Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
Les Sage

Ouachita, Arkansas info

Getting ready for the Arkansas SF season to open...finally!

I was thinking I would like to try SF at Ouachita Lake this year. I've never dove there, so I am completely ignorant regarding where to dive, where to stay, etc.

I'm assuming that the best vis is closer to the dam like most lakes, but any information regarding where to spearfish (part of lake, not any specific hotspot)) and where to stay would be appreciated.

I will be targeting Walleye and Stripers while freediving.

Thanks

Les
Old 06-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
outlaw-outdoors
Bass Master

Re: Ouachita, Arkansas info

It's all good in regards to what part. Further up lower viz but less pressured and dumber lol. Most of the time you would be crystal springs and down

Pneumatic Gun Repair: arduckaholic@gmail.com Fast turn around!!
outlaw-outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
9x19MdM

This past Sunday my son went out for a little while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled_2014-09-20_13-40-09_176[1].jpg
Views:	210
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	211017  
9x19MdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Birdman

Nice. Those cats flip out when shot, good eatin too.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
9x19MdM

10/26/14 - day trip
1pm - 6pm

Water temp:
Surface - 72.3
20' to 35' - 69

Viz:
4' - 12'
Pretty dark below 35'
some algae (pond scum type) floating on the surface near the shore.

Surface conditions went from glass to choppy in a couple of hours.

Lake level is so low, some of the boat ramps are closed.

I tried out the almost new Spetton wetsuit I bought from a member here. It's amazing how much those things stretch, but the tight fit really does help fight the cold with out adding the bulk of a traditional (scuba) wetsuit. Suave Conditioner seems to work pretty well.

The 1st spot, just a little east of Mtn. Harbor/Joplin wasn't too productive. Number 1 son took 1 nice bass. The wife missed a couple, but did good handling her gun. I didn't see anything worth shooting.

Spot #2 was about halfway between Joplin and Brady, was more exposed to the wind, but had better viz and more targets.
I took a nice bass just seconds after hitting the water (had not even pulled the 1st band back when I saw it. I then took a nice drum (this fillet is going to be used to make Goan Fish curry ) I saw my first striper and took the shot, but it tore through and the fish disappeared into the murk. Spotted a nice cat hanging out on a tree trunk, took the shot and he dove for the bottom. The line wrapped around limbs and the shaft hung on other limbs. By the time I worked my way down the line, all I found a was a cloud of silt. One more bass on the stringer and this trip was done.
9x19MdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Les Sage

Sounds like you had fun!

I never did make it down to Q, but took a trip to Pensecola, FL instead. Did lots of diving, but no SF. We had a trip planned on the huge aircraft carrier, but the weather didn't cooperate and the charter canceled the trip.

I've have to make at least one more trip to Bull Shoals Lake to winterize my RV. Hope to shoot a few more Walleye for the freezer.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
SharkBait007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Sage View Post
Sounds like you had fun!

I never did make it down to Q, but took a trip to Pensecola, FL instead. Did lots of diving, but no SF. We had a trip planned on the huge aircraft carrier, but the weather didn't cooperate and the charter canceled the trip.

I've have to make at least one more trip to Bull Shoals Lake to winterize my RV. Hope to shoot a few more Walleye for the freezer.
Hey Les, long time no talk. What charter did you use down in Pensacola? Diving the O is a great dive; however, you really would want to spear out there right now since AJ season got closed, although a cobia might come by every now and then. I am going to be coming up to BS again next summer and hopefully we can meet up and do some freediving for some walleye.
SharkBait007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Les Sage

There were 3 shops in the area doing trips to the Oriskiny (sp). They all canceled due to wind. There is also a brand new freediving/spearfishing shop in the Gulf Shores area.