Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #151
Jtnb

Re: epoxy bonds and temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prater View Post
A little update. When I added lead to the butt of the gun I poured it into the drilled hole. This hase caused a minor lamination issue. I think the lead swelled and caused one laminating to split. I will drill out the lead and fix the spot and then start over on ballast. Hopefully soon.
Old thread I realize, but it's clearly getting traffic still.

Re: lamination issues. I've never built a gun, but I have done a LOT of work with epoxy and some of it with teak. Epoxy is very thermally sensitive. In all likelihood you damaged the bond when you poured molten lead near the glue joints. A better method might be to sink shot into liquid epoxy. You could test the amount with just a plug and then let everything dry before filling with epoxy.

One source I read was that epoxy begins to lose strength at about 190 degrees Fahrenheit. We had issues with this in a shipbuilding project where welding was happening on steel adjacent to wood epoxy joints. Bottom line is avoid heat with epoxy.

The other thing I'll add about epoxy is that it is not particularly sensitive to curing temperatures, so the whole 60 degree thing is easily misunderstood. If the material (gunstock) and the epoxy (both parts) are stored and mixed warm, there is no loss of strength if temps drop even to freezing while curing. What's important is that it is mixed and applied above the min temp. What happens after that will slow the reaction but it will not compromise the bond. We do this all the time in shipyards in New England. If it's cold out, we just store the epoxy in a warm room, mix it there, and ensure that the epoxy goes on warm. Works every time.

Jonathan in CT
Jtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #152
78sharpshooter

Re: First Speargun Build

should be fine. I thought about using low melt babbit for this but am not sure about the corrosion resistance of it. It melts at ~170 F.
78sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #153
Don Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78sharpshooter View Post
should be fine. I thought about using low melt babbit for this but am not sure about the corrosion resistance of it. It melts at ~170 F.
All the babbit I've used melted around 350 degrees, but it depends on the amount of Tin in the blend. I use bismuth shot in my guns.
Cheers, Don
Don Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #154
Prater

Thanks again for all the words of encouragement. I feel like the time I took to make this thread was worth every second as I still get PM's from new builders thanking me for it.

Waiting on a new trigger mech to make a rear handle gun this time around. Hope to get started since I have about 5 blanks that have been hanging around for 2 or 3 years now...LOL
Prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #155
WestCoastDiver

is it not a good idea to use one solid piece of teak? or is there some kind of advantage of epoxying pieces together?
WestCoastDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #156
Prater

There are several discusions on the subject. It is easier to use a solid piece, but strength is a factor. Laminates are stronger than a solid chunk...
Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #157
WestCoastDiver

i would of never thought that..thanks
WestCoastDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #158
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prater View Post
...It is easier to use a solid piece...
Steven, I agree with you 99% of the time, but this is the 1%

I think it is harder to use a solid piece because there is a higher risk it is going to warp and/or twist once you start cutting it. Internal stress bonds developed during the growth of the tree are released as it is cut/machined. These bonds develop naturally to support the weight of a branch for example. This means it is hard to find a solid piece that is going to stay straight.

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #159
Prater

Yeah Gary, I do agree a solid piece will warp over time. I believe a lot of guys overlook that and feel it is easier to use a solid piece. I missplaced my words...
Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 AM   #160
scubadan561

wow great build!!!! thanks for sharing i will be strating a build next week.
scubadan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #161
Prater

Finally took a little larger game with my gun this last week. I participated in the Diving for a Cause Hatteras Invitational for Cystic Fibrosis last week. Took this nice Amberjack Freediving. I was with Terry Maas and I asked him if he minded using my gun and give me some feedback. He came back with an AJ and gave me some very nice compliments on the gun, that really made my day...not to mention we raised $14,500 dollars for the CF Foundation. Thanks Ryan for the great pics for me to share.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #162
CaliApnea

Wow, what an awesome build! I am definitely inspired!!! Great Job!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #163
Prater

Glad you liked the thread, I have moved out where guns are illegal so my spearing now is with a Keller 10 foot Polespear. I have a few small grouper but nothing big around here I want to shoot, Cig is a problem with the larger fish so I stay clear of them...plus I still suck!!! Tuna, Mahi, and Wahoo are plentiful but I use hook and line for them in about 2000 feet of water...
Old 09-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #164
Prater

Old thread revival...I really miss my speargun!!! Guess you have to give up a few things to live in paradise
Old 09-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #165
Carlz

I've always enjoyed the challenge of pole spearing. Sometimes it is too easy with a speargun! Your thread was one of my main inspirations for my first gun build which is now almost complete. All the forming is done, I just need to take a weekend to epoxy coat it and add some final touches.

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
Carlz is offline   Reply With Quote