Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
270Win

Newby to SoCal

Hey guys, I just moved to LA from the East Coast (Florida) for a job, and man do I feel out of my element. I am an avid hunter and was used to driving 30min to my favorite hunting spot after work -- which is definitely not going to happen out here. So long story short, I figure spearfishing could fill that little outdoor/sporting hole in my heart and good locations can be found close to home. I used to do a little freediving back home, but could definitely use some pointers. First off with which size gun to get. I'd probably be diving kelp forests in palos verdes so I could get the occasional WSB. Would I be looking in the 90-110cm for this or larger? I've spent a good time reading these boards before posting and from all the positive feedback it seems like a MAKO would be a solid choice -- possibly the mako iconic pro. Any experience with this gun? I have allot more questions, but I'll keep it at these two for now.
270Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Dark Innovation

Re: Newby to SoCal

Welcome to the board. You do know that there is alot of good hunting out in good old Cali. As for size for a gun i would go with something in the 100 to 110cm if you plan on hitting a few WSB, just make sure you have a reel or floatline. Mako make a very good product for the price, i never really hear any bad reviews for the guns.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
bearclaw
Shaft slinger

Where in LA?

There is tons of National Forest within a relatively ok drive from LA pretty easily. The hunting isn't world class, nor is it tree stand stuff for the most part as these pacific hybrids are not consistent like the whitey's back east, but they die everyday not far from anywhere in LA.

I would start with a 90cm gun and slay the rock fish and learn the kelp. It freaks many folks out when they are purposefully diving in a fishing net...

Good luck!
bearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
270Win

Yah I've been doing some research in the area, and I think I'll probably try for some quail in the Angeles National Forest or ducks down in San Jacinto this year. Still looking for a place for turkeys. I'll have to hold off on the larger game until I get myself a bigger freezer (small apartment). And thanks for the advice guys. I live in Culver City, and it seems like heading South to PV would be my best bet. Would you agree? And yah I've been reading allot of articles about freedivers that never made it home after getting caught in the kelp. Definitely need to respect that. Also I know one gun won't do everything, but say I picked up a 90 or 100cm with twin 16mm bands and felt like trying for some halibut. Would using one band still beat my tip up too bad? I have no idea how much power each band puts into the shaft.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Dark Innovation

One band wont mess up your tip that bad but it doesn't matter if you hit the rocks just file down the tip and you will be good to go. I got a 100cm for my first gun, but i started out with a polespear for a few years. The 100cm was kinda long for reef hunting but for the kelp it was very good.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
laguna80
El Capitan

I'm down for going out and taking some footage on the weekends. I'm up in claremont now for school but I'll go to my brothers house in Redondo on the weekends. Send me a pm.
laguna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
sdDive

I live in culver city, you can go to either PV or Malibu within 30 mins. PV has some nasty hills, but bettter viz usually than the bu. Bu has easy access, but the viz is bad most of the times. as for the gun, I would get a dirty water shorty and one big one for the wsb/yt/dodo.
sdDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
270Win

Thanks guys! Wound up picking up a 110cm mako predator pro. I realize its probably a little on the long side for slaying rockfish, but from what I've read on these boards it should be great in the kelp. Can't wait for my gun to get here... If its not here by this weekend I'll probably do a scouting trip to find a place for the following weekend.