Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Craig Winnerman

Has anyone else had MRSA-a Staph Infection

I recently developed a very painful sore on my foot. Finally went to the doc thinking it could be gout, but to far back from big toe. Treatment started for a typical spider bite with Penicillin. After 2 days the blister turned black and grew in size. Went back to doc and they said it was an abses of a staph infection known as MRSA which was starting to eat away at the surrounding flesh.

After a bit of research on Wikipedia, the mentioned that a contributing factor was Flordia beaches especially on the West Coast. I have been cut on my foot many of times by oysters and barnicales.

Just wondering if anyone else in the area has had similiar circumstances.

Guess no Stone Crabbing this Saturday. Leave some for me please.
Craig Winnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Re: Has anyone else had MRSA-a Staph Infection

I had it first in summer 2006, couldnt shoot the St Pete Open, did drink with Marcus and watch the weigh in, had a huge abcess cut open on on my back. I bumped my back on the reef off Sarasota, and thought it was Vibrio. Flesh eating virus. Can kill you, so can MRSA. I was a paramedic and ran on people all the time that had MRSA. I went to the ER and they sliced it open and stuffed it with cotton tape. I went back a few days later and they said it was MRSA and changed my antibiotic. That was only for 10 days. About 25 days later, while watching for any mosquito like bumps to come up, one came up on my upper left thigh, and when I got back in town, was in the Keys, I went to my doc this time and told him what happened last month, and the treatment. By this time it was a huge spewing boil. Only 2 days from a little mosquito bite looking thing. He said I needed to be on the same antibiotic for 30 days, and I needed to have the abcess removed by a surgeon, and I should go upstairs and make an appointment. I did, and he removed a petit filet mignon from my left upper thigh muscle. About a golf ball/tennis ball sized chunk of meat. He said if I didnt have it removed it would come back. That was 4 plus years ago, I still look at any bug bite looking thing with question. But it hasnt came back at all.

Last edited by stevemc1; 10-13-2011 at 06:25 PM.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc1 View Post
.....he removed a petit filet mignon from my left upper thigh muscle......
Yikes!
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Craig Winnerman

Risk factors

Some of the populations at risk:
People with weak immune systems (people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer patients, transplant recipients, severe asthmatics, etc.)
Diabetics
Intravenous drug users
Use of quinolone antibiotics[6]
Young children
The elderly
College students living in dormitories
People staying or working in a health care facility for an extended period of time
People who spend time in coastal waters where MRSA is present, such as some beaches in Florida and the west coast of the United States[7][8][/b]
People who spend time in confined spaces with other people, including prison inmates, military recruits in basic training,[9] and individuals who spend considerable time in changerooms or gyms.

7.^ Reuters (2009-02-16). "Study: Beachgoers More Likely to Catch MRSA". FoxNews.com.
8.^ Marilynn Marchione (2009-09-12). "Dangerous staph germs found at West Coast beaches". AP
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
FTLA

MRSA is a very common infection to come across these days. I work as a medic now and I would say 7 out of 10 PT's I come across have MRSA...commonly in the nares/sputum/bed sores....

Stevemc1- for you to get it from rubbing against some reef is INSANE! I could not imagine having to deal w/ that.
FTLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Never been diagnosed with MRSA but have been down the staph road too many times.

Here's a pic 3 days after an ant sting on the top of my foot. Never got sub-dermal but required 14 days of strong antibiotics to get rid of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	160941  
Old 10-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Megabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Never been diagnosed with MRSA but have been down the staph road too many times.

Here's a pic 3 days after an ant sting on the top of my foot. Never got sub-dermal but required 14 days of strong antibiotics to get rid of it.
Mmmmmmmmm tasty.

You'd be surprised how common MRSA really is. It's literally everywhere. As said earlier, a nasal swab on a person will typically come back positive for MRSA. Your body's defenses do such a spectacular job of keeping you from becoming infected.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Behslayer

It's common over here in Indonesia. Lot's of friends have had "Spider Bites" that then turn into deep Golf Balls full of Green Crap.. It's re-occuring. It's a PITA to get rid of. Some of my friends swear by eating lots of Garlic. One thing that you shouldn't do is to Self Operate.. Some doctors prefer not to drain the abscess, rather to let Antibiotics run their course. They argue that by draining the abscess through an incision, the infection can be introduced to the bloodstream.

Definitely seek Medical attention, but also consider Naturopathic options for this. Staph is one of those things which still is not a perfect match for modern medicine. There is no quick cure.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
Slusher11
Blacktip Spearguns

MRSA is on everyone!! You just have to make sure you are clean ie showers wash hands all the time and keep clean any open sores or wounds clean at all time or you will get it!!!
Slusher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
julian14!

I agree with slusher11, any one can have MRSA in their skin some more than other especially if you work in the health industry/resident in Nursing homes//etc. But you need to keep the colonies in your skin as low as possible by soap/hand washing/etc. I have multiple friend ID(infectious disease doc) friend of mine. Some of then rec well chlorinated pool dips on occassion.
MRSA is a "mega" bug of the bacteria world. tx with Vancomycin IV/ and if you test positive for it by nasal swab can be tx Bactroban cream
Hope that help u guys. Iam not an infectious dz doc by far but i deal with this bacteria on a daily basis with my patients (diabetics). I'm a Endocrinologist/Hormone doctor.
julian14! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Craig Winnerman

Update******Went to my daily trip to the doctor this am. Turns out it is not MRSA. The preliminary report came back showing gram negative. Doc is now totally confused, but said I am not contagious and should know what it actually is next week. Anyway, one of the 3 antibiotics is taking affect 2 orals and one daily shot in the ass. No more puss is comming out and he removed all packing today.

Thanks for all of the help and sorry for the alarm
Old 10-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
Doc

The amount of misinformation over MRSA; and the sensationalism around it amazes me.

First, the only significant human resevoir for MRSA is people. MRSA is just a simple staph infection that displays resistance to pennicillin.... but it still typically sensitive to bactrim/sulfa; doxycycline/tetracycline; flouroqinolone and rifampin type oral antibiotics.

I worked in and ran high volume urgent care centers and rural emergency Rooms for years; and about 80% of the hundreds of abscesses I saw in Urgent care that I bothered culturing were MRSA.... it is that common. Interestingly about 80% of the people reading this have MRSA right now that can be cultured from your nose or beneath your finger nails... its that common.

A typical scenario is this... you get bit by a mosqito or scratched by a barncle; you stick the same fingers in the wound that were in your nose five minutes ago or scratch the bite with booger fingers and inoculate the MRSA into wound which now starts to grow beneath the skin. I have drained the abscesses from literally every single structure you can think of on the entire human body including the scalp, in the ear canal, in the nose, on the face, trunk, extremities, feet, genitals.... everywhere you scratch you can develop a MRSA abscess.

All of the newest reccomendations support draining the abscess surgically and avoiding the antibiotic... not the other way around! It is usually not needed once the abscess is drained and it will tyically heal on its own. This is the preferred method of dealing with them and avoids the considerable complications of antibiotics.

In patients with significant medical problems or immunosprression of for particularly nasty infections or inffections in nasty areas, antibiotic may decrease the small chance they will spread and may make them heal a bit faster. (and in these rare cases, like one guy I saw who got a spinal abscess, the spread infections can be deadly). Of those who would benefit from an antibiotic, 95% of the time its a simple oral anitibiotic.

All the OUTPA\TIENT- NOT HOSPITAL studies that looked critically at nasal bactroban, full body immersion on chlorhexadine or other toxic soaps have showed no benefit... and why would they? 80% of our population has this stuff all over them everyday, and only a small minority will ever get a MRSA abscess.... and usually it will only happen once.

FOR those with reccurrent abscesses,The real question that most people (and there doctors) should ask themselves is what is wrong with this patients immune systems that allows them to devellop these infections in the first place? What can be done.... other than bathing in chemicals, to reduce the risk in the future to that individual?

There are many ways to stimulate an indviduals immune capacity through elimination of predisposing conditions, optimizing critical hormone levels involved in the immune response (like cortisol and DHEA) as well as diet, nutrition, toxin avoidance and elimanation, and other modalities.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote