Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
straycat
straycat

Question Best pole spear??

Whats the best pole spear/tip for Bahamas spearing of big hog fish and grouper.
Looking for advise.
Thanks
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
SweetD

Re: Best pole spear??

I would look at something like the Keller or Crist. Those are 3/4" OD aluminum tubing and are very durable. Slip tips if you're going after grouper. I would not recommend any carbon fiber stick like the Riffe or Sea Stinger. I have a Keller and they are the real deal if don't want to worry about breaking gear.

I snapped my Riffe a few weeks ago there on a 20# grouper which we did land. Love shooting the Riffe but unless you use a break away tip for bigger fish, you run the risk of a snapped front section when they hole up even when using a slip tip. Still surprised the Riffe front section snapped on a 20# grouper. That's why I wouldn't recommend one if you plan to shoot grouper.
SweetD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
straycat
straycat

I have been looking at the LINGHUNT polespear, any feed back on htis one?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
SweetD

I have heard of Linghunt before but I haven't heard any feedback on the pole spear. It looks pretty nice and made out of aluminum. The one I saw, in my opinion, it's a little on the shorter side at 6' but you can get a 2 or 3' shaft for the tip. How much are these going for?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
straycat
straycat

You can add sections to make it as long as you want..... quoted $120 without tip
Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
SweetD

Looks like a pretty sweet rig and hard to argue with the price/warranty. I tried to get the front section on my Riffe fixed/replaced and they laughed at me. That section alone was $100. Don't get me wrong, the Riffe is nice until you shoot something with any size then you have to hope it doesn't break. A lot of the vids on YouTube where they are shooting bigger stuff most of the time have breakaway setups.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Kraken
I am the sea

If you haven't done it already A quick scroll through the polespear section will give you some good insight on some of the pros and cons of popular brands. Each polespear has it's perks but it's always nice to have plenty of back ups and options, especially if you're going to be over in he bahamas for more than a day or two. Nothing would suck more than to spend all that time and money on a trip and you only take one polespear that breaks or is lost on the first day! I still haven't found a polespear that can do EVERYTHING, but you can be sure my quiver will always have a riffe, lance Ohara and a headhunter and I can then choose the best spear for the situation I'm in.

Here are a few threads that break down some of the top polespear brands
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=170311
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=168128
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=119805
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=168975

Spearheads Spearfishing Episodes!
http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:03 AM   #8
AdamAquatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Each polespear has it's perks but it's always nice to have plenty of back ups and options, especially if you're going to be over in he bahamas for more than a day or two. Nothing would suck more than to spend all that time and money on a trip and you only take one polespear that breaks or is lost on the first day!
That's pretty much the best advice you're going to hear. I can't count how many times I've heard someone complain because they didn't bring any backup bits for their pole spears.

Beyond that, you really need to read through the forum. Be realistic with your purchase. A lot of people see videos and expect to nail fish one after the other, but in reality, it rarely happens like that.
AdamAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #9
SweetD

That is really good advice. Nothing would suck more than busted gear on a trip like that. Any pole spear is gonna have something that will break/bend, just try to be prepared the best you can.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
BUDS89

Ray Oder is the Bahama man. Google him and his shop. Great prices mil spec heavy duty spears and tips.
BUDS89 is offline   Reply With Quote