Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
Eibwen

Grouper hunting

Anyone care to share some tips on how to get within shooting distance of cautious grouper? This past weekend there were some nice sized reds but I couldn't get within 20ft of them. I did try setting my stringer down on the sand, kicking up some of the bottom, and hiding behind some rocks in an ambush position. Worked to bring in a bunch of mangos (I wouldn't try this if I saw any sharks in the area). The big grouper came in a bit but sat well outside my shooting range.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
Powers
Dad

Re: Grouper hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Anyone care to share some tips on how to get within shooting distance of cautious grouper? This past weekend there were some nice sized reds but I couldn't get within 20ft of them. I did try setting my stringer down on the sand, kicking up some of the bottom, and hiding behind some rocks in an ambush position. Worked to bring in a bunch of mangos (I wouldn't try this if I saw any sharks in the area). The big grouper came in a bit but sat well outside my shooting range.
Sounds like you are on SCUBA, so this may not be as useful if so, but what I've found is that most grouper don't like something swimming toward them at their level (from the sides or front). When you dive bomb them from above, they seem to let you get much closer. Thinking about it one way, the shark comes from the side, the turtle comes from above. Be the turtle. Just a thought. I'm no grouper expert. Although I did manage a nice one last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grouper.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	239298  
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
CatDiver

Generally red grouper are stupid and will just sit there and/or follow you around. Gags on the other hand are pretty skittish with scuba, especially as they get bigger. Often you have to chase them for awhile at a steady speed from above them until they decide to turn around and look at you. That or shoot them in a hole.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Shoot one of the mangos - leave it alone while you load your extra shaft. If the grouper has not come over to check out the action, then shoot another mango (or something else). Even if the grouper doesn't swim over at least you picked up some groceries

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Shoot one of the mangos - leave it alone while you load your extra shaft. If the grouper has not come over to check out the action, then shoot another mango (or something else). Even if the grouper doesn't swim over at least you picked up some groceries
I like this!

Going to be in your neck of the woods starting Sunday - I hope you do well on your 4 day ARS season - LOL.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Thanks, good luck to you! This is what last weekend Red Snapper season looked like, the one's between the Sheeps and the Red Grouper are Trigger:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOD_Crop.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	239301  

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Thanks, good luck to you! This is what last weekend Red Snapper season looked like, the one's between the Sheeps and the Red Grouper are Trigger:
Damn, I LOVE trigger and haven't gotten one in 3 years. Stupid regs over on this side of the pond are insane. And they just closed it again for the rest of the year.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote