Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #31
tromic

Re: Cyrano Evo HF Hands On Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrom1207 View Post
So. Did you get the tomba on it? How do you like it? Have you noticed much of a difference?
Yes, there is a huge difference in shooting performance, but not only because of Tomba vacuum barrel muzzle. But because of overall much more hydrodynamic spear, including thinner mono line (1 mm). Well, actually that are all elements of Tomba benefits.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8x9r64o0kuxhxh/Tomba.pdf
tromic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #32
artiz

Thanks for all your posts here guys... I most certainly will not be buying one of these then.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:33 PM   #33
Marco

Well, I'm using this gun with good success for almost a year now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRaitRc74ao

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #34
popgun pete

Mares may find a better use for the "Cyrano Evo" by transforming its hull and rear handle assembly into a new version of the "Mirage" and fixing all the small design errors at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirage Evo comp 2R.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	229924  
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #35
Marco

Is there a Mirage EVO coming?

Old 11-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #36
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Is there a Mirage EVO coming?
Who knows, it is a possibility as the "Evo" is a high mount inner barrel pneumatic gun and so was the "Mirage". Past history shows the "Cyrano" rear handle (circa 1994) was used to create the "Sten 2001" model. Previously the "Sten" was the "Sten 87" model, but by opening up the interior mounting sleeve in the "Cyrano" rear handle plastic molding the larger OD barrel tube for the "Sten" could be used. The "Sten" is traditionally a 13 mm ID inner barrel gun. The "Sten 11" is the old "Spark", but it seems odd to confuse everyone by giving it that name.

Anyway say after xx years we are to see a "Sten 20xx", that should be a "Cyrano Evo" with a 13 mm ID inner barrel. In my view that would not be a good idea as "Sten" users will then be reaching for their Mares "designer voodoo dollies" and a fresh supply of hat pins, having exhausted their last lot on the "Evo" creators. This is because the "Sten" has always been a concentric inner barrel tube gun and it should stay that way.

The only other option for the "Cyrano Evo" handle is to make a 13 mm inner barrel gun that is not a "Sten", and that gun would have to be a "Mirage", in which case they can then fix both those guns as they had design flaws, although they were not "show stoppers".
Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 AM   #37
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
The only other option for the "Cyrano Evo" handle is to make a 13 mm inner barrel gun that is not a "Sten", and that gun would have to be a "Mirage", in which case they can then fix both those guns as they had design flaws, although they were not "show stoppers".
By chance I rediscovered this thread and the answer to the speculation above is the "Cyrano 1.3", but no "Mirage Evo". As for the "Evo" Mares quietly turned it into the "Cyrano 1.1", ditched the fore-aft adjustable trigger for a metal one and a metal line release with new geometry.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #38
Marco

I'm still using those guns with success. Cyranos 1.1 HFT though. 100 and 120

Old 09-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #39
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
I'm still using those guns with success. Cyranos 1.1 HFT though. 100 and 120
You don't have the metal trigger and metal line release on any of them, right?
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #40
Marco

Yes I do. Both of them are the latest version. I lost the old one to a fish. The reel got tangled at 20 meters deep...

Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #41
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Yes I do. Both of them are the latest version. I lost the old one to a fish. The reel got tangled at 20 meters deep...
So, do you have the 13mm barrel versions now? If so, remember a vacuum muzzle makes more of a difference on a 13mm barrel than it does on an 11mm one. Some say there's up to a 20% increase in efficiency/power.

Reason I am asking about the trigger is that I used that same handle on a build of mine and I find that trigger and line release an absolute abomination. You won't often find me talking trash about any product like this but I seriously think Mares effed up on this one.
If I put just a bit of pressure on the line release when wrapping the shooting line I have so much friction in the trigger I have no idea when it releases. It's extremely smooth with a slack line on the release but with tighter wraps it just goes nuts and has zero consistency.
I guess the difference is that you use it with a reel, so you don't really end up with any load on the release whereas my setup has a breakaway on it, so ends up tighter.
I even measured it in a dry test where the trigger pull went from an easy 700g with no load on the line release to a whopping 2.5kg with three wraps at what I judged to be a real world load on the line release. After a few shots, I feel it got even worse to the point of me really having to squeeze hard to get off a shot.
I am fairly sure that trigger cost me a very, very nice grouper and two smaller doggies from not letting off when I squeezed the trigger with the pressure, I expected it to go off at. Its inconsistency is just a mess.

That said, I think you will be fine as long as you hunt with a reel or a very soft bungee. If you ever put a breakaway on it, let me know if you experience the same.
I had to pull my trigger out midway through a hunting trip to see if polishing it (again) would help and it does for a little while. But if you pump your guns by hand, that's a real hassle to have to do just to check the trigger. I think I can remedy the issue by making the line release in a much smoother plastic though so it's not the end of the world.

On the plus side, they made a great safety on this handle. I don't normally care for safeties but when it's ON you can literally feel it without even looking - it will poke into your finger whereas when it is OFF, it just lies smooth and you don't notice it is there. Clever.
One more thing they got right: The transverse pin which holds the sear lever in place in the barrel also works to make sure the barrel doesn't twist when assembling the gun but some manufactures skimp on the sidewall thickness of the handle in the area that hold this pin from turning. Not so here. It's super sturdy so you can really tighten up the gun during assembly without risk.

Sorry to hear you lost the old gun, you took some great fish on that little beast (90cm?). But cool to hear you got two new replacements

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-17-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #42
Marco

Too many questions at once!

I stayed with 11 mm wet barrell. It has worked well for me. I don't think I need the extra power (and failure probability) af a vacuum barrell.

Only mod I have done to these guns is the slider, which I changed by a titanium Pelengas. Very good! I strongly recommend it. You have to take the ring (and spring if any) off, though.

The trigger does have the problem to become hard if you put too much pressure to the line release, as most guns do, both bands and pneumatics. I don't pull the wraps too tight and I only use two loops. With reel. I have used breakaway and, with a soft bungee, it works well too.

A UHMW PE or Delryn line release would be nice. If you make any, please ship me a couple. I pay for them.

You're right on the safety. That's the first thing I take off all my guns and I haven't done it with these. For that very same reason; it is virtually impossible to have it engaged without noticing it.

One weak point of these guns is the power regulator. Apparently, when they assemble them, it is screwed together, but they don't use any thread sealer or adhesive, so after repeated use, it comes appart (it is a two piece screwed lever) making it useless. Fortunately, it stays in the "high" position. I think that putting some adhesive in the threads when assembling would do the trick, but you have to depressurize and dissasemble the whole gun to do that. I'm not doing it unless I need to do any other major repair.

The gun I lost was a 100 cm. I have them pumped to 25 ATM. More than enough.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #43
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Cyrano Evo HF Hands On Review

Damn, I just lost another post so here we go again...

Gotcha, on the 11mm, I just wasn't sure they came with that trigger. Not as much advantage in vacuum muzzle, then.

Phew, "happy" to hear it was not just me who experienced the trigger issue. Some of the newer (?) band gun triggers put the line release behind the shaft. Not under it, not jamming on the side nor the sear. Makes sense to put it behind, I guess.

Cyrano Line Release in plastic: My "dream" is to get a small CNC router and it might happen, but it will take a year or so, but it would be easy to cut some delrin releases on a router. Until then, I might try to make some in 3D printed polycarbonate which is the strongest consumer filament I can get.

But if you are willing to drop the self resetting spring you could make one with hand tools (if you don't need the spring, the shaping is easier).
Take the release out, place it on some plastic with the correct thickness, shape away and drill one hole. Done.
You can pull the release out without taking the air out, so it's a fairly small project. The line release sits on a bushing which is press fit into the handle. Insert an M3 bolt/screw (I think it is) into the female thread of the bushing and pull straight down. The bushing will come out and so will the line release. I am attaching a pic of how the screw inserts into the bushing.

Power regulator coming loose: Happens to me, too. Even with medium Loctite on clean threads.
Does Pete have a trick?

BUT if you actually don't use the power regulator at all - perhaps you don't on the longer gun, then one modification done by quite a few is to pull out the power regulator bulkhead completely. The reason is there's a small hole in the bulkhead that the air has to pass through during a high power shot and supposedly that small hole reduces the air flow quite a bit.
At least it used to be so, as the hole was only 7mm but on your gun it is 9mm, but it is my gut feeling there might still be a power increase to be found by getting rid of it.
(On the other hand, I forgot you said you have enough power but I will leave the comment up for other potential modders).

One reversible way to try this mod is to pull the bulkhead but leave the power regulator in the handle (the "hardcore" guys pull out the power regulator, too and close the hole with epoxy).

Lastly, 25 ATM for an 11mm gun is not extreme at all, I think a lot of guys are around 30 bar for 11mm pistons. But it's probably a very good sweet spot in terms of increasing durability and ease of loading. And if you have enough power, why increase it

PS. I think I once said I would ship you a Predathor replacement trigger assembly with a thinner trigger pin... But it wasn't as easy to design a good one as I thought as the Predathor o-ring groove design is kinda weird, haha. So, it took me days just to get one made that seemed to work with my gun - that whole saga is described here. But I haven't had a chance to really test it out properly hence why, I didn't feel good sending you one, either. Sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GECKOSUB_EVO_MIRAGE_430_800PIX.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	244041  

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-17-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #44
popgun pete

The reason besides being necessary for its assembly that the power regulator lever control arm screws into the power regulator shaft is so that it does not rotate the power regulator piston as it moves into the transfer port and potentially undo the piston plug or damage the "O" ring. When you lift the arm in the selector gate that thread connection allows some movement without rotating the power regulator shaft. That method of assembly has been around ever since Mares made the power regulator block guns going back to the "Titan" as I have pulled them all apart. I have never had a problem with it and shot many versions of that gun from the “Titan”, “Sten” and “Cyrano” guns as well as their many Italian clones.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Power regulator.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	244078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mares Sten power regulator.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	244079  

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-24-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: add a diagram
Old 09-24-2019, 05:52 PM   #45
popgun pete

Here is the new blue Cyrano along with some contemporary weapons.