Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
konafish

Student @FSU looking for a site

I'm a student at florida state and have recently brought my spear and fins up for this summer. Also I'm real new to the area and would like some advice or hints at some solid spots for some good fishing. I usually spear off a yak when I go and don't use scuba! Also, my dive buddy is usually in Orlando if anybody ever needs a buddy I got you!
-One love
konafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Re: Student @FSU looking for a site

here's a link for you and all those that spear in the panhandle.
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/reefs.htm

Enjoy!

Last edited by searaydiver; 04-16-2014 at 06:11 AM.
searaydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
whiteRhino

Hey Kona, I'm based in Tallahassee and fish regularly out of kayaks in our area. For spearfishing, I always head to Panama City or Destin as I've yet to be put on any structure within yak range directly offshore of Tally (St Marks, Panacea, etc.).

That's not to say that there isn't any, I just don't know where it is. There's a couple of piles and wrecks in the 15-20ft range that you can paddle to but the current is way too dangerous for attempting out of a kayak, plus there's probably zero viz on account of being near river outlets. For the most part you've got to go 7+ miles one-way to find the ledges and reefs.

I'd love to find something in our area, as I try to sneak down to the coast 2 or 3 days a week to put the yak on the flats for a few hours. But a spearing trip to PC or Destin is more of an ordeal.

Let me know if you ever want to go sometime, or hear of anything closer to check out.
whiteRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
kodyb87
Kody Bidwell

Send a message via AIM to kodyb87 Send a message via Yahoo to kodyb87

I'm a student at FSU Panama City. We have the SHARC club that gives us free equipment and we usually make at least one boat dive a semester. I know we have one coming up in May. You should look into the club at the main campus and see what they offer. If you want to come down and dive St. Joe Bay, I know some spots and on calm days the whole bay is accessible by yak. There is supposed to be a shrimp boat in about 30' but I haven't found it yet.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
St33lslinger

Konafish, I'm about to graduate from UGA and will be in the area during the summer. I dive off of the Alligator Point/Carabelle area. I usually have trouble finding people available to go with me. Hit me up this summer.
St33lslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
SUPspearo

Kona, I am in the same situation. I fish more than I go to class(off a paddleboard) and am trying to find some spots that we could paddle. I have gotten pretty familiar with fishing the forgotten coast but not diving. I am down to try and find some structure.
SUPspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
konafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyb87 View Post
I'm a student at FSU Panama City. We have the SHARC club that gives us free equipment and we usually make at least one boat dive a semester. I know we have one coming up in May. You should look into the club at the main campus and see what they offer. If you want to come down and dive St. Joe Bay, I know some spots and on calm days the whole bay is accessible by yak. There is supposed to be a shrimp boat in about 30' but I haven't found it yet.
I dont use scuba so Im assuming that you are referring to the scuba club. St Joes sounds promising, what kind of terrain do you work with there? Sea grass meadows, muddy or sandy? I would love to link up with your club sometime!
Send me a private message if youd like.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
konafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lslinger View Post
Konafish, I'm about to graduate from UGA and will be in the area during the summer. I dive off of the Alligator Point/Carabelle area. I usually have trouble finding people available to go with me. Hit me up this summer.
ST33LSlinger--- most def! I have an internship at the Gulf Specimens Marine Lab this summer so I will be in the panacea/Alligator Pt area quite ofter especially on weekends!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
konafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPspearo View Post
Kona, I am in the same situation. I fish more than I go to class(off a paddleboard) and am trying to find some spots that we could paddle. I have gotten pretty familiar with fishing the forgotten coast but not diving. I am down to try and find some structure.
Are you a student @ FSU and I would love that I know Im gonna be taking some field trips with this ivert zoology course Im taking this summer and hopefully they can help put me on some spots (granted they arent protected areas).
Old 04-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
kodyb87
Kody Bidwell

Send a message via AIM to kodyb87 Send a message via Yahoo to kodyb87

St. Joe Bay is almost all grass flats. I love to shoot mullet and there's plenty of them. The sea wall at the old port holds fish and if you're brave enough to dive the shark hole, there are some old pipes that hold grouper from time to time. I'm down to drive to Carrabelle/Alligator Point if you fellas want to all get together one weekend. I'm a horrible free diver but I'll definitely load up the yak and head that way.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
SUPspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by konafish View Post
Are you a student @ FSU and I would love that I know Im gonna be taking some field trips with this ivert zoology course Im taking this summer and hopefully they can help put me on some spots (granted they arent protected areas).
Yes I am and milk them for all they got lol. And the smallest thing I would go after would probably be flatties.
SUPspearo is offline   Reply With Quote