Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #16
predator 3

Re: Ear infection questions

.The best way I know of to avoid ear infections is to thoroughly dry your ears with a hairdryer after exposing them to water. I have been doing this 30 years without an infection. My ENT told me years ago about this and said that in the 70s when men started using hairdryers because of long hair, that ear infections dropped tremendously. Infections need moisture to get started, take it out and it will be very hard for an infection to start

Milo Vukovich
President, SCAN
www.abalonenetwork.org
JOIN SCAN to protect your sport
predator 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #17
sealark

When I hit 40 I would get ear infections every time I spent more than a couple hours a day in the water. Then I started using the recipe below after EVERY dive. I haven’t had an ear infection in 28 years. I always have a bottle on board and in my truck. I just take the cap off hold my finger over the opening and let a small amount go down into each ear.
All the materials are available at any drug store for less than $5.00. The Alcohol dries the water, The boric acid is what your grandmother used for infections and the white vinegar keeps the wax from drying up because of the alcohol.

Ear wash recipe
1 Pint 70% or less % Isopropal Rubbing Alcohol
Boric acid powder 6 oz. is more than enough
White Vinegar

Pour out about 2" of the alcohol out.

Pour or put about 3 Table spoons Boric acid into Alcohol and shake up. If acid remains in powder on bottom you have enough if not add until a small amount remains on bottom. Only a certain % will go into solution so you can't overdue the Boric Acid.Fill the remaining area in the bottle with white vinegar and shake up. The solution is now ready to use.

I usually buy 3 or 4 bottles of alcohol and mix them up in a big bowl then pour them back mixed up into the alcohol bottles. This way the powder on the bottom remains in the bowl and won’t make your ears white when the solution dries out after pouring it into your ears.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #18
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

Thanks for all the help guys. The ringing has gone away now and I'm finishing up on the antibiotics as we speak. If any problems persist, I'm no one to shy away from the doctor, so I'll go back if there is the slightest ring or pain.

I'll be going to Rite Aid later, so I'll pick up all necessary ingredients for the ear wash and start using that.

Thanks again!
-Davis
Old 08-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #19
sealark

Just use it after every dive and most likely you will never have a problem. BUT make sure you get the present infection cleared up and are off of the antibiotic. One more thing ringing ears are quite common around divers. Both of mine have been ringing since 1960.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #20
sealark

Just reread my recipe. $5 for everything not any more that recipe was made up 20 years ago. But it's still cheap. Did about 20 dives this last week. Ears still ringing but not a sign of ear infection.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:04 AM   #21
LookPointShoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Just use it after every dive and most likely you will never have a problem. BUT make sure you get the present infection cleared up and are off of the antibiotic. One more thing ringing ears are quite common around divers. Both of mine have been ringing since 1960.
If his infection isn't cleared up by now, ringing is the least of his troubles
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #22
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Really? It took you 4 years to respond? 4 years.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #23
sealark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
Really? It took you 4 years to respond? 4 years.
I guess so I'll try to look at the dates next time. REALLY
Old 08-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #24
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
I guess so I'll try to look at the dates next time. REALLY
Didn't mean to sound like a dick just thought it was funny.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #25
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

You guys are confusing otitis media with otitis externa.

Otitis media is a middle ear infection, bacterial infection in fluid in the middle ear behind the eardrum. Requires oral antibiotics. I would also recommend Sudafed and sometimes Afrin to help dry it out.

Otitis externa is an infection in the external ear canal. Also known as swimmer's ear or surfer's ear. It's a cellulitis in the skin of the external auditory canal, outside of the ear drum(tympanic membrane). Treatment is dilute vinegar or antibiotic drops.

C
Old 09-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #26
sealark

Me also look it got another reply. Ok see ya in 5 years ha ha. Have a great Day.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #27
dushanbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldomson1 View Post
You guys are confusing otitis media with otitis externa.

Otitis media is a middle ear infection, bacterial infection in fluid in the middle ear behind the eardrum. Requires oral antibiotics. I would also recommend Sudafed and sometimes Afrin to help dry it out.

Otitis externa is an infection in the external ear canal. Also known as swimmer's ear or surfer's ear. It's a cellulitis in the skin of the external auditory canal, outside of the ear drum(tympanic membrane). Treatment is dilute vinegar or antibiotic drops.

C
had 3 visits to ENT in the last 1.5 months. First time he said I had too much wax and removed it using a suction pipe, Second time he said I had tiny layer of wax on the ears and recommended debrox.

Now I got otitis from diving in Catalina 2 times a day x2 days. At the beginning I felt somewhat water clogged ears, and forgot to use the swimmers ear drops.

When I got home I used swimmers ear and debrox, at night it got clogged and was experiencing discomfort/pain. In the morning I felt good, even payed game of basketball and went for a swim at Venice beach, dipped my head twice in the water to cool down.

In the morning It started with pain in the outside ear, ultrasound "eeeee" and cleggeness in the ear.

Went to see a doctor in Playa Vista emergency he said I have some inflammation, gave me prescription for CIPRO 500mg x2 day and same eye drops to be used in ears 1 dropx2 times per day.

Now I read that tablets working for middle ear infection only - Do I have outer or inner infection and should I use the tablets?
dushanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #28
Bob Ballew

Update: hydrogen peroxide won't kill infections....the vinegar/alcohol mix will...the key is to get the moisture dried out asap....showering can cause infections with moisture trapped in the ears....after using the mix, try a hair dryer to blow gently into the canal to dry up as much moisture as possible...that is the current thought on ear infections...dry is king.....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #29
sealark

Go back and read my suggestion. I'm 75 and still havent had an ear problem sincs using my recipe . I dive every chance I get. The boric acid is the key with viniger and isopropel alcohol.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #30
SCreefhunter

I recently came back from a trip to the Channel Islands, where, 4 days prior to the trip I came down with double outer ear infections, yeah, I was heartbroken. was prescribed cipro and told not to do on the trip. I used the cipro for three days and symptoms didn't really change, but I was getting incredible dizziness and fullness in my ears (fullness is a side effect of cipro). I was still hellbent on going on the trip as we had been planning it for months. I did some research and stumbled upon this thread the morning I was to hop in the truck and head south to meet the boat and friends in ventura. I immediately went to the store and purchased vinegar/alcohol and a small bottle to mix/apply mixture. I stopped the cipro and began the mix suggested in this thread. the drive down was tough, I was carsick and dizzy. once on the boat (6 hours prior to departure), I was still feeling really dizzy, but ears began to clear up. 2am rolled around, the engines fired up, and we left the dock. I tried to lay down but the weather was really bad, and I was still feeling like poop so I went topside and felt better. by the time we were on the grounds, I was feeling pretty good. I took the mix before and after each dive. left the trip feeling better than when I started, and continue to use this mix on the daily. it was/is a lifesaver for us denizens of the deep. thanks spearboard.
SCreefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote