Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-28-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
Bob Ballew

Catalina Report: 2/23/19

...Caught the weather window both ways on Tuesday/Wed., with flat conditions most of the way. At 3700 rpm, we were running at 27 mph, burning about 14-15 gph. The island is covered in green growth with flowers starting to bloom. The night sky was clear with thousands of stars visible, almost making boat ownership a positive thing.. Picked our spot up west on the inside to find lobster and stopped at the Isthmus for a cup of coffee. Talked with Harbor Patrol about a diver they brought in for treatment of the bends, although he had made scuba dives within the dive table limits.
...Ran west and set up our 10 hoop nets just before dark. Others had the same plan, with 4 or 5 boats visible. It proved to be a long 6 hours of pulling nets and we finally quit after landing 13 bugs to 3 1/2 pounds, one short of our limit. May have to join the scuba crowd to shorten the effort and time factors....will post photos if kid helps....
...Positives: boat ran great and mission accomplished. Enroute home, we were surrounded mid-channel by a square mile of jumping dolphin, surfing in our wake. Negatives: I always plan for combo trips to meet the elements and a change in the game plan, if needed. The kid had talked me into leaving the squid gear at home, as my dive gear and rods were, "taking up too much room."
...The water was pea soup green with 15' vertical vis and 5' horizontal, so, that canceled free diving, based on my previous experiences...Then, we shined a flashlight in the water, only to see hundreds of squid buzzing all around our lights... No dip nets, so, no calamari for dinner or sea bass bait, making my rods useless......
...To add insult to injury, as we were arriving back at the dock this morning (Wed.), a buddy calls Billy to brag about them catching 3 big yellows, 2 wsb and losing 2 wsb this very morning while fishing with live squid on the backside........……….…!
Moral: stick with your plan and kick your kid in the backside when he leverages you into "guilting" out of a good plan.... So much for, "bonding with your kids"...…. Note: Title should be 2/27/19...(typo)..

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-02-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
Castor

Re: Catalina Report: 2/23/19

Dang. With the local vis here in San Diego being so good, I thought for sure you were going to score. Such is diving. Sleeping on a boat is always a nice.

Thanks for the report.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
Bob Ballew

I use "Tempbreak" for the water temp and Chloro info before trips. It was right on, showing green to brown water all around the island, due to upwelling. We ran back east to Emerald Bay and tied up on a mooring behind the big rock to get some uninterrupted sleep. Next morning was sunny and calm. Was amazed to see a small tree growing on top of the rock, with yellow blooming flowers around it.. Catalina island is truly, "The Magic Isle"!...
Old 02-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
apeogre

Thanks for the trip report. Hopefully it will clear out a bit soon
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

Bob, always appreciate the reports. Thank you

U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Kadman

Appreciate the report. Sounds like a great trip overall. I love swimming back to the boat in the middle of the night gazing at all the stars. It is the Enchanted Isle. Have a great weekend. Cheers, Kadman
Kadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
Bob Ballew

spent an hour trying to transfer iPhone photos to here....I hate technology....OUt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456 (1).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	241814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	241815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	241816  

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-02-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:32 PM   #8
mikelb

Love the pics.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #9
iambluesman

Great pics

Thanks for the report Bob
iambluesman is offline   Reply With Quote