Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 07-09-2003, 05:21 PM   #1
Sliptip

Power problems?

I just spent an enjoyable, but somewhat frustrating afternoon trying to spear sheapshead off the Port Aransas Jetty. Why would I do this you might ask...because we had a long power outage in Port A and there was nothing better to do. Anyway... sheep in the 12" plus size were in abundance and very willing to approach me at perfect angles and linger until I could take the perfect shot (just slightly behind the eye on the spine) which I did repeatedly. The range of each shot was probably less than 14" (that's inches). Seven fish speared perfectly, but only one taken. My question is why? I purchased a 24" AB Biller just for such opportunities and it appears waaaay underpowered for this type fishing (how is this possible). Configuration (spear and bands) remain unaltered from the factory. On the one fish I actually got the spear penetrated the "sweet spot" only up to the point where the double flooper connects to the shaft. I know sheep have tough skulls, but I expected the shaft to go right through at that range. Is there anyway to make this gun do the job or is it time to do the Ebay shuffle.
Sliptip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:13 PM   #2
storms

I just ran into the same problem a couple of weekends ago offshore with some AJ's. The spear did not penetrate enough and it got away. There is a simple fix just either add another band or upgrade to larger bands. I hunt with a couple of 48" Biller's one with a powerhead the other just a regular speartip. After the shot that did not penetrate I got on the boat and borrowed a band from my other gun and with the 3-9/16" bands it did the job. When I got back I purchased 2-5/8" bands, simply don't feel like loading three bands underwater. Three is much easier. I purchased the bands from ASCUBA Venture, these guy's are outrageously expensive so if you can get them online somewhere I would recommend it. Or try a JBL bands of the same length just a different thickness it should work and is alot less money involved.
storms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
grumpydog

I would also think, using my limited spearing experience, that not trusting a factory point to be the sharpest thing out of the box would be a good idea. I have seen firsthand what a point that needs touching up can do, or cant do. Sharper is better!
grumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #4
bgbill

get a piece of teak or mahogany and make a longer barrel for the gun, then just get a longer shaft and larger bands.

Or sell it and step up to a Riffe, never had a problem with penetration with a Riffe.

I have had spear tips bent over from hitting the reef and it still would go through fish.
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:34 PM   #5
grumpydog

I asked some very experienced spear guys about your problem, and they all agreed that at 14" you may have been TOO close. the spear may not have had sufficient time to built velocity, so it had no penetrating power.
Kinda like throwing a punch from too close...good contact but no power.
grumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 03:37 PM   #6
GoDivin

I am pretty sure that Sliptip is aware of what Riffe guns can do...I would suggest getting rid of the AB Biller and going with the M-0, that would compliment the M-3 setup nicely.