Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
NickJC44

Question Where do i begin?

I'm new to the idea of posting on forums, but for freediving and even spearfishing, I figure it would be a good idea to take a look at many views from many, seasoned divers.

Now, to my question! "Where do I begin!?" I've been scuba diving for about 4 years now and love every second I am under the water. One day I was watching videos and came across a video of a guy spearfishing and thought "that is freakin awesome, I want in" so now I'd like to broaden my horizons into the world of free diving and eventually spearfishing (figure I'd get used to staying under for a while first).

So, now from you, my fellow water lovers, I'd like to ask for your help and guidance so I can figure out, where do i begin.

I've looked into it some already and I've seen plenty of different exercises for extending bottom time. Does anybody recommend something in particular that works really well? I'm able to hold my breath for about 2:00, sometimes over sometimes under, just sitting still. Is this a good start?

(Sorry i'm so full of questions, however this is just the tip of the iceberg! And if i'm starting off in the wrong place please redirect me )
NickJC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
PartyBoy
Aqua Aces

Re: Where do i begin?

Freedive and spearfishing are really hard to learn on your own. You'll be able to learn more in 2 hours of talking with a good spero than you will in 2 months of trying to find stuff on your own. Freedive spearfishing is AWESOME, but you might want to try shooting fish while you're scuba diving. If something goes wrong while you're learning, you'll have a lot of extra time.

My suggestions:
Go to a local dive shop and start talking to them and try to find some local spear clubs or spearfishermen to talk to.
If you want to learn how to freedive, take a class. I've been free diving for 2 years now, and took an FII class last week, and learned more in 2 days than I have in 2 years of doing stuff on my own and looking at stuff online. You will learn how to be a much safer diver after taking a class. There's more to it than holding you breath and shooting a fish.
Also, don't listen to everyone here about gear. The gear people use diving the oil rigs, blue water, shallow reefs, muddy rivers, and cold water are all different. Use what people are using in your area and you'll do fine.

Good luck!

PartyBoy + booze = mayhem
PartyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
NickJC44

Thank you very much my friend!

I'll be sure to check out the closest shop! How much was the class? And I know you said look to see what people are using around in my area (and I certainly will) but just through curiosity, do you know any good spear gun companies? I'm a college student so price is a bit of a factor.

Thanks again,

Nick
Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
PartyBoy
Aqua Aces

Nick,

The class usually runs around $300. I know you said money was tight, but I highly reccommend taking it. You'll learn how to breath up properly and hold your breath for 3 min VERY EASILY. You'll also learn about shallow water blackout and how to prevent it. Check out their website. The closest instructors they have to Connecticut is in NY.

I dive the oil rigs in Louisiana, and 99% of people down here use JBL or Riffe guns. Riffe is great, but it's not cheap. JBL however is much more affordable and is a GREAT entry level gun.JBL makes several different styles. We use the XHD (extra heavy duty) and some guys use the wood guns. We always get the bigger shafts, 5/8 bands (and usually shorter than one ones the reccommend), detachable tip, and use steel cable instead of mono. Mono will break, but the cable usually won't break when shooting a big fish and it runs around a rig leg.

We also use something called a riding rig. There's some youtube vids on it. It's so the spear and cable isn't attached to your gun in case you can't handle the fish, and it's a life or death situation, you can let go and still have your gun. Now If we're skin diving, we use a reel. If we're going after tuna or wahoo, we're going to use a bouy set up.

That's what we use, but like I said your setup depends on what kind of diving you plan on doing, and your situtation.

PartyBoy + booze = mayhem
PartyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Brandiego
Team Fii

There are a couple of excellent FII instructors in New York. You can find Bobby Kim and Marcus Montenegro here. http://freedivinginstructors.com/locator
Old 07-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
NickJC44

Thank you both VERY much! I'll definitely be looking further into this, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions in no time
Old 07-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
FreeRestriction

Deffinatly take a class... and get use to freediving before you slam all the spearo gear into the equation.
FreeRestriction is offline   Reply With Quote