Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #16
Turyturbo
Deaf Merman

Re: Yes Im a newbie. So what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrazy View Post
I marked off 12 inches on my gun too, and for me, I don't shoot a fish unless it looks way over 12 inches, because it will come out to about 12.5 inches. If you try to guess what 12 inches is under water the fish will always be short. I've learned this from shooting alot of shortys
I hear you. What I did is first shooting 'no limits' fish species (e.g. rough fishes like carps, suckers, and some fish species that have no measurement rules like catfishes, pikes, panfishes at some water bodies) and learn from their length before I shoot the legit fish like walleye, basses and other game fish species. It helps.
Turyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
yeskaa
Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Luckily, you don't. That's why we rely on your help (as long as we aren't afraid of losing some teeth if we piss you off).
ahhh ...and with that said i see i previously misspelled ''lose''
thanks bunches

& i see you deleted you post. damit i cant remember much from last night but i do know i never said anything of the sort about losing teeth just for ''pissing me off'''.. piss on me maybe
yeskaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
Ethan kills
OG Troll

I never understood marking your gun. What are you going to do? Shoot a fish and measure it after you shoot it? If it's short throw it back?
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
speargunhunter
favorite speargun? Wong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan kills View Post
I never understood marking your gun. What are you going to do? Shoot a fish and measure it after you shoot it? If it's short throw it back?
yea Ethan, i always kinda thought the same thing. put notches in my guns every 12 inches. all my guns are Wongs....humm.... not happenin"

For me there's only One Choice...."WONG".

www.wongguns.com
speargunhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #20
fishcrazy

I just marked mine with sharpy, if I want to remove it I can sand it off. and I know it sounds bad but on the rare occasion that you shoot a shorty, you could through it back, its not like it wont get eaten.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
Myrran
Myrran McKeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrazy View Post
I just marked mine with sharpy, if I want to remove it I can sand it off. and I know it sounds bad but on the rare occasion that you shoot a shorty, you could through it back, its not like it wont get eaten.
No DFG Rules on chumming, you just cant keep it. Cut it up into pieces and feed the fish.
Myrran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
Ocean-tendency
Kaili's Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan kills View Post
First of all, don't just mark your gun, learn what the hell they look like..measure the close ones and you'll learn not to shoot anything that looks that small again. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that shit..

Yes Sharpies work great, don't cut up your gun whether they're Wongs or something else. You can also use pieces from stickers that you have trimmed..works great on Carbon fiber and always removeable.

Lastly, think of it like this..Would you rather get a ticket from the DFG and possibly lose all your gear, or cut up the fish and feed it to the reef, lobsters will take care of it for you and atleast you are giving back to the ocean instead of just wasting a fish.

Ocean-tendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #23
Ocean-tendency
Kaili's Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearingnemo View Post
Any recommendations in length? I was thinking about 30-40 inches. thanks
What do you want to go for? Crappy vis doesn't mix well with big guns.. Euro 90s like the Geronimo Pro, Riffe Euro 90, Rob Allen..JBL woody sawed off magnum, Riffe midhandle 1S or 2S, etc..all work well for the reef fish.

..just don't go blowing a load on a monster gun, you go hunting one time and either F it up , or just decide you don't like it. Different guns have different handle placement, different trigger pulls, etc..and its better to buy a used gun or cheaper newer gun that will work in bad to ok vis. start with small reef fish and work your way up. GL

Old 08-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #24
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean-tendency View Post
First of all, don't just mark your gun, learn what the hell they look like..measure the close ones and you'll learn not to shoot anything that looks that small again. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that shit..

Yes Sharpies work great, don't cut up your gun whether they're Wongs or something else. You can also use pieces from stickers that you have trimmed..works great on Carbon fiber and always removeable.

Lastly, think of it like this..Would you rather get a ticket from the DFG and possibly lose all your gear, or cut up the fish and feed it to the reef, lobsters will take care of it for you and atleast you are giving back to the ocean instead of just wasting a fish.
ok smartass. What I should have said was to me, it looks a little incriminating. If you have notches on your gun then you are pretty much saying that you might put yourself in a situation where you will need to measure a fish you think is short. How about this, don't shoot a fish you think would cause you to nescesitate your measureing notches. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that shit.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #25
Ocean-tendency
Kaili's Protector

Damn Ethan, I didn't realize you were such a crybaby. You are out of your mind if you are going to sit there and say you have never shot a halibut that was barely legal, full of Shit is right. I was just using it as an example why to make marks. You sound like one of those dudes that yeskaa is talkin about...do you need your nuts coddled..hahaha. point is just know the size and if you need help learning or remembering the proper size that marks are a good idea for the newbies.. there is that better for you Mr. rocket scientist

Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean-tendency View Post
Damn Ethan, I didn't realize you were such a crybaby. You are out of your mind if you are going to sit there and say you have never shot a halibut that was barely legal, full of Shit is right. I was just using it as an example why to make marks. You sound like one of those dudes that yeskaa is talkin about...do you need your nuts coddled..hahaha. point is just know the size and if you need help learning or remembering the proper size that marks are a good idea for the newbies.. there is that better for you Mr. rocket scientist
so are you saying you want to coddle my nuts?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #27
Ocean-tendency
Kaili's Protector

**** you fag, I'm calling you a lil panzie Ass bitch

Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #28
yeskaa
Jess

my sharpie marks are near fadded off

on another note. You guys remeber the thread where a dude here (i forgot who) took his hot young girlfriend spearing. she caught a obvioulsy undersize hali. plastered pics for us of her hotness and her fish ,..but not one person said anything about its being undersized. haaaah
if it was anyone else here theyd get reamed over it by all us dogooders
yeskaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #29
Dawn Patrol
/._.\

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeskaa View Post
ahhh ...and with that said i see i previously misspelled ''lose''
thanks bunches

& i see you deleted you post. damit i cant remember much from last night but i do know i never said anything of the sort about losing teeth just for ''pissing me off'''.. piss on me maybe
GO HOME KOOK.

Nobody likes you. Maybe it's YOU who's asking for their nuts coddled. Everybody on this board could outdive you... Jesus, even Tailsurfer or Divefresh. You have no credibility with any of us. Why don't you follow your fraudulent guru type attitude and go "Shoredive for protein," instead of ripping up our posts and threads with your ignorant BS. I'm sick of your lameass attempts at being a macho man.
Dawn Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #30
fishcrazy

oh shit, drama thread...