Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #16
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Deep Chit! - Strange Algae at 210 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavehunter
The problem is nutrient rich water that is deep well injected by the coastal municipalities at a depth of 3000 ft. This aquifer is separated by clay confining layers from the aquifer that we draw our drinking water from. We believe that these clay confining layers breakdown offshore and provide a supply of nutrients to these deeper reefs.
Exactly! I look forward to the analysis of the algea.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #17
bfsc
SLAYER's Brother

Re: Deep Chit! - Strange Algae at 210 feet

That might be the case. But, if that is the case then why wouldn't there be breakdowns of the clay layer over the land? or is there? It seems like there wouldn't be that big of a difference between land and a couple of miles offshore. But maybe ther is.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #18
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Deep Chit! - Strange Algae at 210 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfsc
That might be the case. But, if that is the case then why wouldn't there be breakdowns of the clay layer over the land? or is there? It seems like there wouldn't be that big of a difference between land and a couple of miles offshore. But maybe ther is.

CaveHunter is Scott that works for HBOI who I gave the sample to for analysis. Scientist Dr. Brian Lapointe is one of the world's experts on these things and has been studying our area here off Palm Beach for years.

See this link: http://www.hboi.edu/news/features/lapointe.html

I too want to learn how that whole aquifer thing works. This should be interesting to find out what these scientists think about this algea.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

Last edited by SpearMax; 06-18-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:27 AM   #19
bfsc
SLAYER's Brother

I have a pretty good understanding of the aquifer system, but I defnately do not know everything. It would be interesting if you do find something. I am in the water treatment business.

In my head, I was thinking there are wells probably less then 5 miles away that go down maybe 200' and they are all over south forida, and to the best of my knolwedge nothing has been found in any of the wells to indicate this. Let us know what you find out.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #20
Summerland Key

I am afraid that Scott is correct on the nutrient upwellings. Injection wells just never seemed like a good idea to me. Injecting nutrient rich effluent into the ground and expecting it to stay there forever is not realistic thinking. It is a time bomb waiting to go off. Algae is a marine plant, fertilize it and it grows. Scott and Brian would have the data on this one. It is right in their back yard and I am sure research has been done. Don
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #21
cavehunter

This macroalgae is definitely a rhodophyte meaning that it is a red macroalgae. It has simple branching pattern which are delicate, fine and filamentous. It closely resembles a shallow water alga (Aglaothamnion cordatum) that grows on other algae but it isn't found this deep. I did find some sexual reproductive cells called tetrasporangia that were similar to above mentioned alga. The sample will probably have to be sent out for definite identification. I included some micrographs that I took with a high powered microscope to help in the identification process. Another interesting point was the color change in the mat of algae was caused by the grazing of the large starfish on the wreck.
Cheers,
Scott Hurley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Korimu1.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	57108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Korimu2.jpg
Views:	1077
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	57109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Korimu3.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	57110  
Old 06-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #22
cavehunter

I thought this little cartoon would help with the process that were involved with Submarine groundwater discharge (SGD). Idealized land-sea interface, showing various SGD processes and scales.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sgd.jpg
Views:	1892
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	57114  
Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #23
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Hey Scott, that is great information and shows how we humans may be affecting the ocean in this case if it is caused by deep discharge. I will pass this along to the County people. Thanks, Tony

Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 AM   #24
Summerland Key

Scott:

Thanks for the information. The drawing clearly shows how ground water can make it offshore. Don
Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 AM   #25
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Tony,

In the confusion of shooting a big fish with multiple spears, I left a perfectly good spear on the bottom once in about 190'. I realized it at about 130', but wasn't about to drop for it and add a stack of deco time...

But I've never left a captured fish on the bottom!!

You are definitely overdue for trimix!

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #26
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: Deep Chit! - Strange Algae at 210 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavehunter View Post
I thought this little cartoon would help with the process that were involved with Submarine groundwater discharge (SGD). Idealized land-sea interface, showing various SGD processes and scales.
Bump for an old thread that will be coming back to life soon.

I was talking with a scientist last week who is exploring similar findings of algae growth in unusual places in the Gulf of Mexico very far offshore. I told him about this thread from 7 years ago and he asked me and cavehunter to check out the situation here to see if ther algae is still growing.

Basically, he agreed with cavehunter's assessment of the cause of this algae growth.

We will be check out the scene soon and report back.

Tony

Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #27
sfmill
checkthewater

Any results on the algae growth
sfmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #28
Summerland Key

It looks like to save money FKAA is going with shallow injection wells (120 feet) on Cudjoe Key. Initially it was supposed to be deep well--which still is not good--but better than the shallow ones..
Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #29
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Wink Re: Deep Chit! - Strange Algae at 210 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmill View Post
Any results on the algae growth
Hi sfmill, we have not yet dove the spot to search for the phenomenon this year. We might try this weekend. Thanks for the reminder. Tony