Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
PeterCorreale
Sponsor-SpearfishingPanama

Send a message via AIM to PeterCorreale
TUNA good things happen to good people!

I have decided to do this small trip report from yesterday as it was a pretty cool day, and i have not doen any reports from this season so far. We have put our fair share of Tuna in the boat this season, and we have had some exceptional days inshore diving. This past week we had two groups down here in Panama to do some spearfishing. On the last trip the week prior, things where a bit slow out on Hannibal Bank, though two 100 pound class tuna where shot, one of them being a personal best for our client. Needless to say, i didnt have the highest hopes for the weather and the Bank/Montuosa producing for the two groups that had arrived. Both trips started off with some inshore diving that produced a variety of nice pargo, grouper and snook etc. The group from the Ukrain decided to head out to our Camp on Isla Montuosa for a couple days and give it a go out there. We sent them and our crew on there way and I stayed back with the group from Brazil. Diving with these guys was a pleasure! Super nice guys and total crack ups! We had a blast lighting up the inshore species, but on there last day they decided to make a quick run to Hannibal/Montuosa and try there luck even though the reports we where getting where of slow action, small fish and dirty water. We where up early, and after a quick breakfest we where off on our way with the plan of stopping at Isla Montuosa first so I could check on the camp situation and drop of some more fuel and provisions etc. As we arrived a couple miles off of Montuosa, we noticed a couple small pods of dolphins milling around as well as a large amount of birds sitting in the water and Frigate Birds circling over head. I could tell that we had just missed something, perhaps a bunch of Tuna and Dolphin feeding on a large amount of bait. We suited up and jumped in to take a look. Bad viz and no Tuna, so we where off to drop off the supplies on Montuosa. After the drop, we made the decision to head to the Bank and have a look out there, but things were not very promising once we arrived. No boats, no action, and our crew with the ukrainians where there and had not seen any fish all morning. We decided the next step would be to head back to Montuosa and dive some of the high spots off the island with hopes of shooting some Amberjack and pargo etc. I pretty much had written the day off for a chance at us getting a shot on some Tuna, but we all know how fishing is and how quickly things can change in a instant. We where within minutes of the first high spot, right off of Isla Montuosa when a feeding frenzy erupted! Birds, dolphin and nice size Tuna going nuts! We jumped in and almost imediatly had a large school of 100 pluss pound class fish swim right under us at about ten feet deep. They seemed to be staying above the murky water and were moving slowly. Right away we had two fish on! The fish were so shallow they could not even soud deep enough to make our float lines taught. We quickly hauled them up, offed them. and got them in the boat. We squared away and reloaded, put the boat at the pins, and chased down the blitz. Over the side again, and there they were! Bam! another nice one in the boat. We proceeded to chase them down again, and we ended up in front of the dolphins in about thirty feet of water with a wall of 100 pound tuna swimming by! You could have swam off from the beach at Montuosa and shot one! It was amazing! We decided to call it a day and haul ass back to Morro Negrito and get the fish butchered and on ice ready to be shashimed! Eventhough the tuna we got were not monsters, for our clients they were first time tuna, and a first time tuna over a 100 pounds is definetly a trip maker. Enjoy the photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	170601   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	170602   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	170603   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	170604   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	170605  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	170606   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	170607  
PeterCorreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
roosterman9

Re: TUNA good things happen to good people!

nicely done Pete. Thats the kind of update I like to hear bud.
roosterman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Markio
Shoot to eat

Well..I guess Panama is the next stop.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
schwaman

Damn it, it seems i was there too early in 2010 before your time!
Well maybe someday i'll come back.
Congratulation on the great fish.
schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

montuosa is my favorite place in the world to dive

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Kaimana

So sic! Thanks for sharing.
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
bandito
Matt

awesome report. makes me want to quit my job....again....
bandito is offline   Reply With Quote