Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #2296
Mana'squal

Re: Daily Vis report thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstomouth View Post
Dove in the manasquan river yesterday, looked brown but diveable before going in, ended up being 5-7 ft ish maybe, saw some legal bass but couldn't get shots on em, gonna try again today if anyone wants to get in.

Also, did anyone hear about the dudes fishing Brielle railroad tracks area that got caught with 46 undersized striped bass? What idiots.
Yeah, I hope they crucify them. That's planned cuntery. A short bass is one thing, 45 more is felony worthy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:25 AM   #2297
basstomouth
David

Is everyone under their rock officially? Checked the manasquan river yesterday it might’ve actually been fecal matter. Oh and cold as sh*t. Anyone with a 7mil that wants to get in next time it’s clean feel free to ask.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:31 AM   #2298
jersymudsniper

I drove to bi last sat to get in one last time. I didnt even get changed. It was green baby poop vis. Prob pack my stuff away.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #2299
Ric

@David, It must be the non stop rain and all that run off water full of organics.
I am no marine biologist but I think that the water is too cold and opaque for phytoplankton to metabolize the organics and nutrients, so they will accumulate until the water warms up again, which may well produce a nasty algae bloom next summer.
You may say that artic water is cold too, yet phytoplankton has no trouble to thrive, yes but artic water is clear, not poop colored to block light as ours.

I went to Barnegat Inlet 2 weeks ago and watched the water from the jetty during the transition low tide to high tide. It went from brownish to greyish, but zero viz anyways.

I would go again next WE or the next, but in Barnegat inlet, not Manasquan inlet, because its a slightly shorter drive for me (still 2 hours) and an easy parking spot. And the jetty is easier to walk at Barnegat with nicely flat top. It looks like the engineers designed the Manasquan jetty specifically to break your legs, if you see what I mean.

I would go to Manasquan inlet if there were fish to hunt, but in that cold water we won't see any fishes, or only in the deepest spot. Diving deep in a 7 mm suit is no piece of cake, too much buoyancy. But for practice, I am ok to dive in near zero viz at Barnegat.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #2300
Mana'squal

SoonClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	241857
Old 03-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #2301
Ric

4-5 ft today at Barnegat Inlet just before high tide. Not the Caribbean, but not too bad right ? Good enough for Taugs, if there was any...

I got wet, saw nothing beside algea. Got some video too, not worth more than 1 minute but Anyways good practice to test body and gear.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #2302
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
4-5 ft today at Barnegat Inlet just before high tide. Not the Caribbean, but not too bad right ? Good enough for Taugs, if there was any...

I got wet, saw nothing beside algea. Got some video too, not worth more than 1 minute but Anyways good practice to test body and gear.

How was the temp? You last long?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #2303
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
How was the temp? You last long?
cold, but I don't have a watch with thermometer so I can't tell you exactly.
I don't feel the cold in my 5mm open suit mako. It feels plenty warm in the body, but the problem is the extremities, Feet and fingers. After 45 mm the cold settle in the fingers and it starts to hurt. So I got out after 50-60 minutes.
I could have stayed a big longer but I had no incentive to stay, beside practicing free diving, which is valuable in itself, but it helps to see at least a crab or a mussel. Otherwise if was a quiet sea, no wind no waves and we want to be ready for April right ?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #2304
Ric

here https://youtu.be/Pl9XBL4HKy8

Very similar to last year 2018, maybe a bit worse. Very difficult to white balance with the red filter but necessary IMO otherwise there wouldn't be any color but green passed 8ft. Sometimes it's all blue, sometimes all red, there nothing I can do since the camera adjust automatically with a red filter on.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #2305
Mana'squal

Quote:
here https://youtu.be/Pl9XBL4HKy8

Very similar to last year 2018, maybe a bit worse. Very difficult to white balance with the red filter but necessary IMO otherwise there wouldn't be any color but green passed 8ft. Sometimes it's all blue, sometimes all red, there nothing I can do since the camera adjust automatically with a red filter on.

Do you color balance with a video editor? If you use white wishbones you can select them for white balance when you’re on a drop and it’ll clear up some of the color balance issues.

Not perfect but it helps.

That’s what I did with the below and really happy with the colors in the video. Vis was 12ft though so that helps obviously.

https://youtu.be/u2ZjZ_zEoPE
Old 03-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #2306
Ric

Quote:
Do you color balance with a video editor? If you use white wishbones you can select them for white balance when you’re on a drop and it’ll clear up some of the color balance issues.

Not perfect but it helps.

That’s what I did with the below and really happy with the colors in the video. Vis was 12ft though so that helps obviously.

https://youtu.be/u2ZjZ_zEoPE
Great job! your video is very pleasant to watch and it's fun to look at dudes having fun. I notice at the end that your white balance at the surface is almost perfect, your camera does a great job.
Is it a session ?

To your question, I usually use GoproStudio to edit, I pick a white patch on my gloves, or on the stringband or sometimes just on the sand. I know I should put a white patch on the tip of my gun to white balance better, but I don't want to scare whatever is at the other end on my gun.
Plus, imagine on the videos how distracting it would be to have a white patch constantly moving in the field of view.
And I have to use a red filter otherwise everything is green, good vis or bad vis. The filter degrades a bit the image resolution by the way. So the deal is crisper and fluid picture, because I can shoot at 60fps without filter, but with NO color, OR more color, but a darker and slightly more blurry image. Perhaps upgrading to a session 5 would help. I don't think they make session 6 or 7 with the same shape that could fit in the divecase.
I am sure a session5 would white balance better and faster. And I may even be able to shoot in 60fps because it's more sensitive. But hey, it's new jersey 5 ft viz with nothing to show anyways in March.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #2307
Mana'squal

Quote:
Great job! your video is very pleasant to watch and it's fun to look at dudes having fun. I notice at the end that your white balance at the surface is almost perfect, your camera does a great job.

Is it a session ?

To your question, I usually use GoproStudio to edit, I pick a white patch on my gloves, or on the stringband or sometimes just on the sand. I know I should put a white patch on the tip of my gun to white balance better, but I don't want to scare whatever is at the other end on my gun.

Plus, imagine on the videos how distracting it would be to have a white patch constantly moving in the field of view.

And I have to use a red filter otherwise everything is green, good vis or bad vis. The filter degrades a bit the image resolution by the way. So the deal is crisper and fluid picture, because I can shoot at 60fps without filter, but with NO color, OR more color, but a darker and slightly more blurry image. Perhaps upgrading to a session 5 would help. I don't think they make session 6 or 7 with the same shape that could fit in the divecase.

I am sure a session5 would white balance better and faster. And I may even be able to shoot in 60fps because it's more sensitive. But hey, it's new jersey 5 ft viz with nothing to show anyways in March.

That’s actually with a silver 3. The one where the balance on the surface looks good it because I didn’t have to correct much as we were diving super shallow. Less then 10 feet.

That was a great time that was the kids first fish on a speargun awesome to get it on video like that.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #2308
Ric

Quote:
That’s actually with a silver 3. The one where the balance on the surface looks good it because I didn’t have to correct much as we were diving super shallow. Less then 10 feet.

That was a great time that was the kids first fish on a speargun awesome to get it on video like that.
The silver 3 was my first gopro and I lost it in the inlet. I consider it superior to the session4.
The medium field in particular is much better and flatter in the silver3 than the session. And it came with a case...
Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #2309
jersymudsniper

Quote:
cold, but I don't have a watch with thermometer so I can't tell you exactly.
Ask mako for a bro deal on a ocianic f10. Check deep in the holes early season. They arnt out swimming around.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #2310
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
Ask mako for a bro deal on a ocianic f10. Check deep in the holes early season. They arnt out swimming around.
How are you jersy? Ready to go ? True what you said.

My local swimming pool is 9 ft deep and at that depth I don't feel any pressure in my sinuses nor the need to equalize. But that's soft water, sea water is heavier.'Swallowing' is usually all I need in the 10-15ft range and I start to feel pressure in my sinuses at 10-12ft.
That's how I measure my depth. That and the light. It's not very precise but it tells me I wasn't deeper than 18ft Tuesday.
I wasn't heavy enough either, so I had to quick hard to go down and stay down. I need some practice for sure. The 5mm mako suit I have gives me lots of buoyancy. I may be back this WE but it's gonna be low tide, aka bad viz. But as you said you got to go where they are.