Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

View Poll Results: Best eating Gulf Fish?
Snapper 4 50.00%
Grouper 2 25.00%
Amber 0 0%
Ling 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2003, 08:03 PM   #1
Dive Daddy

Anyone seen any Whale Sharks this summer?

Seen 3 Whale Sharks in the Gulf over the years. I have seen them in the Mid Sept. to Mid Oct. range. I guess they are hangin' around the Gulf after the Coral Spawning at the Gardens???? Just hoping to see another this year! Usually a dozen or so Ling hangin with them.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:18 PM   #2
ROCK BOTTOM

The charter captains have been tearing up the yellowfin around the whale sharks off of the mouth of the Miss. Rv. They are looking for birds and busting fish. Apparently they have been seeing them on a daily basis. The tuna fall prey to live hardtails or by casting surface plugs to the footballs feeding on the surface.

Z
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:56 PM   #3
Dive Daddy

ROCK BOTTOM,
How far out are they seeing them? The ones I have seen have all been in the Matagorda to Port Aransas area about 30 to 45 miles out. One in particular, in 1991 or so, had a large rope (4" thick) around him and resting on his pectoral fins. Held the 5th Gill closed. We moved it off the Gills and we cut probably 2/3rds the way through befofe he finally left for good. We worked on cutting it for about an hour. We would cut a little (like cutting concrete) and he would take off and then return. I have seen a picture of one with a big scar around his head in the same place, probably the same one???? not sure, hope he got it off. Made me a little nervouse nailing a good Ling with a 30' buddy nearby.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:28 PM   #4
ROCK BOTTOM

They have been numerous from ten to seventy miles out of South Pass. They fishermen are actively searching for them to mark the schools of yellowfin.

We also get large numbers of Manta Rays during the colder months. I have seen these guys by the thousands. They launch themselves out of the water and create huge splashes.
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:02 PM   #5
firefrog

need to be keeping an eye out on the freeport librty ship complex and the V.A.Fogg. usually pass through every year this time(sept-oct), so i've been told!
firefrog is offline   Reply With Quote