Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
ZORORA

Question Limekiln

I will be camping at Limekiln with the fam in early October. I camped there quite a bit growing up, long before I got into diving but the water at limekiln was still intriguing and I have been dreaming of making it up there to check it out.
Has anyone done any diving there? Any tips? ( I know entry can be a bit crazy)
Being from San Diego, I imagine I will be among fish I am unfamiliar with, what should I expect?
Also, if anyone would like to join me for a dive there around the 10th-13th feel free to contact me.
ZORORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Limekiln

its a good spot , always check the sand chanels
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
ZORORA

Thanks Phil, I hadn't thought about that but happy to hear they're up there too. I was kind of expecting to hear something about types of rock fish. One reason I am looking for info is that I have only really become familiar with take limits on the fish I would see in SD. I'm not even sure what I will run into and I'd like to research that kind of thing before I get up there.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
slodiver

Haven't dove Limekiln yet, but have done at least 20 spearfishing trips to Cape San Martin and Jade Cove, both a few miles south of Limekiln. Lots of Cabezon, Lingcod, and rockfish. Kelprockfish in 10', blues, blacks, black and yellows, olives in 20' and reds in 40' of water. Bull kelp is good and thick some places. Jade Cove is a hike back up and you will have to use a rope to get down and up the bottom 10', but there are reefs out past the point and keep an eye out for jade while looking for lings. Willow Creek you can walk south along the rocks and swim out around the inside wash rock at Cape San Martin. 40+ on the outside, but I found a 33" ling on the inside a couple years ago.
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
YakAtak
Izabella's Dad

Send a message via Yahoo to YakAtak

Hey...it's not like you'd actually see something in those sand channels!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
jabafish

Dove LK lots years back with SJ Skindivers. You can get fish right around the corner to
to the south (water conds. permitting of course) mostly blues and olives.
Fish are pretty much all to the north along the big kelp beds with a favorite spot
just off the mouth of San Vicente ( or maybe just Vicente) creek. Dive it from a boat or
find the trail a couple hundred yards south of the bridge. Suit up on the road and sweat
it out as lots of the trail is poison oaked....or use a boat. Dove it from both and got
reds,olives,copper,olive and ling. One 4th of July my brother had a big WSB swim under
him in the kelp off Lucia. Didnt know they had reopened the campgrounds. Need to look
at my maps and clarify my info. More ?s? Ask away. Good luck JB
jabafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
ZORORA

Awesome, those are the two posts I was looking for, VERY helpful... No not you Al, I may actually have a chance up there since you have only slayed all the flatties down here.
The campground has been back open for a while but it was on the axe list to be closed with 70 other state parks on July first. The parks got a last minute save and are open for now. So go support your state parks.... Just try not to over over crowd Limekiln.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
huntinchip

I've dove there once with out any info on where exactly to head, so we just dove from the beach and headed north to the only kelp we saw at the time, we didn't see a thing, very poor viz due to sand, and very little structure, we just went out about 100-150 yards. We decided to jump in the truck and dive jade cove and recovered the day with some nice fish. Sounds like we may have just been in the wrong spot. Good luck and post a report.

Gianni
huntinchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
slodiver

May be able to join you on Saturday. Are you freediving? Are you diving out of a kayak, inflatable or shorediving? Have been wanting to go to Limekiln but was closed the times I previously attempted. Depending on your arrangements I might have alternatives. Jade hunting is rewarding, and you can check out holes at the same time.
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
riff
><>

Going to Limekiln this weekend.

Will be mostly top-fishing, but bringing dive gear if it's looking good.

Looking for Rockfish, Lingcod?, cabs
riff is offline   Reply With Quote