Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

The Ultimate Christmas Gift....

...Every year, I tout the benefits of purchasing a California Lifetime Fishing License for young divers and all our children who show an interest in the sea...
A yearly license is currently $48.34. A Lifetime license is $$533 for kids to age 9. Wait until they are age 10 to 39 and the cost jumps to $872 ($338 more). For oldies of 40 to 61, the cost is $785.
...So, when would you break even on the expenditure of $872? Eighteen years is the breakeven point where the license becomes free thereafter; compared to paying it on a yearly basis...Assuming a child or young diver lives until the average age of 85, that is a lot of savings over the years. Expensive initially, yes. But, in the long run, every year, your children will remember your gift long after your final dive into the afterlife.
...Us Southern California divers and fishermen get tagged for what is called the Ocean Enhancement validation, an extra charge, probably for our ability to catch more fish than our northern brethren? It is $5.40 per year if not purchased at the time you buy the Lifetime license....Expect the fees to go up over time, as the Democratic majority will need to fund their retirements..

The only difference between Republicans and Democrats is: Democrats spend all your tax dollars on things they say you need, and, Republicans spend all your money on things they say they need.....
For more Lifetime license info, go to: wildlife.ca.gov/licensing/fishing

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 12-06-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
StukNotAnchored

Re: The Ultimate Christmas Gift....

FLorida has the same thing
Old 12-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Zenon

Perfect!
You have to go into the office to purchase. Just happens to be across the road from my office. Looks like my 6 y.o. is getting a cool christmas present!
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Island Rat

They still get you for lobster cards and abalone cards (if they ever give them out). I have looked a few times and always talk myself out of it. The price does keep going up, didn't they used to be @ $16.00?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

Unless the rules have changed, you should be able to purchase them online. My license was purchased in that manner, but, it was many years ago when it was only $275!...
Old 12-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
Scott Diego
Ocean Bound

Just so I am clear on this. DFG website says "any person over 16" must be in possession of a fishing license. From a time value of money standpoint wouldnt it make sense to wait until they are 9 years old? (there is a price from 0-9 for whatever reason). Can a person that is 15 fish without a license?

"Q: Who needs a sport fishing license?

A: Any person who is 16 years of age or older must possess a valid sport fishing license when taking any fish, shell fish, reptile, or amphibian in California..."

http://www.darnellcapital.com

"hasta la victoria siempre"
Scott Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
NaClAddict

Scott, it goes up in price on a regular basis.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:43 AM   #8
UCLA_Spearo
Eric

I bought mine at 750-ish. The lifetime and annual will most likely increase proportionately. Takes 17 years to break even.
UCLA_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:04 AM   #9
Bob Ballew

Two different intents on the regs: not requiring a license until age 16 was intended to encourage parents to take their youngsters fishing without too much cost and expose kids to the water world of fishing (and hunting) when they are young. By age 16, they are hooked and the state starts looking for income from their hobby....first the bait (free), then, the hook (taxation)….It's the American Way......