Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
sr503

Rob Allen Remora Floats?

Going to baja this summer and need a float was thinking about getting the RA remora 35. After reading some reviews it seems as though these floats may have leaking problems. Can anyone verify this, or have a solid reivew on the quality? I don't mind buying a riffe 2 atm but I would rather buy the RA as it is almost half the price. Thanks
sr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
schwaman

Re: Rob Allen Remora Floats?

I think the leaking was mainly related to the oldee ones. I ve had my remora 35l for over a year and on 3 trips overseas. This thing is built like a zodiac, really thick material.
Has very little drag, perfect float i am getting a smaller size as well.
And with a standard car valve you can pump it up on every gas station in 3rd world countries.
schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Castronova
The Conch Republic

I don't know if mine is the "remora" model but it is an RA 35 with a bladder. It does leak when left inflated for days or weeks and very slowly, but certainly not at any level to worry about... It is very strongly built.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
SporaScrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
I don't know if mine is the "remora" model but it is an RA 35 with a bladder. It does leak when left inflated for days or weeks and very slowly, but certainly not at any level to worry about... It is very strongly built.

If your float has laces on top like a football then it's the older hippo float with the replaceable bladder. The remora float doesn't have a replaceable bladder and doesn't have the laces either.
SporaScrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Freediveshop
The Professionals

I really like my Remora. I have the 35L and have used it in Baja, LA, and Hawaii.
So far no problems and it is about 1 year old. The nice thing is unlike the hippo the Remora tows really well behind a boat and does not submarine. Also it no longer has the fragile latex bladder like the Hippo did.

The hippo is no longer made, the way to tell the difference is if there is a portion of the float that looks stitched up like a football.

To deflate I use a valve stem remover, a kit costs a few dollars at an automotive store.

It can be inflated to 1.5 bar which is about 22 lbs. The Riffe 2 atmosphere can be blown up to about 25 psi, the Riffe Torpedo 2 is 7.

The big thing with any of these pressurized floats is to not over inflate them. Most have room for error, but if over presurized and left in the sun in high heat things can get messy
Freediveshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

1 client came w one Remora and he had to buy me a Riffe cause after being inflate the float was very soft after few hours ...i would not say it would be same for all Remora but at least one was leaking on the 2 i ever meet yet.
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote