Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings

Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings This forum is intended for Rest in Peace Threads where we as a community offer condolences and memorialize those diver who have passed away. Safety, Accidents and Incidents discussion has a separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #46
North Star
Max

Re: Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-8-14

Thank you Andrew, for sharing that incredibly painful story with us. Nate was a great diver, and a solid contributor to this board.

You did the right thing, and you did all you could, in the situation you were faced with. You are forever blessed for having had such a wonderful friend for as long as you did.

Nate's life will continue to contribute to yours as long as you remember him and the rich blessing he brought to you, and in that sense, he is with you today and as long as you live. May God bring comfort to your heart.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #47
AndrewK

Re: Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-8-14

Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #48
woodshooter

R.I.P. Nate.
woodshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #49
searun
Shawn

Andrew I am very sorry for your loss. Nate must have been a heck of a guy. RIP.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #50
AndrewK

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/the...&pid=171301448

this is nates obituary. please keep his family in your prayers.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #51
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/the...&pid=171301448

this is nates obituary. please keep his family in your prayers.
Thanks for sharing that well written and loving obituary Andrew. I converted it into an image here:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nathan-Romig-Obituary_-Nathan-Romig’s-Obituary-by-the-The-Advocate.jpg
Views:	1927
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	206730  
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #52
Burnz
People for Kaboat

I hate reading these posts.... Sorry for your loss Andrew and deepest condolences to his family
Burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #53
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thanks for sharing the details Andrew. It had been good speaking with you a few times over the past days since the tragedy. If any memorials happen in Florida, please let the community know. Thanks, Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
im going to get this out there now.

friday i noticed the weather window and told nate we should get out. small mako flats boat he has so had to pick and choose our days.

we dropped the boat at the ramp the night before. tied up at our condos dock. left at 530am to go troll offshore for mahi. nate always insisted just the two of us on the boat as it fills up fast with our dive gear and fishing gear.

we fished offshore successfully and moved in to the reef to do some diving. i had two tanks on the boat, i did one drift with a dive flag float along some 80 ft stuff, got some fish and came up.

moved nate to a trench off north miami. the reef is 45 -50 at the top, 60 in the bottom of the trnech and its about 30 feet wide. nate was an extremely competent freediver and told me to just keep the boat unanchored, he wouldnt be in long since he was tired. having dove with him for the past 2 and a half years ive always known his habits. he dives with a reel on his gun and hates floatlines. refused to ever use one. the last thing i said to him before he dropped down was to watch for blacks at the spot, and he disappeared through the murk layer on the surface.

i waited 2 minutes, maybe 3. nate had a habit of popping up but being discreet about it. he had a habit of getting away from my direct line of sight and coming back to me out of nowhere whenever we dove.

i saw a fish tail floating on the surface. moved the boat to pick it up figuring he was right next to it. i picked up the black grouper and threw it in the boat and looked around. no nate. i yelled hs name. i screamed his name over and over again. i threw the anchor over as quick as i could and tied off while calling 911. i was praying that hed left the fish for me to pick up, that he swam off or got blown down current and wasnt giving me a sign yet.

at 12:23 pm on sunday i called 911. by 12:29 the firstpolice boat arrived on scene. by 12:41 nate was located and brought to the surface by rescuers. i had to watch as they began CPR and brought him onto the police boat, they took off so fast to get him to a waiting ambulance. I cut the anchor line on our boat and followed fast as i could.

the rest i dont remember what time it was . the minute the police officer called the hospital and told me nate was gone a thunderstorm rolled in and i just cried and cried.

on sunday i lost my dive buddy, my roommate, my best friend. I made him promisee to be the best man at my wedding. he helped me save my relationship with my girlfriend this winter. he did so much for me and touched my life and the lives of many others.

i cant write anny more right now
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #54
MahiMan85

Andrew thanks for sharing your story out in the public for us to share and be crutches for you in time of need...... Nate was a great man and his spirit will forever live on, he is no longer on this earthly plane but believe me he is still in all our hearts. RIP and we are all here for you, love always like he did and things will find a way a day at a time

http://www.nautilusspearfishing.com/

http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv

F.I.I. Freediving Classes in Miami
Spearfishing Gear and Acc.
MahiMan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #55
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Really sucks when young guys pass even before their prime. RIP and condolences to the family and friends.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #56
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

I'm sorry for your loss, Andrew. I'll keep Nate's family in my prayers.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #57
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

I'm so sorry. Nate was a great guy on the board. This is a dangerous sport.
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #58
AndrewK

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=174147
Old 06-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #59
Tiny

Wow, very sorry to hear bout this. RIP. Praying for you and your family.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #60
AndrewK

Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-...

Miami dade marine patrol called me this Morning. They returned nates speargun to me. It was found with the shaft out and no reel line stripped off, just floating in the current right next to where he died.

The gun originally belonged to hau and is a one of a kind rob Allen Carbon 120cm gun with a prototype tin man muzzle and a rob Allen stainless reel. Trying to figure out how to hang it on the wall now.

Last edited by AndrewK; 06-15-2014 at 01:08 PM.
AndrewK is offline   Reply With Quote