Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #16
campione

Re: Spearguns are dangerous

I always carry my spearguns inside a ski bag. When loading them in the car, and into the boat.
campione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #17
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

I like to carry my spearguns through the airport in a cello case. It's roomy enough for my fins, too. I prefer to travel in a pinstripe 3-piece suit with a fedora. It seems like people treat you more respectfully when you dress nicely?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #18
Ater22

California in a nut shell. That’s what happens when liberals brainwash the majority of the state that guns are bad
Ater22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #19
Ron S

Darn right spearguns are dangerous weapons, at least in California. Some years ago it became legal to spear Stripers in the American River. The anglers threw a huge fit, not wanting spearos in the river shooting "their" fish.

As it happens, most of the access to the legal stretch of river is via county parks. So...Sacramento County deemed spearguns dangerous weapons and outlawed them in the parks. Get caught taking a speargun through the park and into the river, go to jail.
Neet...
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:43 AM   #20
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ater22 View Post
California in a nut shell. That’s what happens when liberals brainwash the majority of the state that guns are bad

Look everyone. “That guy” is here
Dannowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #21
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ater22 View Post
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #22
CDMdeepbreather

When I was 13 I got my Hunters safety license (license you’re required to get in CA in order to hunt on land). In that class, they hammer the saying “do not point your gun at anything unless you’re willing to kill it” sooo far into your head that to this day, I think about it even when I’m spraying my garden hose. I’m consistently shocked by how many spearos do not abide by that rule while in the water...too many a time have I seen even experienced spearos swing the muzzle of a loaded gun across a buddies leg or even abdomen/chest without realizing it. Yes, most of the general public is overly fearful of these giant rubberband guns due to fear of the unknown, but these giant rubberband guns still deserve respect.
CDMdeepbreather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #23
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

As I write this I'm about 500 yards from that very cell phone lot in San Diego. I've used it many times and it's usually crowded. So my question is... as you were waiting did you happen to pull your speargun out of the truck and wave it around for people to see? How in the world would some idiot even know you had it?
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #24
heynorton

The speargun was sitting between my two front seats. It never moved. The idiot that you refer to must have looked into my car when I walked over to a porta potty to take a leak or possibly he walked by and looked in the car when I was just sitting there being bored as hell. Tyson Brown’s advise was brilliant. From now on I will keep my spearguns in a cello case...By the way, that’s a nice looking fish you are holding in your avator.
heynorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #25
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

People, especially those that know nothing about guns but hate them just the same, are quick to jump these days. As they say.... see something, say something. The problem here was he/she didn't know what they were looking at. Next time just lay the gun down behind the seats
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #26
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynorton View Post
The speargun was sitting between my two front seats. It never moved. The idiot that you refer to must have looked into my car when I walked over to a porta potty to take a leak or possibly he walked by and looked in the car when I was just sitting there being bored as hell. Tyson Brown’s advise was brilliant. From now on I will keep my spearguns in a cello case...By the way, that’s a nice looking fish you are holding in your avator.
It's my claim to fame. 11 lb I forget how many oz, shot it in about 25' in a concrete culvert on a public artificial reef.... lol

Old 08-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #27
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
It's my claim to fame. 11 lb I forget how many oz, shot it in about 25' in a concrete culvert on a public artificial reef.... lol

I seen one that size or bigger on an artificial off the beach in ~15' of water. I had my head and my gun turned the wrong direction when I peered under a concrete slab. Tried to play it cool but it was gone on my next dive down. I believe they come in to breed.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote