Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #61
VinceC

Re: Jetski Spearfishing

I made a prototype rack mount for my ski today. Had a BC that has a leak in the bladder and cut out the plastic part and strap that the tank mounts into. Used that as the base and anti roll for the transom of the ski. I'm taking it to the Suwanee River and checking out my system in the springs. Obviously this will work with a full scuba setup as well. I say prototype because I'm going to make this so that it will carry two tanks and instead of using rubber bungees it will use a turnbuckle system like I use on my auxiliary tank. For some reason my profile doesn't have a pictures and albums link so I can't post a picture here. If you are interested and want to see pictures send me a PM with your email and I'll get them off to you.
VinceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #62
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Hey vince, text them to me and i can get them up for ya.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #63
VinceC

I'm getting PMs and of course here from John to send the pics to them and they'll post but I can't send them to you without a email address or something outside of this forum. I can't put attachments of pictures or any kind into a PM or thread post at all. Why? idk I can post on all the other forums no problem and most use this same software to run.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #64
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
I'm getting PMs and of course here from John to send the pics to them and they'll post but I can't send them to you without a email address or something outside of this forum. I can't put attachments of pictures or any kind into a PM or thread post at all. Why? idk I can post on all the other forums no problem and most use this same software to run.
If you want to send them to the email address in my sig line, I'll be glad to post them.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #65
toptuna

hey did any one of you guys leave a jet ski rod holder rack in the back of a red truck at shelter island. I came back from diving the islands and someone put it in the bed of my truck and no one was around. Shoot me a PM if you know of someoen missing it. It was made in NZ and goes for $650 NZ dollars.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #66
Bill McIntyre

Here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jet1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	181449   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	181450   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet3.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	181451  
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #67
VinceC

For anyone that wants to try this take note it is just a prototype. It is solid and safe in the current form. If I decide I'll really use it then I'll eliminate the rubber bungies and use flat hooks to the lip of the rub rail. The top will use a turnbuckle so that it can be pulled tight and solid. And of course I'll make it so that it is a two tank holder instead of single.

I think it will be very nice to do around the inland areas where I know there are fish but don't want to go to the hassle of running the boat out there.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #68
UaVaj

nice idea however. too too complicated. especially the two bungee to the rear strap down eye.

if anyone insisted on tanking off a pwc. simply install a set of roll control bracket to the rear of the pwc pad.

years ago - a buddy mount a set of roll control onto hs rxp. yes rxp. worked wonder n was very convenient for access. also looked professional too. too bad i do not have any pix.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #69
VinceC

Do you have a picture? Would like to see.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #70
UaVaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
Do you have a picture? Would like to see.
sorry no pic. so let me try to describe in better detail. do use a little imagination.

anyway just like your setup. tanks sits the same position with the bc already strapped on and with the regulator already mounted on. basically ready to dive.

now imagine two roll control bracket on the bottom of the tank preventing it from rolling. then each roll control has a bungee with an open clip on one end and with a retaining clip on the other end (so when u unclip the other end you can do not lose the bungee and can be left dangling). those two bugee straps the tank onto the bracket (which is bolted to the pwc) and that mates the tank onto the pwc as one. nothing bouncing around. nice n secure. even in rough seas.

as for keeping everything nicely package together. there is one bungee which wraps around the BC and all the hoses to keep it dangling around.

optional. instead. my buddy uses two bungee (one on each end) to strap his gun and his long fin dive bag (which included the long fin, mask, snorkel) parallel onto the bc/tank. totally hands free to the diving site.

most times at the ramp or at a the sand bar during a non diving outing. people would ask what are those mounts for (the roll control brackets without the retaining bungee). most think we were crazy to be diving off a pwc. they think we were crazier going ~10 miles off shore on a pwc. then again. during those days. a nice boat was not an option. we made use of what we had.

lastly if you are wondering why i did not have the same setup as my buddy? good question. i did not want to drill holes and permanent mount two roll control onto the back of my honda. much less all the questions at the ramp and sand bar. my gear were strapped down just like vinec. no matter how many bungee i used. constantly had to stop every 5 or so miles to readjust, especially in rougher seas (1-2' seas). at the end, had to replace the rear non skid foam, it was all tored up from the tank bouncing on it. as for my buddy. at the end, he simply remove the roll control, fill the holes with expoxy, put on a new non skid foam. both our end result (when we sold the pwc) were the same. he simply had a better and more secure setup for pwc scuba. if i ever had to do it again. i will drill holes and permanent mount two roll control.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #71
VinceC

I think I'm doing pretty close to the same thing except my roll control isn't fixed to the transom. This is a $14K ski and I'm not drilling holes into anything. The setup as you see it is for the hookah system. Just attach the hose and jump in. But in scuba mode the setup will accept the tank with BC and reg mounted up and ready to slip on. All you do is undo the buckle. Easy. Also the bungees will be eliminated entirely and replaced with a hook that goes to the lip of the transom with a SS rod to the roll control. The hook up to the tow eye has a turnbuckle to tighten and adjust. Just used the prototype version yesterday and it worked flawlessly.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #72
Qdiver911
"Q" is for Quahog!

Hey jet ski guys, a buddy of mine is looking for a used ski and wants to know WHICH ski to NOT buy.. He shopping for used and doesn't want get stuck with a POS he can't unload if it doesn't work. Any and all help is appreciated--
Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #73
kwtony
Snorkel Master

What all is he wanting to do with the ski, dive with it or use it as a toy???The Yamaha FX series is a great ski for rougher water. Dont buy anything older then 2008-09 and always check the compression first, test the rectifier, stator and know when pump bearings were replaced. Also, triple check on the condition of through hull fittings and the shoe pump condition. If it hasnt been replaced ever, theres a chance it wont float for an extended period on its own. I would actually fill the hull with 5 or 6 inches of water and see if it leaks anywhere on the outside of the ski. The bolts that hold the sponsons on can leak as well as well as the bolts that hold on the ride plate. You might have a tough time convincing the person who you are buying it from to do all these, but trust me when i say you dont want to find these out after the fact. I love yamahas because of their simplicity and their simple layout. Every seadoo ive ever worked on i wanted to sink shortly after
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #74
Qdiver911
"Q" is for Quahog!

Tony. Thanks. Can you PM me your #? May take a short hop down there and thought the fam would swing by to check out your place and rent a ski for a bit.. Cheers Teddy Oh
Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #75
VinceC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
What all is he wanting to do with the ski, dive with it or use it as a toy???The Yamaha FX series is a great ski for rougher water. Dont buy anything older then 2008-09 and always check the compression first, test the rectifier, stator and know when pump bearings were replaced. Also, triple check on the condition of through hull fittings and the shoe pump condition. If it hasnt been replaced ever, theres a chance it wont float for an extended period on its own. I would actually fill the hull with 5 or 6 inches of water and see if it leaks anywhere on the outside of the ski. The bolts that hold the sponsons on can leak as well as well as the bolts that hold on the ride plate. You might have a tough time convincing the person who you are buying it from to do all these, but trust me when i say you dont want to find these out after the fact. I love yamahas because of their simplicity and their simple layout. Every seadoo ive ever worked on i wanted to sink shortly after
You are dead on. And as a point of reference a fair price for a ski like kwtony describes with 100 hours or so is $7-7.5K with a trailer. A friend of mine just bought a '08 with 27 hours on it for $6,500 but he buys and sells all the time and got damn lucky with his. The only other ski to consider is maybe the Kawi LX naturally aspirated (don't do the 300 unless you want a lot of maintenance and fuel expense). Great fuel mileage, great in rough water and a ton of storage space.