take before some wannabe whale wars enviros start charging up to people who are actually right outside closed areas?

It's going to be like the children's pool only all up and down the coast, they're going to intimidate people who aren't 100% sure of their rights into leaving areas that are open.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
zenspearo

I've just perfected my Remote Go-Pro rig. I need to test it out to film from my boat or canoe some of the amazing wildlife they say would be in the reserves. Completely legal, mind you. Not a single hook or fishing gear is in the water.

Hypothetically speaking, do you think that jigging this up and down in Laguna waters may result in a flood of calls to DFG...eventually causing DFG to conclude that Bluebelts or Laguna calls or any call from Laguna would be a waste of time?

I wouldn't want to do that now, would I ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Go Pro Rig.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	165555  

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibutmike View Post
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,4136717.story

Read the article...

Some interesting quotes...

"Although the state Department of Fish and Game has widely publicized the new protected areas, releasing maps, coordinates and a mobile website, fishing groups say there is bound to be some confusion about the boundaries. Throwing third-party monitors into the mix could lead to altercations on the water, they say.

"If a private citizen with no authority comes up and tells fishermen not to do something, they may or may not believe the person is telling them the truth," said Bob Fletcher, an advisor and past president of the Sportfishing Assn. of California, an industry group that opposes the sanctuaries that were adopted. "It may just create animosity between the environmentalists and fishing groups, who are going to be affected very negatively by these areas because they were really productive."

Fish and Game officials stressed that only their officers can enforce the law. Still, the agency intends to act on information from environmental groups and from a poaching tip line described as "a confidential secret witness program."

"We don't have any illusion that we're going to catch everybody," said Paul Hamdorf, assistant chief of the agency's law enforcement division, who oversees wardens in Southern California. "But if these groups are noticing a lot of violations every Saturday at a particular time and it would direct us how to best use our resources, then we might use it."

Those found fishing in a closed area could face a warning and reminder about the restrictions, a ticket or arrest."

Das Gut! Now, you tell me...who else...you get cookie after you say...

Enviro Brown Shirts. History does repeat itself if unchecked.

+1 on GoPro surveys by Spearos to assist the process. Mines on spinning gear though.

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
friendlyfire
all about keyboard divin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSurfer View Post
im going to enforce the MLPA like a masked superhero. all violators will be cited.

Best username/profile pic ever.
friendlyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
tommy7

How appropriate that the LA TIMES ran the article..... I say RE-CALL Jerry BROWN is the only way that the powers that be will take notice of our anger and commitment to repeal these tree hugger rules....
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Spearforfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspearo View Post
I've just perfected my Remote Go-Pro rig. I need to test it out to film from my boat or canoe some of the amazing wildlife they say would be in the reserves. Completely legal, mind you. Not a single hook or fishing gear is in the water.

Hypothetically speaking, do you think that jigging this up and down in Laguna waters may result in a flood of calls to DFG...eventually causing DFG to conclude that Bluebelts or Laguna calls or any call from Laguna would be a waste of time?

Mine is all set up on the end of my speargun.... er.... "camera platform". I have removed the shaft/line and am removing the trigger mech just so nobody could possibly think I am "fishing" with it. I will also have my lobster.... er.... "gear bag" with me

Remarking on a few things I have researched..... The fish and game have no special right to search non-fishermen. If you have not been fishing and they demand a search, they have possibly violated the law in doing so. Also, you do not have to show your fishing license or anything if you are not fishing. I plan to do my "MPA monitoring" in my full camo wetsuit etc... which is absolutely not only legal but encouraged in the MPAs. If stopped, I will be polite but not answer any questions besides my name and address (they might be trying to trip me up and "anything I say can and will be used against me in a court of law"). I will refuse consent to search any of my gear in any way and if they insist, they will be getting complaints.

As for the enviro-activists, If they motor up to me in their boat, I will be reporting them to the coast guard, the department of boating and waterways and DFG. Remember, for a FGC 2009 violation, "interfere with" means: "any action which physically impedes, hinders, or obstructs the lawful pursuit of"... game. Likewise, "Actions taken for the purpose of frightening away animals from the location where the lawful activity is taking place" (such as driving a boat up to my fishing location) count. As long as I am outside an MPA and legally fishing (which of course I would be doing). I imagine we will see more 2009 violations this year than any previous year! We should demand this law be enforced. The wardens don't just protect the wildlife, they protect the hunters.
Spearforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
CaptainLeo

I tell you what, the first time someone comes up to me and tries to tell me I can't fish somewhere is going to be eating through a straw for a few months.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearforfun View Post
Remarking on a few things I have researched..... The fish and game have no special right to search non-fishermen. If you have not been fishing and they demand a search, they have possibly violated the law in doing so. Also, you do not have to show your fishing license or anything if you are not fishing.
That's a fantastic observation, good to know
Old 12-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
Bob Ballew

they will issue warnings for a few months until public knowledge spreads...I may volunteer to police it...of course, I will need to take my speargun for protection from you radical elements...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
outdooryakn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspearo View Post

That is awsome need to rig some trolling rods to go with it. I have the DFG ste open and cant find anything on laguna about transiting through the area. Get a paddle board and load up with 2 guns and walk down the beach get in then just go for a work out. Take the shafts off and have a buddy flim the whole thing so when dfg shows up just tell them there was no intention of fishing just working on securing your gear on your new board and going for a work out. O wait that might be illegal "Working out" in a SMR or SMCA. Even better head offshore get some paddy YT then paddle board into the beach that will get bluebelts fired up. I know I'm stiring the pot and am sorry for it but you have to laugh a little at the idiots that think they are helping the earth.

Good luck this year,

Michael
outdooryakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
they will issue warnings for a few months until public knowledge spreads...I may volunteer to police it...of course, I will need to take my speargun for protection from you radical elements...
Be careful; you wouldn't want to wind up like a cop stuck in jail..................