Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:24 AM   #16
HARVESTER

Re: Fishing for grouper at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Hmmm...yea, that's curious. Where is "here"? I'm in lower Tampa bay. Usually, the temps would be lower this time of year and the run would be over...although, the water temps aren't where they're usually at. Me thinks the gags rely upon the temps and the amount of daylight...hence, the delay. Thoughts?
Wow, the lower bay never had vis like that when I was a kid. Then again, the 70's was a much different time.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #17
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARVESTER View Post
Wow, the lower bay never had vis like that when I was a kid. Then again, the 70's was a much different time.
I think he made have been exaggerating a bit. Yes, we've had a spout of low winds and light rain, which are the primary factors of clear water, but the best I've seen in the upper bays is about 8' at best on the primo of days. I've seen 10-->15 in the bay/sound, but not the upper bays.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #18
HARVESTER

Quote:
Hmmm...yea, that's curious. Where is "here"? I'm in lower Tampa bay. Usually, the temps would be lower this time of year and the run would be over...although, the water temps aren't where they're usually at. Me thinks the gags rely upon the temps and the amount of daylight...hence, the delay. Thoughts?
I've shot, caught many HL Gags row-laden way into July/summer in deep water. Maybe it's different in the Gulf dunno, but the common group mind-set is wrong AFAIC in the East. You'd think they all would be done by April in the mid/southern part of Flowda.

They'll spawn when they like, getting freaky when they like. How close they come to shore around here is a big ?. Have trolled them up in 10' water in July and caught juvies in the river fishing for Snook, so I wonder if the spawn is year round. I will say they aren't around or not feeding in the deep late summer, so where are they?

Love thinking about it though...
Old 12-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #19
Marcus

Quote:
I've shot, caught many HL Gags row-laden way into July/summer in deep water. Maybe it's different in the Gulf dunno, but the common group mind-set is wrong AFAIC in the East. You'd think they all would be done by April in the mid/southern part of Flowda.

They'll spawn when they like, getting freaky when they like. How close they come to shore around here is a big ?. Have trolled them up in 10' water in July and caught juvies in the river fishing for Snook, so I wonder if the spawn is year round. I will say they aren't around or not feeding in the deep late summer, so where are they?

Love thinking about it though...
H,

We have the juv's breeding inshore on the flats/shallow year 'round here on the w coast. The breeders make a big move inland once the water cools. As you're aware, the gags are movers and follow the water temps, as opposed to the reds...and even more curious, the blacks. It's strange to me how a species could be that different.
Why do the gags move inland on this coast? Feeding opportunities? What exactly are they feeding upon? Mullet? I can't think of any other migrating fish this time of year. They seemingly follow the mullet run. They do dissapear when it gets too cold and retreat to deeper waters that are more stable during cold fronts. You've got me tinking.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 12-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #20
HARVESTER

Quote:
H,

We have the juv's breeding inshore on the flats/shallow year 'round here on the w coast. The breeders make a big move inland once the water cools. As you're aware, the gags are movers and follow the water temps, as opposed to the reds...and even more curious, the blacks. It's strange to me how a species could be that different.
Why do the gags move inland on this coast? Feeding opportunities? What exactly are they feeding upon? Mullet? I can't think of any other migrating fish this time of year. They seemingly follow the mullet run. They do dissapear when it gets too cold and retreat to deeper waters that are more stable during cold fronts. You've got me tinking.
They move North. I know that, so maybe they spawn later and later up the coast, which proves-out my theory... maybe...

But why did South Flowda have such a stellar Gag fishery a few years ago when the temp must have been in the 80s underwater in July/August?

Did their business and hung, smoking cigarettes and wearing bathrobes instead of kicking it up North?

I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience all this crap though. The sea always amazes me.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #21
Marcus

Quote:
They move North. I know that, so maybe they spawn later and later up the coast, which proves-out my theory... maybe...

But why did South Flowda have such a stellar Gag fishery a few years ago when the temp must have been in the 80s underwater in July/August?

Did their business and hung, smoking cigarettes and wearing bathrobes instead of kicking it up North?

I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience all this crap though. The sea always amazes me.
Move North? That's new to me. Admittedly, you've guys have more experience than me. I also haven't heard of this phenomena of them being prevalent in July/August. That's something I've never heard of. FL cracker, here.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #22
chawk25

All the bait is moving out of the bays and shallow water when it gets cold. Gags come in at that time.
chawk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #23
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawk25 View Post
All the bait is moving out of the bays and shallow water when it gets cold. Gags come in at that time.
Yea, OK, I get your thought process...but are you implying that gags are coming in to only take advantage of that opportunity? What about the spring run then? I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I've always wanted to understand this phenomena.
IMO, the best explanation is the gags maybe following in the breeder bait in the fall, then coming in for the hatchlings in the Spring?? Preferring cooler waters, but not too cold?
Old 12-31-2017, 10:52 AM   #24
HARVESTER

Quote:
Move North? That's new to me. Admittedly, you've guys have more experience than me. I also haven't heard of this phenomena of them being prevalent in July/August. That's something I've never heard of. FL cracker, here.
Taking about the East coast. They run all the way up to Hatteras. Not all, but a sizable portion. Can't convince me they winter over up there unless very deep. Very interesting species... Was fun chasing them around though.

Red Snapper were the Fish of choice for closures because they move in, out, North and South. Theoretically, they could propose a huge area of bottom closure to "protect" them (which they were seriously considering turning the firkin whole Southern Atlantic into a MPA, remember?

As far as Summer residency, I'm sure the spearos in South Florida remember what I'm talking about. They were nailing them and back then, I thought the same as you. The water was too warm I can remember thinking. Since then, I started paying attention to state waters. Sometimes temperatures stay pretty consistently cool along the beach over here. Also the thermocline rolling-in can be party time for them. I've seen 100 pound Warsaw in 80 feet and seen two separate environments at the same time - Cobia, Kings, Phins, Gags/Red Snapper above, all the other smaller stuff below the fog layer... Pretty cool.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:03 AM   #25
Marcus

Quote:
Taking about the East coast. They run all the way up to Hatteras. Not all, but a sizable portion. Can't convince me they winter over up there unless very deep. Very interesting species... Was fun chasing them around though.

Red Snapper were the Fish of choice for closures because they move in, out, North and South. Theoretically, they could propose a huge area of bottom closure to "protect" them (which they were seriously considering turning the firkin whole Southern Atlantic into a MPA, remember?

As far as Summer residency, I'm sure the spearos in South Florida remember what I'm talking about. They were nailing them and back then, I thought the same as you. The water was too warm I can remember thinking. Since then, I started paying attention to state waters. Sometimes temperatures stay pretty consistently cool along the beach over here. Also the thermocline rolling-in can be party time for them. I've seen 100 pound Warsaw in 80 feet and seen two separate environments at the same time - Cobia, Kings, Phins, Gags/Red Snapper above, all the other smaller stuff below the fog layer... Pretty cool.
Yea, it's really two completely different environments. The water temps in the summer here can be unbearable. I've been on the Gulf when it was a lake out. You can't get cool. Sweating in the shade of the top. Have to jump in and dive down 15' to get to cool water for some relief.
We do have some resident species, but they are far and few in between. The run is the fun.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:31 PM   #26
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Weve always did good on bottom fishing during a full moon. They seem to feed better at night then and less so during the day. The bait didn't seem to matter that much, squid, sardines etc. The area that you fish is dependant on water temps as already been discussed.
Back down south, we had a saying for a full moon: great for fishing, bad for frogging.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #27
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
Back down south, we had a saying for a full moon: great for fishing, bad for frogging.
Curious, why bad for frogging? I'm an amateur at frogging, can't say as I've put much effort into it. I've done my share of gator hunting and was amazed at the lack of quality sized frogs while spotting gators in central Fl.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #28
HARVESTER

Quote:
Curious, why bad for frogging? I'm an amateur at frogging, can't say as I've put much effort into it. I've done my share of gator hunting and was amazed at the lack of quality sized frogs while spotting gators in central Fl.
I'm interested as well. The Orlando area should have all kinds of Froggy habitat. Never seen them (bulls) where I live in Melbourne near the beach (plenty of toads though).
Old 01-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #29
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Marcus, you've hit right on the reason. Gators love frogs especially the smaller gators. At a full moon they are much easier to be spotted and homed in on by a hungry coon or gator. The ponds down in your area are full of bull frogs and leapord frogs, smaller but just as tasty. We used to take the air boat and flatten out miles of cat tails then go back and hunt the area. The frogs, if the night is dark, will climb up on them and be easy targets. Free ride home! But during a bright moon you couldn't buy a frog. Go back on a dark night and Clean up on them. By the way, pellet rifles are not considered a firearm by FWC and can be used to harvest them.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #30
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
Marcus, you've hit right on the reason. Gators love frogs especially the smaller gators. At a full moon they are much easier to be spotted and homed in on by a hungry coon or gator. The ponds down in your area are full of bull frogs and leapord frogs, smaller but just as tasty. We used to take the air boat and flatten out miles of cat tails then go back and hunt the area. The frogs, if the night is dark, will climb up on them and be easy targets. Free ride home! But during a bright moon you couldn't buy a frog. Go back on a dark night and Clean up on them. By the way, pellet rifles are not considered a firearm by FWC and can be used to harvest them.
Excellent post. Makes sense. Lake Istapoga was my stomping ground. I'm deadly w/ a 760/766 Crossman.
So, are you telling me that if I went out w/ my BB gun on a new moon that I could rack up on the bulls? I do love me some frog legs.
Funny story, I was in back woods China a while back, and we went to the fanciest eatery in town. I ordered the frog soup, hence my appreciation for frog legs. I was about half way done w/ my soup and spit out a bone from my mouth. It was a f'in frog's skull. SOB. It was pretty decent soup until then.