Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Fish4sale

Advice on spearfishing alone

So I've recently picked up spearfishing/freediving and absolutely love it. But I've been unable to find a buddy that can go as much as i do or who is at the same level. I volunteer at an aquarium and many of the experienced spearfishing guys say it's ok as long as I don't push it beyond my limit. As a result, I've been going alone.

I dive to a max depth of 30ft for about 45 seconds. I never hyperventilate and keep a surface time double of my dive time.

With all the information out there about blackouts, I am curious as to how many of you dive alone and what can be done to prevent blacking outs when diving alone?

I looked into the freediving courses and although i would like to go, it is a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Any input is welcomed. Thanks.
Fish4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

First and fore most u shouldn't dive alone but since you do I don't think there is a way to stop it just happens, u should make a will and get life insurance, or just find a buddy to your caliber to watch your back. Be safe dude !!
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
TueLePoisson
Sponsor

I used to dive alone some, then my GF put a stop to that! That being said, its actually a very serene experience, especially if you're far enough from land to hear nothing but the ocean; I really enjoyed it. If you're going to dive alone make sure you have all the proper safety gear, make sure someone knows where you will be and until what time, and lastly make sure you understand that diving alone increases the likelihood of something going wrong.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Diablo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4sale View Post
So I've recently picked up spearfishing/freediving and absolutely love it. But I've been unable to find a buddy that can go as much as i do or who is at the same level. I volunteer at an aquarium and many of the experienced spearfishing guys say it's ok as long as I don't push it beyond my limit. As a result, I've been going alone.

I dive to a max depth of 30ft for about 45 seconds. I never hyperventilate and keep a surface time double of my dive time.

With all the information out there about blackouts, I am curious as to how many of you dive alone and what can be done to prevent blacking outs when diving alone?

I looked into the freediving courses and although i would like to go, it is a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Any input is welcomed. Thanks.
Where do you live? What county and state?

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Fish4sale

I live in city of Torrance, Los Angeles.
Fish4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
speargunhunter
favorite speargun? Wong.

advice on spearfishing alone..Dont. find u a buddy.

For me there's only One Choice...."WONG".

www.wongguns.com
speargunhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
BleedtheGills
Lets go Dive

Sure you can find some ppl in PV to dive with. If you ever dive laguna let me know. I dove alone today and do it Quite often. Its peaceful and I feel no pressure to land a fish. I pulled the trigger once today and missed. But all in all there's nothin like exploring new spots. I think I have more fun alone. Unless it's on a boat. When I go with ppl were all spread out anyways...sure I feel more confident knowing someones in the water with me, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
BleedtheGills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
AndrewK

Id advise against it... Find a buddy even if its a friend that can just snorkel with you and keep an eye on ya.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
mepps1

I go out alone more often than not. In the kind of viz most of us hunt , a buddy is more likely for body recovery than for life saving. Hedge your bets any way you can. You might survive a mishap, but you probably will not survive panic.

Have fun. Be careful.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
fishstew

I am pretty new to spearfishing and although I try to dive with a buddy as often as I can, I only have one friend who likes to go with me so I also end up going alone sometimes. I live in Long Beach and I have been diving mostly in Laguna Beach but if you guys are looking for someone to dive with sometime send me a PM.
fishstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Joe.A
KayakFisherman

Increase your surface interval to 3 mins and concentrate on relaxing before the dive. You can't spend too much time on the surface relaxing.

I also carry a large insurance policy to put the kids through school. Never know when Jaws or a boat is going to ruin your weekend. It's not just SWB.
Joe.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
UaVaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
I go out alone more often than not. In the kind of viz most of us hunt , a buddy is more likely for body recovery than for life saving. Hedge your bets any way you can. You might survive a mishap, but you probably will not survive panic.

Have fun. Be careful.
Given the poor vis out of cali. That is no joke.

Just listen to your body. Regardless what is at the bottom. When it is time to breathe. Do NOT ignore it. Head straight for the surface and you will be fine.

Safe than sorry.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
2012iffy

Send a message via Yahoo to 2012iffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TueLePoisson View Post
I used to dive alone some, then my GF put a stop to that! That being said, its actually a very serene experience, especially if you're far enough from land to hear nothing but the ocean; I really enjoyed it. If you're going to dive alone make sure you have all the proper safety gear, make sure someone knows where you will be and until what time, and lastly make sure you understand that diving alone increases the likelihood of something going wrong.
Sorry, new guy here, but diving alone does NOT increase the likelihood of something going wrong, it only eliminates anyone there to help you when it does. Please don't do it and if you must, take out a reasonable insurance policy and I will forward the info you will need to put me as the beneficiary! I could use a new sailboat!
2012iffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Don't dive alone.... NO MATTER WHAT!!!! Find a local club or something. Take a class the soonest chance you get!!

PEace, Errol
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
Keysdivers

Don't know much about freedivers, but scuba spearos usually dive solo. Just because there are more than one diver on the boat does not constitute "buddy diving". We very seldom see the other guys/girls once we hit the water.