Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
landfish

What if?

What if our WSB fishery made a comeback so good in the next several years that they school up like these mulloway. I watch this video and think...how I wish they were schooled up like that so I could get a nice dinner and head home early sometimes.

Guess ill need to head to east oz until then.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=TWlKr...%3DTWlKrPnLP0s
landfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Re: What if?

I really don't know just how much better you want it.
I have seen on many occasions schools of better than 100 fish, all over 30lb. The biggest school I have seen was probably 500+ fish, and the average was about 45lb. At least, the 3 I shot were all carbon copy 45lb fish.
Last year, during the BWM at Cat, I was inundated by over 100 fish from 10-25lb. I took my bigger fish on the outside of the school; she was shadowing the mass of fish.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

I was lucky enough to see a seemingly endless school of fish all 40+ in crystal clear water a few years back.
Pretty much the exact same thing you posted but with big wsb. Took me about 20-30 full seconds of watching em all cruise by till I finally snapped out of it and decided to shoot one.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

They do school up like that. Nothing like seeing thousands of 4-5' fish swimming through the kelp like giant sardines.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Albondiga
A Harmer

Back in the early 20th century they used spotter planes and purse seine to fish for wsb. They just spotted the huge dark clouds of fish schools and the boats would wrap them up.

We have not seen anything yet when it comes to how good it can be if we manage this fishery well.
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
jake619

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphthehalibut View Post
They do school up like that. Nothing like seeing thousands of 4-5' fish swimming through the kelp like giant sardines.
Seen this before
jake619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albondiga View Post
Back in the early 20th century they used spotter planes and purse seine to fish for wsb. They just spotted the huge dark clouds of fish schools and the boats would wrap them up.

We have not seen anything yet when it comes to how good it can be if we manage this fishery well.
They do this NOW. (Well, after June 15 they will do it again, when the commercial season opens.)

Spotter planes work every summer, every year.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
They do this NOW. (Well, after June 15 they will do it again, when the commercial season opens.)

Spotter planes work every summer, every year.
That really is too bad. Anyone know what the commercial quota is? What about their by-catch??
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albondiga View Post
That really is too bad. Anyone know what the commercial quota is? What about their by-catch??
Not really any bycatch to speak of. They are netting finfish. As such, they can and do catch other related species like barracuda, sometimes yellowtail, mackerels, and they can sell them all.
There is no gill netting allowed within 3 miles of the coast. The sets they make are on migratory fish, and they do not have fish like calicos as bycatch, simply because they do not net right on top of kelp beds. The only exception is at Cortez Bank, where they can set close to beds. They do not set really close anyway, because the net is too expensive to lose in the kelp, and it is too hard to recover if they were to drift a net into the bed or on the reef.

The commercial catch rate is pretty small. And this is WHY the WSB have rebounded, because of the ban on nearshore gill nets.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the WSB grow out pens. The pens have added in their totality what nature delivers to the table in just 1 nights' spawning for 1 school of large WSB.

If you ever get a chance to ride in a spotter plane, I suggest you take up the offer. It's amazing what you can see from a seagulls' eye view!