Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
maniacaris

Newb Equipment Advice #BrokeCollegeStudent

Hey guys!

I'm a scuba diver but I've always wanted to try spearfishing. However, as the title suggests I don't have a lot of money at the moment but would like to get into spearfishing. That said, I would like your input on my gear. I currently have a 7mm closed-cell wetsuit, a pair of full-foot fins (not long blade), a hood, a mask (Aqualung Teknika which is fairly low volume), a snorkel, and both 2mm and 5mm gloves. I realize I will not be able to go hardcore spearfishing with this non-freediving specific gear, but do you think I can get by with this gear to fish off of beaches from Corona del Mar to Dana Point. I'd hate to spend a lot of money on gear only to find out that it's not for me, and at this point in my life I probably won't be going often. My plan was to start off with buying a 6' pole spear, some 5mm socks, a stringer, a belt, and a small knife (which I want to get anyway for scuba). Any input is well appreciated so thanks in advance!

Last edited by maniacaris; 04-01-2015 at 10:47 AM.
maniacaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
Bentley41

Re: Newb Equipment Advice #BrokeCollegeStudent

hit up creigslist, or someone on here might live near by and willing to sell you some spare gear. goodluckk
Bentley41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Boya321

Sent you a pm
Boya321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
campbellc0321
Cortez Morning

All that gear you have is perfect. I wouldn't change anything but maybe a cheap pair of plastic freedive fins with. 4mm Argos booties. Speardeals.com have the cheap fins and booties for you. And look at gat-ku website for a polespear they are the best in town and the owner is awesome. After those couple things that's really all you need.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
campbellc0321
Cortez Morning

Oh ya, make your own fish stringer. Many threads here how to do that, for cheap. Do not buy a metal hoop stringer, waste of money. And don't work well will freediving.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:16 AM   #6
mikenator5000

Your plan sounds good to me. I started with a surf wetsuit, snorkel fins, no belt (don't do this with your wetsuit), no gloves, no booties, no stringer, and no knife. I was pretty pumped just to shoot a perch 10-15 feet down with my JBL Mini-Carbine and swim back to shore with it still thrashing around.
mikenator5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
norcalsurfer

I started the same way, converted from scuba and used that equipment for quite a while before upgrading. I used small, crappy split fins and I could still effectively hunt at 30'+. As Campbell pointed out, make your stringer. There is a DIY forum on this website that is really awesome and will help guide you. Good luck!
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #8
Fej

You don't need a camo suit and long blade fins to kill the sh*t out of some fish. I started freediving in a stiff as hell 8mil scuba suit and split fins and had no problems hunting down to 30ish feet. At that point the only thing holding me back was my skills as a free diver. Sure, if I put on my scuba fins now I wouldn't be able to dive quite as deep for quite as long but the most of the time it would not be a limiting factor.

Get some fin keepers. They are cheap and will probably help get a little more out of your fins, especially if they don't fit perfect.

Mako has some solid knives for ~$30. You'll want something with a sharp point that you won't miss if you lose it.

The argos socks are great but as long as you aren't walking over rocks a lot you'll be fine with some cheap 3mil socks. The argos socks will cost a little more but will last a lot longer.

I would recommend finding some freediving fins when you can afford it. Keep an eye on the forums, craigslist and pawnshops. I've scored some cheap as hell weight belts and cheap good quality free dive fins at pawnshops.

If you want to invest in a quality polespear LingHunt Engineering is also worth consideration. Made in California by an awesome guy.

If you want to go a cheaper route but get more out of a fiberglass pole; find one with a threaded tip and have Linghunt make you a flopper shaft and a powerband for it. I've got an older high quality fiberglass pole that did alright with a trident tip, bought a slip-tip and band from him and it transformed it into a very capable polespear.
Fej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #9
maniacaris

Thanks for all the great advice from all of you. I just wanted a pole spear mainly to get a feel for the sport. After that, I'll probably get a JBL Carbine or something similar. I might be going to the virgin islands this summer so I was eyeing this mako pole spear as it is suitable for travel.
Amazon.com : Spearfishing Traveler Pole Spear with 5 Prong Paralyzer Barb Tip : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Spearfishing Traveler Pole Spear with 5 Prong Paralyzer Barb Tip : Sports & Outdoors
The thing that stood out to me was the ability to change between lengths whether it be 3' for lionfish when I visit my brother in Florida or 6+ feet for pelagic-ish fish. I probably would't be using it for more than a year should I decide that I really enjoy the sport. Is this a good choice?
maniacaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
rysgates

Personally I would recommend your first investment be long-blades. I started with a similar setup to you, and I have almost everything swaged out now (I got a job at a dive shop to justify my hobby lol). The biggest game changer for my breath hold though was my fins. If your on a money saving plan then theres no harm in getting used fins, but I'd recommend getting good ones. I'm on my second pair now, which can be avoided by doing it right the first time, saves money in the long run. (As someone who sells a lot freediving fins for work, and I have personally tried multiple fins I recommend the Cressi Gara Modulars thats what I own now) Good luck! See you in the water!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Use that stuff you have for a full year then see if you like it enough to buy real stuff
I killed ungodly amounts of fish in scuba suits with open heel scuba find.
Just go out and have fun.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote