Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
jfjf

Springs video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRCsDiojMUc

Some snorkeling in blue springs and ginnie. Shot on a 2 day camping trip with mom and the boys. I used a hero 4 and the MAKO tray system and a pair of their wide angle video lights.

One scene shows my son holding a small flash light. That is the new mako dive light which is very bright and focused. The new light is awesome and uses one rechargeable battery. Super bright and better than the previous model.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRCsDiojMUc

Last edited by jfjf; 03-21-2018 at 06:53 PM.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: Springs video

Nobody liked the walking on water clip. at least?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Honestly? Ill answer....you take video of people "freediving" in an overhead environment i.e. cave/tunnel with no fins and see nothing wrong with that?

Everything about the circumstances and video was irresponsible. People die in those springs every year with the proper training and equipment and you post a video in public forum which should be used in a training class to show people what NOT to do.

I really wish people would think about the big picture more when they make videos and post on the innerwebs. How would you feel if a young kid saw the video and challenged himself to try and accomplish the same feat and then died? Remember this is a public forum where anyone can view anything.

Just think about it for a few minutes. Life isn't all about subscribers and likes

2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #4
jfjf

Diving under stuff makes it more challenging and less safe diving - no doubt.

We try to watch each other and keep track of bottom time. Two of the 4 scuba deaths I've witnessed were associated with caves, so I do have a good degree of apprehension about it.

The distinction between "safe" fun and irresponsible activities is a somewhat fuzzy line in my mind.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
....I really wish people would think about the big picture more when they make videos and post on the innerwebs.
Spearfishing is not "safe", solo diving is not "safe", shooting cobias off of bulls is not "safe", diving deep on air is not "safe" (deep diving is not "safe" for that matter). Yet you see those videos all the time on this site.

We each define our level of "safe" and then live with the consequences of those actions.

I free dive wrecks whenever I get the chance, betting that is not safe either.

BTW, I did think the walking on water was cool.

(FWIW, I am also full cave certified)
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Pipe down nervous Nancy...I've freedove those same 'caves', if that's what you want to call them. This was rather benign and not considered unsafe for someone with decent freediving skills, as his kid displayed. I could tell from his ascents out of the cave that he wasn't pushing himself.
I used to love freediving down to the grate in Ginney when there were scuba divers with every option strapped to themselves. I'd go down and hang out with them with just my mask, snorkel, fins. They'd shine their light on me like I was the most interesting thing down there. I also very much enjoyed hanging out on the ceiling watching all their bubbles cascade/fall up the ceiling.
I've had some great times at that campground on July 4th...all the UF hotties from Gainsville, tubing down the river with my cooler and music, playing drunk volley ball late at night under the lights, watching the excellent fireworks show they put on....good times.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

GR Tarr told me a story once about how was vacationing on an island somewhere and at about 100 feet on the bottom was an aircraft fuselage. Divers would explore it on scuba. He said he got the biggest kick out of freediving it and swimming through while all these divers watched in awe.
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:16 PM   #8
Surface Tension

Cool video and music jfjf. I swear i thought i saw some lobster tentacles a couple of times.
Surface Tension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:03 AM   #9
danvolker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Nobody liked the walking on water clip. at least?
Good video. Makes me consider going back to the springs again...Haven't been for over a decade.
danvolker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Makes me definitely want to go back to the springs to play. Have not done it in many years. Thanks Jim, great video. And it does make me realize I need to work on and sharpen my free diving skills a bit.

So irresponsible LOL
Old 02-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
jfjf

Thanks guys..