Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #16
rob102

Re: Time for a new mask

Omer masks press against my forehead between my eyes and is very uncomfortable to the point of pain after a while. Years ago I bought several Omer masks just because of the low volume. Back then I was always pushing myself and discomfort wasn't a concern. These days comfort level and functionality are one in the same.

Besides just checking the seal when you try a mask, press it firmly to your face and check for discomfort from the frame. Even a little irritation is unacceptable. You will feel it every time you make a drop and it will get worse over time.
rob102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #17
Ren

I like this style mask. It's cheap and lasts a good while.

Some are produced in china by a number of manufacturers like Shenzhen Leeya Sporting Goods Co., Ltd. under the name M855 Freediving Mask or by Shenzhen Jianbao Mould & Plastic Co., Ltd under M308 and is sold in the states under different names and logos by different retailers.

These are essentially a copy of the technisub/aqualung micromask with cheaper materials (mask skirt is firmer and leaves an imprint on face after a couple hours).
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 PM   #18
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Love the comfort of the Mystic. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #19
Dannowar

Been loving my Seac L70
Dannowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #20
Ron S

I would classify my face as narrow, creased, and whatever the opposite of "ruggedly handsome" would be. For me, you just can't beat going into a dive shop that has a good selection of masks and trying a bunch on. The above recommendations might be very good, but every face is different and you won't get the best fit without trying a few on.
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #21
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

The best mask is the one that fits your face. Drop into our Long Beach store, we've got a whole bunch of masks you can check out and we'll be sure to take care of you.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #22
growingupninja
Lance

Lower volume masks nearly always offer better peripheral vision since the lenses are closer to your eyes (less black skirt). A mask with softer skirt usually costs more but will help with deeper diving and be more comfy assuming the mask fits right in the first place. Some of the extreme low volume masks are notoriously finicky as far as fit and comfort, but also many of those work better when worn looser than other masks. Once you dive the soft skirt will compress and seal tighter...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #23
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Beuchat Maxlux fits my narrow face, low volume, AND has a huge field of view compared to other low-volumes i've used - Samurai, Micromax, Nano, Chameleon, Alien, Snapper

comes in Small and Large too...
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:10 AM   #24
J.lata808

The Mako mini mask works great for freediving and spearfishing!From deep dives to just snorkeling. Its an excelant choice and the price is even better! Plus the guys at mako are great to work with. Thanks for another great product!!!
J.lata808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #25
sealark

I just bought a mares mask for 25$ new came in 3 days made in china. works great at 1/4 the price. Get one try it there are many styles. I also have one with go pro mount cost less than 20 bucks Search e-bay for a US dealer they will cost a few bucks more but will arrive in 3 or 4 days.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #26
sealark

Used the new mares mask yesterday made 3 dives. Before dive I used a bic lighter to burn the silicone off 3 times then tooth paste last was dawn soap. Crystal clear vision. Mask worked and fits perfect.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote