Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #46
snokat
Registered Lobster Abuser

Send a message via AIM to snokat
Re: Spearfisher attacked by Bull shark

Spent some time there myself. One of the local resort owners feeds the lemon sharks every night after dinner. She does this wearing a dress and barehanded, very gutzy lady. Bonefish Resort if you are interested, the guide/bartender's name is Al if you stop by for dinner.
I agree with OceanEd, wonder how well this guy knew the area he was spearing in, especially if he was doing it alone.

The only good fish, is the one on my plate. AK
snokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #47
JDC 92
dirty water diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
If you do let me know what they taste like. I know people around these areas eat them too. I just don't have the heart to go through with it.
will do
Old 05-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #48
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kywestfreediver View Post
Also, i love how the picture for the article is a close up on the mouth of a Sand Tiger, b/c it has those crazy scary teeth..
EXACTLY...way to give false impressions. I hate that. First picture in the article...and it's the wrong species. Anything to stir up fear and sell the story.

On another note. He said in the video the wife had to pull the anchor and come get him. From what I have been told about spearing in the Bahamas, is you don't want to spend more than 15 minutes or so in any particular spot because the sharks are always around. Seems to me if he was anchored that he was there for a while...or planned to be there for a while. Thank god he's ok though.

As for killing sharks...doing so just to kill them for sport (like that 1000lb hammerhead off the west coast of florida last week) or because you think they deserve to be killed as a result of this incident...what a waste of an animal that has adapted so well to do what it does best. It is a top predator for a reason.

Jon jon - you have a lot to learn about sharks if you don't see the important role they play.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #49
parkerlewis
Hog's n Tog's

watch the documentary Shark Water
parkerlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #50
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

Pussy didn't bite him back? If it was a territory thing I would have rushed the shark first instead of letting him rush me. I was amazed to see a little reef fish attack and scare off large groupers when they went into its territory...it's a very effective method.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #51
JDC 92
dirty water diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
Pussy didn't bite him back? If it was a territory thing I would have rushed the shark first instead of letting him rush me. I was amazed to see a little reef fish attack and scare off large groupers when they went into its territory...it's a very effective method.
exactly, kinda like if a group of guys come up actin like they're gunna jump you...just go after the closest 1...the rest are like wtf im gettin away from that crazy little bastard

also the same thing happens with birds as the fish...ever seen black birds chase crows or crows chase hawks?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #52
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Snapping/soft shell turtles are tasty...kind of like rabbit.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #53
JDC 92
dirty water diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Snapping/soft shell turtles are tasty...kind of like rabbit.
i wont eat a soft shell but im settin my lines out today for catfish and snappin turtles so i'll probably try 1 of em...how are they cooked best? soup? and how the hell do you get to the meat?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #54
slingin' steel'

bullsharks are completely unpredictable. ive had them come up and try to take a chunk out of me when i had no fish on me. if the shark attacks you kill it. maybe on the board youd say that you would never shoot a shark no matter what but if its you or the shark,wouldnt you pull the trigger?
slingin' steel' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #55
Nathan Florian

I have seen several sharks while diving and spearing and they normally run the other way when they see you. I have over 400 dives logged and have seen FIVE sharks with a speargun and dead fish on hand, one of which was a 6' Bull Shark that showed the signs of attack mode ( back arched, peck fins down, head going side to side) and he made the fatal mistake of charging us. 60" of Ray Odor steel met him half way and changed his mind. A shark that swims away should be allowed to leave unharmed, but if they want to be aggressive they need to be put down for your safety AND the safety of the next diver who may not be as experienced as you are and winds up being in the newspaper like the diver mentioned in this story.
Nathan Florian is offline   Reply With Quote