Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
Everdai

Riffe Mid-Handle Bottom - 20mm band length?

Hey all, I recently picked up a used Riffe Bottom Mid-Handle for $300 - it seems to be in great condition, and the rubber looked good.

I didn't notice that the bands had a weird setup - instead of a single dyneema wishbone, each side of the band has a dyneema loop, with a third piece of dyneema tied to each loop.

While I was out yesterday one of the knots came loose while the band was loaded. So I'm swapping out the bands with a single piece dyneema wishbone.

My question is, all I have is 20mm rubber on hand. The bands on the gun are 9/16" and all I can find on Riffe's site is band length for 9/16".

Does someone have a recommended length for 20mm bands on a riffe Bottom mid handle? using a double wrap and just hunting reefs, probably prefer 2x longer bands over 1 shorter band. But would appreciate any info or advice anyone can offer!
Everdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Everdai

Re: Riffe Mid-Handle Bottom - 20mm band length?

FWIW, I found a diveshop youtube video that recommended adding 5cm band length for every 2cm added band thickness, which worked out to about +6" for me - I made the bands and pull feels similar.

TL;DR - I went from ~20.5" 9/16" bands to ~26.5" 20mm bands and the pull feels close.

Another question though - is 20mm too thick for the wood on a Riffe Bottom? It definitely flexes the wood a little whereas the 9/16' bands were loose in there. Doesn't seem noticeable but I sure don't want to crack the wood!
Old 07-16-2018, 05:29 AM   #3
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdai View Post
I didn't notice that the bands had a weird setup - instead of a single dyneema wishbone, each side of the band has a dyneema loop, with a third piece of dyneema tied to each loop.
That's not a weird setup if you ask me. It mimics the use of inserts (steel, plastic) in each end of the rubber and then the use of a piece of dyneema for the wishbone itself. BUT instead of metal or plastic inserts, they use dyneema inserts. Could it be just a piece of dyneema with a monkeyfist know at the end or a metal donut (brass), or plastic bead.

The joy of this system is that it allows you to change the wishbone whenever it gets damaged (not perfectly polished sharkfins) or inserte/remove bands from a gun on the go. The knots used for attachind the "third" piece of dyneema (the wishbone itself), if done correctly, will not pull out.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
Everdai

Well, they weren't done correctly then because it failed.

Regardless, new bands are cut & tied - not a big deal.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
HurricaneBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdai View Post
Well, they weren't done correctly then because it failed.

Regardless, new bands are cut & tied - not a big deal.
The advantage of the loop setup (or inserts) though is that if the wishbone fails for some reason you can retie the knot to the loop or just grab another short piece of line from your reel and retie that. If you simply tie in then a wishbone failure means the whole band needs to be redone.

Yep the knots tying the wishbone into the loop can fail though if not done right.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Nix

The Riffe Bottom will kick like a mule with more than one 20mm band. Buy a little rubber. 6 feet of 14mm rubber might cost $15 and shoot far better.

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #7
Everdai

thanks for the feedback nix! i'll do that
Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
Nix

Get the low ID bands, primeline.

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote