Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #46
baja haha

Re: SLO Dive Conditions

There are only three who have presented every year. Their subject matter is dictated by the needs and rolls and mission of the SLO S&R team. Should you have a specific subject I suspect the team would entertain your suggestion. Contact Chuck at Depth Perceptions-595 3631

Those presenters who have made repeat appearances are;

1) Mr. Paul Buechner who has devoted his life to emergency RX and is is considered an expert in in the field
2) Dr Samuel Miller,IV, who is a professionally trained (Scrips) ER & Hyperbaric doctor
3) Me who will continue to visit to the history & development of all diving equipment

I suspect Mike Von Alvensleben & John McKenny will be asked to return

Pat Smith visits our home for wayward old broken down divers 2- 3 times a year-maybe on one of his future visits you can come up the hill for coffee (bring your own -we don't drink it) and a short visit and get his inscription on your book.

sdm
baja haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #47
Albondiga
A Harmer

I thought everyone did a superb job, and I look forward to the line up next year.
When you say up the hill, do you mean Atascadero or AG/Nipomo Mesa? Sounds good either way. I can always stand hearing some new to me stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja haha View Post
There are only three who have presented every year. Their subject matter is dictated by the needs and rolls and mission of the SLO S&R team. Should you have a specific subject I suspect the team would entertain your suggestion. Contact Chuck at Depth Perceptions-595 3631

Those presenters who have made repeat appearances are;

1) Mr. Paul Buechner who has devoted his life to emergency RX and is is considered an expert in in the field
2) Dr Samuel Miller,IV, who is a professionally trained (Scrips) ER & Hyperbaric doctor
3) Me who will continue to visit to the history & development of all diving equipment

I suspect Mike Von Alvensleben & John McKenny will be asked to return

Pat Smith visits our home for wayward old broken down divers 2- 3 times a year-maybe on one of his future visits you can come up the hill for coffee (bring your own -we don't drink it) and a short visit and get his inscription on your book.

sdm
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #48
baja haha

Pismo Heights--the highest and only hill in Pismo.

We who reside in Pismo refer to it as the 'Hill"

sdm
baja haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #49
CPoly

Jumped in PSL today to help teach a buddy how to dive. Viz was as expected 2-4ft.
CPoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #50
Albondiga
A Harmer

People who learn to dive here can comfortably dive anywhere in the world.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #51
Albondiga
A Harmer

Taking a break from catching salmon I scuba dove North of Pecho Rk today, for a clear and cold experience. The vis was top to bottom and blueish in color (solid 30-40+ft vis). Water temp was a cold 50 degrees. Water was full of salps and jellies, thousands and thousands of them. Swell was minute and wind was down to a breath.

Saw a lot of fish that were moving pretty slow, but I was not spearing. Saw a bunch of decent lings that were out and about. Saw a handful of rockfish and perch hunkered down. Good day for an ice cream head ache in the water.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #52
Albondiga
A Harmer

I was working in MDO this morning at low tide, and it looked pretty nice out there. Spooners was flat and the water looked blue. Inside Spooners there was a little of that usual grunge layer near shore, but if you get out to the point it looks epic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spooners_4_24.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	171113  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #53
Albondiga
A Harmer

Ended up diving North Shell Beach with a regular dive buddy. He needed some perch and rockfish for a class at Poly. Vis was awesome. Of course there were mucky spots that were stirred up and had 0.5-1ft vis, but most of the dive was 15-20 ft vis. My depth was between 18 and 25 feet, beach dive.

Shot a ling and a few rockfish (fat ling and ~30inches) Saw another fattie ling, a smaller ling and a few cormorants.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #54
CPoly

Damn, you know it's good when shell is diveable, let alone 15-20. Going out for Salmon with Mike today or I'd be diving for sure.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #55
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPoly View Post
Damn, you know it's good when shell is diveable, let alone 15-20. Going out for Salmon with Mike today or I'd be diving for sure.
Good luck. Looks like a great day to troll around. Let us know how you do.
I am going to try and squeeze in a dive this afternoon, after the high sometime. Got to get in while it is good.

Looks like Thursday evening the swell is ramping up, just in time for the weekend.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #56
Albondiga
A Harmer

So, I got in at Shell again today. Tried a new spot and it was clearer than yesterday. This was one of those spots that I always want to try, but it is always too murky looking. Went down there and looking through the waves, it looked tropical. Even the warm rain helped with the illusion.
Vis was variable. At the murky end it got down to 5 ft. Most of the dive was 15-30ft. A few spots, when the sun came out, I could see 50 feet!!
Sand looked good, but saw no flatties. Shot a calico bass toward the end of my dive, and my buddy shot a 12 pound ling. We both saw separate seven gill sharks (6 or 7 feet long) which is an eye opener. I saw a couple of huge electric rays that were just hovering above the bottom, not moving at all. They looked like a space ship coming to abduct me. I saw a medium sized angel shark, a shovelnose guitar fish, a bunch of swell sharks.
Not too many other fish. Rockfish (brown, b/y) and perch (pile, rubberlip, black) making up most of the mix.
I hope some of you got out there to enjoy some of this clear water. Nothing like a dive on a warm rainy day.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #57
CPoly

Wish I had thrown on the dive gear and gone for a shore dive instead. The water was looking good today. I guess there is some bad weather expected, the harbor patrol was turning boats back as they left Morro. We never even got to drop a line. Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #58
deckhandmike
Shallow Water Hunter

We got denied trying to leave the Morro harbor exit. Too bad it's been glass all afternoon. Avila went wide open today for salmon. 11 boats for 43 fish!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #59
maidendeth13
SLO Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
We got denied trying to leave the Morro harbor exit. Too bad it's been glass all afternoon. Avila went wide open today for salmon. 11 boats for 43 fish!
Nice vis at spooners. No fish taken but got my roommate in the water to do some diving at least

My Gun Build
maidendeth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #60
nikko
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albondiga View Post
So, I got in at Shell again today. Tried a new spot and it was clearer than yesterday. This was one of those spots that I always want to try, but it is always too murky looking. Went down there and looking through the waves, it looked tropical. Even the warm rain helped with the illusion.
Vis was variable. At the murky end it got down to 5 ft. Most of the dive was 15-30ft. A few spots, when the sun came out, I could see 50 feet!!
Sand looked good, but saw no flatties. Shot a calico bass toward the end of my dive, and my buddy shot a 12 pound ling. We both saw separate seven gill sharks (6 or 7 feet long) which is an eye opener. I saw a couple of huge electric rays that were just hovering above the bottom, not moving at all. They looked like a space ship coming to abduct me. I saw a medium sized angel shark, a shovelnose guitar fish, a bunch of swell sharks.
Not too many other fish. Rockfish (brown, b/y) and perch (pile, rubberlip, black) making up most of the mix.
I hope some of you got out there to enjoy some of this clear water. Nothing like a dive on a warm rainy day.
Nice report. Thats cool you were seeing those sharks. I was thinking of swimming out with my gear there a few days ago. I ended up diving up towards big sur on sunday and got great conditions. Saw many lings and tons of blues feeding on salps. Shot my first red and goat, and had a ling attack a blue on the end of my spear.
nikko is offline   Reply With Quote