Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 01-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
Steve Buchanan

Spearfishing is outlawed in Afghanistan...So I'm visiting Kona 2-18 Feb 2010

Greetings from Kabul!

It sucks here. Actually, it really sucks here. Also, I've been looking around and there is no spearfishing here. In fact, they don't even have public beaches here. They do have rock climbing but the approaches are often mined and the locals are unpleasant at best. Besides, it's very difficult to do either in body armor. Thankfully, I am leaving soon for my mid-tour leave to the Big Island.

I'm writing to you because I need your assistance. I am looking for information and maybe some folks to fish and hang out with. I've been spearfishing for a couple years now in the cold, murky, miserable waters of Seattle. I've done lots of shorediving around Tacoma and Seattle and some on vacations to San Diego, North Carolina, and GTMO. (GTMO is amazing by the way) I'm a moderate with lots of energy and stay in the 25-50ft realm, though I think my breath-hold has diminished while here.

I know that outsiders coming into the local spots are often unwelcome and the best places are always kept secret (you think fishing is secretive, try ice-climbing!) I will of course respect all laws of the land and take only what I (and my two little monkeys) can eat.

I'm spending my leave time in Hawaii so that I can spearfish like crazy...and hang out with my two kids (Elizabeth 7, Stephen 6). (oh, and my parents will be there too...)

So- I arrive on Feb 2nd and depart on the 18th. My kids will be there from the 5th through the 15th.
When my kids are not around I plan on spearing all day, every day. I'd like to go on at least one trip into the blue water too. When they are around I'd like to take them on a few shore dives. I've taught them to snorkel in the pool but it's far too cold for them to swim in Puget Sound. I'll also need to be totally outfitted with gear since all my stuff is in Tacoma.

1. Anyone want to hang out and shoot fish?
2. Where's a good place to shop?
3. What is a good charter?
4. I'll need a big gun right? what size is good for blue water and what is right for the local spots?
5. Where are the good shore dive locations? I've read what little I can about: 69's, Maklawena, South Point, Waikoloa and Natural Energy Lab. Any others?
6. Where's a good spot to take my kids snorkeling and spearfishing?
7. What's a good hotel/hostel/room for me to rent to stay at in Kona (1br)? My kids and I (and my parents) will be staying at the Kileau Military Camp (5-15) but I'll need a single room when they're not around (2-5, 15-18). I was thinking Kona- a one-bedroom place not too expensive and close to bars and the social scene....i'm 32 and very divorced
8. How does one ship stuff (gun, gear, and wetsuit) to the states most economically?

I really appreciate all of your help! If you have any questions about Afghanistan, or Iraq, or the Army, or the Infantry, or Rangers, or West Point, or PSYOP, or Consulting (my civilian job), or Seattle, I'll be more than happy to assist.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
float 'n stalk
Ryan Cole

Re: Spearfishing is outlawed in Afghanistan...So I'm visiting Kona 2-18 Feb 2010

There's a shop in Kona called Bluewater Hunters owned by a guy named Rob White. www.bluewaterhunter.com He'll be able to answer all of your spearfishing related questions.

Also, I believe the Bettua's now live on the big island south of Captain Cook. Look them up. www.aimritespearfishing.com

Hope this helps.
float 'n stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Re: Spearfishing is outlawed in Afghanistan...So I'm visiting Kona 2-18 Feb 2010

Make sure to visit Honaunau bay. The water is crystal clear and there are never any waves. It's great and easy snorkel for the family. The dolphins also frequent the bay after their nightly hunts. Its about 25 min down the road from Kona.

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/big-island...aunau-bay.aspx

Enjoy. The big island is great!!

Errol

P.S. Pretty cheap and decent hotel is the Kona Seaside hotel. It's not the greatest but it's close to everything.

Last edited by flamencoguru; 01-28-2010 at 11:04 AM.
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #4
Steve Buchanan

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the help. This trip will be amazing.
Steve Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
clavinr
That's a huge fish!

Have fun on your vacation! Everyone is so nice. Diving is unbelievable. I was overwhelmed it was so awesome.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Tommy T

Steve, first of all thanks for doing what you do bro. Now, I visited Kona for the first time last April & was blown away how great it is there. The free diving opportunities are insane. I hooked up with some locals who took me out to the blue water on a half day charter on my next to last day there (the guy @ BWH was a dick to me so luckily I hooked up with these guys) where we ran into tons of life. They run a charter & have just opened a new spearfishing shop in the Kona area called Kona Coast Spearfishing Outlet. It has only been open for a couple of months but the guys there have the diving scene wired w/o the ego, attitude, or BS. I'm not sure if their website is up yet but I will forward Calvin Lai's number to you. They will cover all the bases on a charter (fishing, diving, ice, drinks, etc.) in the comfort of Calvin Sr's boat (they call him Pops). Give him a call & he will run down what the score is over there diving wise (shore & offshore) as well as who to get a hold of for accomodations. You may want to give Dano @ Mako Spearguns a call too as he has a free loaner program for active military guys & gals (civilians too!). He should be able to dial you in on what you will need w/o the hassle of shipping your gear all over the planet.
Hope you have a great trip. Tommy T
p.s. Calvin's number is 808-960-5371
http://www.makospearguns.com/free_loaner_program.php
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/sp...4-08-09-a.html
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote