Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Benny

Dirtbagging

Recently got a camper shell for my truck to make winter trips a bit more comfortable. I built a platform for an air mattress with a full length drawer under it which works out good but looking to start adding to the setup. I'd like to wire up an outlet for a car charger and maybe a couple reading lights. Also need to figure out some curtains or blinds for the side windows.

Any suggestions or past experience you have in this sort of setup would be appreciated. My goal is to be able to do 3-5 trips without deflating the bed or piling crap all over it since my wife likes to hang out in there while I dive, and I like to pull into camp without having to screw around withg the bed...especially if its raining.

I plan to get a Thule box for the roof to keep my wet gear, and whatever else will fit. If you can reply with any pics of your setup that would be awesome, especially any lights, wiring solutions, solar, cool storage etc. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1591.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	198149  
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
pukahd

Re: Dirtbagging

How about storing your stuff in the bed and putting the wife in a beautiful pop up tent on top of your shell ? That way she can look out the window and watch you dive. I learned to keep the wife happy to keep her going outdoors with ya.

http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/choose.php
http://www.cascadiatents.com/

Last edited by pukahd; 11-09-2013 at 12:06 AM.
pukahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
tommy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukahd View Post
How about storing your stuff in the bed and putting the wife in a beautiful pop up tent on top of your shell ? That way she can look out the window and watch you dive. I learned to keep the wife happy to keep her going outdoors with ya.

Nice looking tents. Very practical and gets you up off the lower level (nice in "bar" country)
Old 11-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Benny

Quote:

Those are badass, and I want my wife to have a good time...which is why I have decided to get one of these badboys at just a smidge (350K'ish) over the cost of one of those tents!

http://globalxvehicles.com/vehicles/pangea-lt/

For real though, those tents are awesome. Thanks
Old 11-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
Pither
I Pith

Love the thread & really like your setup with the slot for coolers & gear along the side. I really like how you can get to the cooler and other items on that side while still comfy on the bed side.
Ran into a couple with a custom camper setup like the one in your last post down in baja in May. Very cool, but at 30k lbs not good handling on the sand or washboard down south...

(Edit: I'd include a photo of the rig if anyone can give me a tip on how to attach photos directly from an iPad portfolio...)
Luck can be replaced with time in water for same results.

Last edited by Pither; 11-09-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Pither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pither View Post
Love the thread & really like your setup with the slot for coolers & gear along the side. I really like how you can get to the cooler and other items on that side while still comfy on the bed side.
Ran into a couple with a custom camper setup like the one in the last post down in baja in May. Very cool, but at 30k lbs not good handling on the sand or washboard down south...
Thanks, and I bet getting one of those stuck in the sand can really ruin your day.

Found a Thule storage box on CL and pick it up tomorrow morning, any advise on a camper rack? I'd like to be able to put decent amount of weight on top, maybe 100-150 pounds. I've heard that the glass campers tend to crack at the lower corners if over maxed. I can either do a regular roof rack, or theres the utility style that have flat bar down the sides, and then the full on lumber rack style. I don't want to go lumber rack style, but anyone had luck with the utlity racks?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hacaphdbig[1].jpg
Views:	252
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	198162  
Old 11-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
Pither
I Pith

I just put a Thule rack on top of my rig and want to vomit every time I think of how much they gouge you for these setups... They're a great product and have great accessories, but you're not going to get away cheap after you add up all of the pieces.
Luck can be replaced with time in water for same results.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
batt

I had that set-up for 20 years. A little shorter for ice chest and firewood in the back. Head lamp for reading. Camp stove on top of the bed to heat water in the am also heated it enough to get the clothes on. Children in a tent.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
miguelitro
Me llamo Mike Candra

Dual batteries with a deep cycle in the bed.
mike
Old 11-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Jared44

Toyota has a nice inverter kit. That looks like a Chevy, but see if there is an OEM inverter you can install, then run the wire harness to inside the bed so you can have an outlet right in the side of the bed. You can install it wherever is convenient for your setup. I had one for a while. it was great for extended camping trips to have AC power. The only downside is that you have to run the engine to power the inverter. Handy though.
Jared44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
jfjf

A very small utility trailor that you can throw the cooler, pissed in wet suits and everything else in is pretty nice and not that expensive and very easy to tow, if you already have a hitch.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
trevpiee

Quote:

http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/choose.php
my wife got over the tight squeeze under the shell. I went from this

to a flippac. you can stand in the bed area now, and leave all your gear in the truck bed.

trevpiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Benny

Thats a badass setup you have. I have a 98 Taco that I contemplated making the road tripper but its on 37's and just not as freeway friendly. Those flip flop tents are awesome, looks like your rig has made quite a transformation. Seems like your original setup was legit too, I didn't use tracks for my drawers, just put strips of the carpet under the drawer to make it slide in and out a bit easier.

Picked up this piece of history this morning, pretty stoked to have a spot for all the wet gear. Haven't decided on what to do about a rack but I'm leaning towords the utility style, seems easy to make/install, and the flat bar can have extra tie downs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	198178  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Fis_Hunter

Skip the airmattres it juat gives you something to fail when you need sleep the most. Get a nice 5" foam pad and cut it to fit. Looks like a great set up.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
arice

I've always been curious about those roof-top tents. I had an old FJ55 Landcruiser with a Tub rack on it that was a great place to sleep when it was hot in Baja. No scorpions... But in most camping situations I've noticed that the parking spaces are often badly sloped, or have overhanging trees, or something that would make using one of those roof tents less than ideal. Have you ever run into that or am I overcomplicating things?
arice is offline   Reply With Quote