Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
Diver278

Pathos handles

What is the difference between the D’Angelo 2 and 3 handle is it just the grip? I have the sniper roller 115 and when I bought it I had the grip changed to a different one.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:55 AM   #2
Diver278

Re: Pathos handles

Nobody knows??????????
Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
Mikel_24

I suggest you ask Spearq8 directly. I am sure he knows the difference. He swears by the D'Angelo 1, not so much by the 2.
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
spearq8

I think the D'Angelo 3 handle just has the palm to trigger finger shortened by about 1cm (similar to the D'Angelo 1). I like the D'Angelo 1 handle best because it also has a better trigger than the D'Angelo 2. Of course it is made of plastic and you need to treat it with care ... also the trigger pull is not the smoothest ... but at least it breaks predictably and consistently. Although I have seen one of those plastic boxes split from top ... I think it was due to a bent shaft where someone was trying to smack it in the mech. I personally have never had any problems with the plastic trigger.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
Diver278

Ok thanks. So I take it the housing is the same just different trigger and grip right??
Old 06-21-2018, 03:03 AM   #6
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver278 View Post
Ok thanks. So I take it the housing is the same just different trigger and grip right??

No not at all. The 1 grip has a plastic trigger sear that is also housed in a plastic cassette. The 2 grip has a Stainless Steel trigger that just drops in the handle and is held by a side pin. The 1 plastic trigger actually works very well for small loads, but you need to be careful and not slam the shaft in the mech. Metal always will beat up plastic and you might wear out the top of the mech box ... which could be dangerous as that is the only thing holding preventing your shaft from coming off while loaded. I have seen that on one mech, and there really is very little plastic on top of the mech especially when you count in that they made a center V groove (would have been much stronger without it). In the split mech, I think the guy had a bent shaft in the back and was slamming the shaft in.

The nice thing with the 1 handle is that when you remove the plastic trigger cassette you end up with 13.5mm wide space with the 2 handle you have only 10mm space. A full double roller trigger is about 14.5mm wide ... so a little sanding with a dremel and the trigger will drop in. The thermoplastic is quite soft and is easy to remove material from, but you need to keep an eye out to not remove too much and make the handle structurally weaker. With the DR trigger you also have wings you need to take into account, but there really is nothing that will prevent you from cutting those off and just using one of the pin holes to hold the mech in place in the handle.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:43 AM   #7
Diver278

Ok thanks I have the 2 then I have the 115 sniper roller ET but had the trigger changed to the side release at the Dive shop were I bought it. It doesn’t have the Emers logo on top but looks close to it not sure if it after market or not. Seems to work but a little hard to pull the trigger it’s not like butter as some people would say.

Last edited by Diver278; 06-21-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:43 AM   #8
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver278 View Post
Ok thanks I have the 2 then I have the 115 sniper roller ET but had the trigger changed to the side release at the Dive shop were I bought it. It doesn’t have the Emers logo on top but looks close to it not sure if it after market or not. Seems to work but a little hard to pull the trigger it’s not like butter as some people would say.
A friction trigger is a friction trigger ... the sears will gall no matter how much you try to avoid the problem. Some will work well and a lot of people are using these type of triggers without complaining ... but I can assure you that you that galling affects your accuracy. By far the best default trigger from Pathos is the plastic trigger that comes with the Dangelo 1 handle ... it is also the cheapest. This might change soon.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #9
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
A friction trigger is a friction trigger ... the sears will gall no matter how much you try to avoid the problem. Some will work well and a lot of people are using these type of triggers without complaining ... but I can assure you that you that galling affects your accuracy. By far the best default trigger from Pathos is the plastic trigger that comes with the Dangelo 1 handle ... it is also the cheapest. This might change soon.
Maj, do you think an abellan mech could be modified into a pathos handle(particularly the D1)? I think it's a happy balance between friction trigger and roller triggers. It's also a very small profile compared to other after market mechs. Give us your thoughts on this. I think these Frankenstein setups are opening some new doors and we'll probably start seeing a lot of these similar setups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Renejr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
spearq8

I wouldn't bother with the Abellan trigger as the Pathos Dangelo 1 already has a plastic trigger. I guess if you wanted side line release that would be an option. But the price of the Abellan trigger is more than a double roller trigger and the DR is much better. If you have a spare Abellan trigger that you want to use then for sure it is a possible try. One thing to note, there are two type of Abellan triggers, the newer one is wider to allow mono inside the mech. This mech I think you should avoid ... the Abellan uses a 1.5mm walled mechanism which once you widen the trigger ... is just very weak. I much prefer the older narrower trigger.