Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 08-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
Tino Bernazzani
Dreaming of BFT

Maui here I come....

Just wanted to start my research on any good diving while in Maui next February. I was hoping I might get a day of blue water boat diving in, but heard mixed reports about there being slim pickens for charters. Maybe someone would not mind taking a main-lander out for a true Hawaiian experience (willing to pay more than my share of gas and rations). Otherwise I may just have to wing some shore diving. Most likely it will be a camera trip, but I would love to get the inside scoop on what fish are the best to eat and any tips on how to prepare them. I don't want to piss any of the locals off by any means, and just want to be respectful of any traditions, rules or the reef, etc. Please help a brotha out. Thanks and looking forward to visiting the place that got me hooked on diving when I was a kid.
Santino
Tino Bernazzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
Ironhed

Re: Maui here I come....

I am heading to maui in january, there is a great shore dive at black rock. I was freediving it as a kid when I was there and remember the great structure there. we will be right there in january. if I can afford it i hope to head over to see my buddy daryl I am sure he will make it worth my while of coming over but at this point i will be happy just to dive the shore there it is quite awesome to see lava structure
.and music is emo. (.Emo spearo.) aka Inletsurf
Ironhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
MauiFreeDiver
BLAIZE A FIYAH

Sonny it depends were you stay, most of the hotels are on the south and west shores, and in Jan, the water is usually flat on those sides of the island, there is some decent shore dives on the south side, if you bring a camera youll have fun on the south side if you bring a gun then you will need skill, luck and a good bottum time.....believe it or not weve shot ukus (gray snapper) right in front of the hotel beaches in about 40-50 ft of water. There are some good links to the fish but I cant find them right now.....

Ironhead, in front of black rock is not good for spearfishing anymore, the fish have pretty much been fished out, and also a lot of tour boats dump boat fulls of tourist in there every day, along with all the people on the beach, makes for low fish stock....however your right there is some nice reefs and caves to look at..
Old 08-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
HHEAD

For all those going to Hawaii make sure you pick-up a "KAPU STICK" it's a regulation guide that you can buy at all the dive stores. I think they are only a few bucks and all the revenue from that project went to supporting fishing access rights in Hawaii. Also no trip to Maui or Oahu is complete without going to Maui Sporting Goods. The Oahu store probably was the 1st spearfishing only store in the US. Anyways, get the "KAPU STICK" .... gotta support the locals.
HHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Mauiinfinity

Hey Sonny I can help you out Go check out
www.mauispearfishing.com
Mauiinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Tino Bernazzani
Dreaming of BFT

Thanks guys,
That is good info. I can't wait to dive every day, in warm clear water, with a gun or camera, its all good. If any of you locals want to hook up, Im sure it would be a great day of diving. Im a really easy going guy, with some good diving talent. Really just want to make sure I keep to the ideals of the local environment, and get a chance to see some tasty critters.
Tino
Tino Bernazzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Mauiinfinity

Hey if you want to dive just hit me up my contact is on my website.
I am leaving on the 9th for the scramble meet in LA. I will be back on the 16th. L8ters
Old 12-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
balder

Bumping this thread for some more info, I am coming over on the 19th. Big fish are nice, but mainly this trip I just want to serve a few meals for the five of us coming over.

How about some Hawaii specific tips and some Maui specific shore dives or snorkels for spearfishing. I am coming over in a little over a week. I spear alot in the Pacific NW here, but I had a helluva time last time in Maui.

There is a spearfishing guide outfit on the internet. They said hide on the reef at 50ft or so and throw sand and scratch the reef. Is that real?!?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
MauiFreeDiver
BLAIZE A FIYAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by balder
There is a spearfishing guide outfit on the internet. They said hide on the reef at 50ft or so and throw sand and scratch the reef. Is that real?!?
Is what real, the diving to 50ft, or the tossing sand and scratcing rocks?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
balder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiFreeDiver
Is what real, the diving to 50ft, or the tossing sand and scratcing rocks?
The toss sand and scratch the reef part. It almost sounds like their pulling someones leg with that. But I see that it is actually mauiinfinity that is the website I am talking about. So he, or someone, let me know.

50 ft I understand, and though I dont freedive regularly, I should be able to have a bit of bottom time towards fifty feet pretty quickly. I will be doing some SCUBA and my air consumption is pretty low, but also some freediving/ snorkeling everyday, I pretty well live in the water when there.

I am fishing with a pole spear only (it's my preferred weapon here at home too, and that's what the condo is stalked with)
Old 12-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
float 'n stalk
Ryan Cole

Quote:
They said hide on the reef at 50ft or so and throw sand and scratch the reef. Is that real?!?
They are not pulling your leg. It can be a good technique for drawing fish in to you....
float 'n stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #12
MauiFreeDiver
BLAIZE A FIYAH

Well whether you care or not, you will notice that spearfishing with scuba here is not completley accepted. But anyway Mauiinfinity is a idiot, thats all I got to say about him. However scrathing the rocks and throwing sand while laying silently on the bottom works real well over here. Scratching the rocks mimics the feeding behaivors and sounds of alot of fish here so it makes the fish curious, also throwing sand mimics fish digging up the bottom looking for crabs and other food items and it also provides a little blind for you to hide behind. The other technique is grunting if done properly and a at the right fish it works well.

If your place has oceanic cable then watch channel 16 the Hawaii Skin Diver mag has a tv show that airs throughout the week, and a new episode airs monthly.

3 Prongs and hawaiian slings are the roots of spearfishing here, so you wont be the only one in the water with it. Look up the Hawaii Dlnr website and look at the species regs, and take only what you need not what you can.

Oh and good luck our reef fish may be small but they are some of the smartest fish around.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #13
thecrab87
67 pounds of joy!

Quote:
I am fishing with a pole spear only (it's my preferred weapon here at home too, and that's what the condo is stalked with)
Good luck... I've been diving on Maui for almost 29 years and have only poked one fish over 10# with a pole spear.

You might want to swing by Maui Sporting Goods and pick up a cheap euro gun, maybe a 110cm.

And MFD is right, scuba spearing, although completely legal, is frowned upon here... hence the popular bumper sticker "Thanks, but no tanks... I'd rather freedive."

SonnyB and Ironhed, give me a call before you leave if you want to get up on the latest weather, gear, etc.... I've pm'ed you my cell phone number.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #14
joel mcqueen

maui dive shop runs s good trip to molakeni crater the back wall was well worth the time no spearing but very good wall dive
joel mcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #15
HHEAD

Make sure you buy a couple of these:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kapu Stick low res.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	42719  
HHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote