Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
andyready5

DIY Extension??

Has anyone tried to make an extension for their spear out of aircraft aluminum? I have a GatKu 7' for rockfish in AK and Taug/striper when I go home to Mass(RI for striper). Amazing spear, incredibly happy with it. Plus awesome customer service from Dustin.

We're making a trip out to Hawaii this summer and wanted to try my hand at hitting a mahi. Looks like people are using 10' plus for pelagics....is there an ideal length overall for Mahi?

I found this 1/2" 6601 aircraft aluminum to match my GatKu. http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2438-...-extruded.aspx
Would it be easier to get tubing instead to insert the threads? any advice for threading?

I'd like to create a 3-5' section I can place between the band end and the carbon-graphite end to use in blue water. Thanks for the help!
andyready5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
NateSmith
Wannabe

Send a message via AIM to NateSmith Send a message via Yahoo to NateSmith
Re: DIY Extension??

Call Dustin about it. He's probably got experience in that course and might have some good suggestions.

NateSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
andyready5

bump....hawaii trip is comming up and i need to extend!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
andyready5

Amazon.com: JBL 30" Extension for Travel Polespears: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: JBL 30" Extension for Travel Polespears: Sports & Outdoors

would this work?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

If you have an Alro metal store near you, they have everything that you could think of. Check out the website, I think its www.alro.com, but if not just doa search for alro metals. One thing you have to remember is, you dont want the joint or bump to hit your hand. The extension has to flow and also be strong and non flexible. If your rear aluminum piece is 5/8ths, use 5/8ths and something solid as a ferrule. Epoxy it in place, or if you cant because of travel, maybe threaded rod, and tap each end. Tap one, and epoxy the threaded rod in place, test fit it, and thread the other one, and make sure it is straight. If so take it apart and you can travel with it. Any hardware store carries threaded rod. Just make sure you grease it up and rinse it afterwards, or find stainless thread rod. Its out there.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

That link was for solid aluminum, you want tubing. That was only 1/2" also which is pretty small. For pelagics, you want thin , light and stiff, and as long as possible. I used a 12' in the Bahamas this last summer and that length is great. A little hard to move around, but it can be done. I felt it could even be longer.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote