Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #16
arice

Re: Sticky? I decided not to go to mexico because license and visa process is confusi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
Lol sorry they make it so hard on you to fish there but that's just how it goes bro. Minor inconvenience compared to what they go through to be in the USA, don't you think.
Exactly my thought. We've got the leading candidate for one of the major parties promoting "Build a Wall and Make Them Pay For It" as his primary foreign policy. It seems pretty weak to complain that Mexicans want us to fill out a few forms and buy a fishing license in return for running all over their beautiful country.

They could make it a lot worse. And anyone who has lived in Latin America understands that the bureaucracy is EVERYWHERE. It's not just targeting gringos.
arice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #17
arice

Re: Sticky? I decided not to go to mexico because license and visa process is confusi

Quote:
Nice haha! I've never had a passport either just use my birth certificate and they never give me problems on the way back. Never needed to get any other permits, they only made get a TIP temporary import permit at the border for my boat last time I took it to baja
One thing to think about is that if you EVER have to fly back (medical emergency, etc.) from a trip that you drove down with just your birth certificate the airline is not even going to let you on the plane. Much less would you get through immigration without one at the US airport if they did let you on.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #18
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice View Post
Exactly my thought. We've got the leading candidate for one of the major parties promoting "Build a Wall and Make Them Pay For It" as his primary foreign policy. It seems pretty weak to complain that Mexicans want us to fill out a few forms and buy a fishing license in return for running all over their beautiful country.

They could make it a lot worse. And anyone who has lived in Latin America understands that the bureaucracy is EVERYWHERE. It's not just targeting gringos.
Exactly! Couldn't agree any more.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #19
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
One thing to think about is that if you EVER have to fly back (medical emergency, etc.) from a trip that you drove down with just your birth certificate the airline is not even going to let you on the plane. Much less would you get through immigration without one at the US airport if they did let you on.
You're right about that. I'm getting a passport soon.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #20
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Considering we sent a young man back on a Life Flight plane about 18 years ago, on a spearfishing trip, I can tell you that when things go wrong, they go terribly wrong in Mexico.
You are better off to just get your paperwork sorted for this very reason. Once things go wrong, there will be no time to make things happen to correct any paperwork deficiencies. Arice; such a great point you made.

Now, the other ways we have seen people come back when things went not right?? I have seen a Baja racer hitch a ride to a yacht offshore, and sail his ass home in his race suit. We actually traded drivers once and ran a buggy back thru the wildlands up to Dulzura, to help a guy who was looking to stay away from unfriendly people. The racer was in an accident, and he was not at fault. But, as they say...... the rules in Mexico are very clear about accidents; all responsibility is jointly shared. When there is damage or injuries, it is often a very sticky situation, even when your insurance and papers are PERFECT. The driver was taken in, they sorted everything out, and once they realized his family had some pretty serious holdings, they came looking for him. Mind you, he was already 'cleared'. But when there is a potential payoff, people tend to get held down there. So he simply said 'Adios' and took a boat to a big boat, and that was the end of that.

The other guy was stopped and robbed by some uniformed fellas, let's say somewhere between San Felipe and Ensenada. And he handed over some serious parts spares from his race rig. And then they decided to come hit him for more. But it was not uniformed the second time, it was guys who had rather nice suburbans and F250's. A quick decision was made as to how to get clear of there, and the easiest answer was to have another person drive in his place in his rig back to the trailer and hauler, and he climbed into MY rig, without my asking...... and said I need to get out of here, and since you are headed that way....... We chose to stick to paths which would have very few road crossings, and no trips thru towns. Everyone else was stopped repeatedly on the highways out of there. Everyone got shaken down for all their cash. There were uniformed guys in Suburbans with 'cowboys', and they were looking over everyone and looking for the other vehicle in question. Once it was in the hauler, and they realized the driver was no longer with it, they asked where he was. The guy driving the hauler said he got scared and went to the police station, and to the Federales. BINGO. They let everyone go, no more checkpoints, no more harassment. Everyone climbed into their rigs and drove off into the desert, leaving all the race trucks and buggies alone.

Mind you; in BOTH these cases, everyone's paperwork was in perfect order. The point is, when things go wrong, the last thing you want is a paperwork problem.

And y'all wonder WHY I am sometimes leery of going to certain places....
Old 04-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #21
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:

It's still so easy going in Mexico, it's almost hard to believe.
Try going to Europe and see what they have to do there. Look into fishing in Germany. Boyyy, did I get an eye opener. Our regulations writers would jizz all over themselves if they were allowed to implant HALF as many restrictions on us as they do there. It's brutal. Many other places in SE Asia are also really tough. Japan has a set of rules for every set of rules.

Mexico is relatively easy.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #22
Seeco

Quote:
Lol sorry they make it so hard on you to fish there but that's just how it goes bro. Minor inconvenience compared to what they go through to be in the USA, don't you think.
No its not minor at all. I actually bought my US licence on my phone 5 minutes before jumping in the water the first time this year. I should be more specific - there's too many different websites for the licence process and the visa. Many search results are dead ends, payment is done on different sites than the original paperwork, there's even conflicting "official" Web pages for getting these documents. I hate computerization of everything but what's even worse is when it's there but impossible to find.

Last edited by Seeco; 04-23-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:13 AM   #23
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeco View Post
No its not minor at all. I actually bought my US licence on my phone 5 minutes before jumping in the water the first time this year. I should be more specific - there's too many different websites for the licence process and the visa. Many search results are dead ends, payment is done on different sites than the original paperwork, there's even conflicting "official" Web pages for getting these documents. I hate computerization of everything but what's even worse is when it's there but impossible to find.
Cry me a river, they are making it hard for you to have fun and fish so conveniently by not being able to purchase licenses/permits via an app lmao! Why do you feel so entitled to enter another country so easily for recreation when we make it so hard for them to enter ours? What are you even crying about? Are you trying to go to mainland Mex or Baja California? Count your blessings and do the leg work that they require, if you want something bad enough you'll do whatever it takes. No one is gonna just hand something to you that easy. Maybe in America but then you'll just be on Welfare.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #24
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Cry me a river, they are making it hard for you to have fun and fish so conveniently by not being able to purchase licenses/permits via an app lmao! Why do you feel so entitled to enter another country so easily for recreation when we make it so hard for them to enter ours? What are you even crying about? Are you trying to go to mainland Mex or Baja California? Count your blessings and do the leg work that they require, if you want something bad enough you'll do whatever it takes. No one is gonna just hand something to you that easy. Maybe in America but then you'll just be on Welfare.
Lest anyone forget..... Mexico does not make easy ANY paperwork for Messican nationals to do things in their own country. ou know how long it takes for someone who asks for immigration paperwork from Mexico, even if they are articulate and follow all the pathways perfectly? Between 2-15 YEARS. One of our guys had a 2 year wait for his birth paperwork and medical records. Something we walk into the doctors' office and get in like 15 minutes, and all you do is hit up the state and they process a birth cet........ while you wait standing there.

It's another country, plain and simple. Put all other things aside, and that is one of the many reasons people LEAVE a place as beautiful as Mexico. They can't stand to live with their own people, for all the bullshit they have to put up with in life.

I hope they find great spearfishing off the coast of Libya; then we will REALLY see just how bad some of us want to go spear some new, exotic spots!!
Old 04-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #25
Seeco

Went to Catalina instead that time. I have total respect for a nations right to require whatever the heck they want of visitors. Especially us since we are bossy in international relations. I just want CONAPESCA and immigration to see that it would be profitable to make the paperwork easier
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #26
arice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeco View Post
Went to Catalina instead that time. I have total respect for a nations right to require whatever the heck they want of visitors. Especially us since we are bossy in international relations. I just want CONAPESCA and immigration to see that it would be profitable to make the paperwork easier
Making paperwork DIFFICULT is very profitable for the people in power. Every obstacle is an opportunity for someone to get paid to make things suddenly go smoothly. This is hardly unique to Mexico but it's certainly an issue there. Don't expect Mexican paperwork to get efficient any time soon.