Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
nikko
Nick

looking for new wetsuit

I have had the same cressi technica 7mm wetsuit for 10 years. I have dove 3 years in humboldt county for abalone, lings, etc, 3 years in alaska for salmon, halibut, etc. and 4 years in slo. This thing has been durable as can be but i think its time for something a bit more comfy. I love the suit for its durability but i think it does constrain my breath hold a bit. I am lookng now for a nice flexible comfy suit. i mostly only bug dive around SB at this point with some big sur diving, so I may go with a 5mm? So i am looking for recommendations on open cell freedive suit make/ model and even 7mm vs 5mm. I was told the Pathos is a great suit? Sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot it seemed relevant to cali guys. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: looking for new wetsuit

...Like you, I keep my suits for years...until I realized it was so stiff, I was exhausted by the time I could get it on!...Off the rack suits or online ordering can give good deals, but, turn into a bad deal if there are too loose spots (cold water down the neck) or too tight, (restricting breath hold time). All my suits, both commercial and sport are custom made with tape measurements made in the shop. Costs more, but, worth the good fit..
...In our area, I only go to M&B Wetsuits, which have made my suits for many years. Don buys good quality Yamamoto rubber which stretches well and keeps me warm. He has lots of colors, including camo and lots of choices, insofar as pockets, knee patches, gun pads, etc..
With marine weather predicted to going back to normal temps currently, I would opt for a warmer farmer john suit with attached hood and keep the old bottoms for warm water diving..
...The new generation of divers may well have a better solution and better advice...I can only state what has worked well for me over many years...Good luck
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
Castor

For years I have been using Mako wetsuits and love ‘em. They’re made with Yamamoto rubber and have the ultra stretchy buttery feelthat is warm and comfy in the water. I use a 5 mil year round and stay plenty warm. It is a great suit at any price but at half the price of other suits they will have my business for years to come.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
skydivestarr

I love my Mako 5mm. Super stretchy and still durable. Going on my third season and still holding up with no rips. My favorite feature is the knife pocket. It makes the knife snagless and streamlined so less drag. You never have to worry about knife straps breaking or your knife getting snagged on kelp or your shooting line.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
skydivestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
Justice Jonez

Mako for sure. Knife pocket plus great quality/stretchy Yamamoto neoprene plus the unbeatable price makes it a my go to. I like their camo print/design more than almost all other brand as well. Had mine for over 3 years and hundreds of shore dives. Plenty of rips have occured as well from reef rash/ digging and divin in caves n crevices for bugs, but a lil wetsuit repair is an easy fix.
Justice Jonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
nilsonov

What kind of knife do you put in that dive pocket? Never made sense to me how it can be easy to access with a loose sheath floating around.
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
Justice Jonez

The sheath of any cheap flat back spearfishing knife ,about "8 or under I believe, fits in the pocket perfectly snug. I honestly prefer the extremely cost effective Dexter Net Knife. You can get em for under 20 or sometimes under 15 bucks online, they are high vis yellow, have a hole in the handle for bungee cord, and fit perfectly in the Mako knife pouch. I can reach the knife and access it with my left hand in the event my right arm is inoperable for any reason. Cheap walmart knives fit as well if ya cut the belt clip off to make it flat on the backside. One simple pullback of the top portion of the knife pocket material and boom, ya pull the knife out. Put knife back in gently with out mangling up your suit and boom, slip that top portion back over the top of the knife handle. Secured and no tangles.
Justice Jonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #8
nikko
Nick

Thanks for all the replies it sounds like mako for the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydivestarr View Post
I love my Mako 5mm. Super stretchy and still durable. Going on my third season and still holding up with no rips. My favorite feature is the knife pocket. It makes the knife snagless and streamlined so less drag. You never have to worry about knife straps breaking or your knife getting snagged on kelp or your shooting line.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Still deciding on 7 vs 5mm. I live in slo and dive gaviota to big sur.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #9
Catchncook

Elios sub custom suits for life! They are less money and are literally tailored to you. Camouflage prints are awesome and they come in a wide variety of thicknesses and are super flexible, well built and warm! I will never rock any other suit... but that's my two cents! https://www.eliossub.com/en/
Catchncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #10
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Nikko,

The dive range you mentioned is also my stretch. Hard to say what thickness you should go with. Nice to have a 5mm for the summer and island diving but the 7mm for big sur during the winter. The last couple years I’ve just been rocking the 7mm and letting some water in if/when I overheat. Really depends on if you get cold easy, everybody is different.

My next suit will be a custom, as others advised.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
dctrjayyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchncook View Post
Elios sub custom suits for life! They are less money and are literally tailored to you. Camouflage prints are awesome and they come in a wide variety of thicknesses and are super flexible, well built and warm! I will never rock any other suit... but that's my two cents! https://www.eliossub.com/en/
How much do they run?
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #12
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_Lovin' View Post
Nikko,

The dive range you mentioned is also my stretch. Hard to say what thickness you should go with. Nice to have a 5mm for the summer and island diving but the 7mm for big sur during the winter. The last couple years I’ve just been rocking the 7mm and letting some water in if/when I overheat. Really depends on if you get cold easy, everybody is different.

I wouldn't be surprized if your 7mm is now a 5mm, with time and "exposure" ALL neoprene shrinks and looses a % of it's stretch.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #13
Pcat

Contact Jethro at Blue Water Hunter in Santa Barbara. Closest shop to you and he’ll know what suit you’ll need. Good luck.
Pcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #14
nikko
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_Lovin' View Post
Nikko,

solid advice thank you!
Old 10-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #15
nikko
Nick

THanks for all the advice, recommendatons , etc. I decided to go with the mako 3d 7mm suit mostly bc of the recommendatons here and my research and the price point. Ill give it a true test and hope it pans out.