Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
fin
Team PoloSub

aqua culture, what do you know about it?

Just wondering if anyone is suffering from the same paranoia I am in regards to aqua culture?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaculture
http://aquaculture2007.noaa.gov/pdf/...cts_june07.pdf
http://aquaculture.noaa.gov/
http://www.agriseek.com/news/NW/Aqua...quaculture.php

just wondering?

Last edited by fin; 02-27-2009 at 02:28 AM.
fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Atmosphere
Ryan Z.

You expect me to read all that? Cliff notes, I needs them. And why would you be paranoid about aquaculture?
Atmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Seacidal

Re: aqua culture, what do you know about it?

Coming soon to a state near you!

http://oregonstate.edu/conferences/a...008/index.html

Remember, this isn't simply a state issue. Efforts at the federal level are also necessary.

Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
fin
Team PoloSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
You expect me to read all that? Cliff notes, I needs them. And why would you be paranoid about aquaculture?
This is just an opinion but it would seem that if you eliminated independent fisheries by limiting access who ever has the largest vested interest in farming fish would stand to gain a lot of money and control. Which in turn makes me question the motives of the people pushing for closures.

another interesting fact on a global level is that china has been out sourced to handle most of this farming.
Im not sure if this is common knowledge or not it is just all new to me.

As a spearo
I live live and hunt by a code of ethics.
There are very few times when I purchase seafood. If I do it is fresh off the boat and locally harvested.
I am a advocate of green living and have a farm to table approach for 99% of all meals.
Buying local and obtaining my own food allows me to be proactive in my conservation efforts, and contribute to my local economy.
Whether walking the beach, teaching ocean kayaking, hiking, or spearfishing
I follow the guidelines of leaving it better then i found it, while always educating others to do the same.
By packing out trash ,being selective, and limiting my take of fish I give back to the areas that I enjoy so that future generations will have the same opportunities.
My question is if 75% of my local population lives by half of these guidelines,
why is government interference necessary in my region.
Ill answer my own question here,
Because they want to exploit our reserves of fish stock, agriculture, and water resources in the same manner they have with oil.
Someone somewhere is cashing in as I type.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Aquacutlure is GREAT! The only problem is that the united states is relatively new to it, and WAY behind in the game. The people who are getting started are making it big, because there is little to no competition. Look into Aquaculture with Hydroponic gardens. About the coolest, most sustaiable, thing possible. The fact of the matter is that the vast majorities of our plantets fisheries have already collapsed, or are on the verge of collapse. The more we can shut down commercial fishing the better. More and bigger fish for us.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
fin
Team PoloSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh View Post
Aquacutlure is GREAT! The only problem is that the united states is relatively new to it, and WAY behind in the game. The people who are getting started are making it big, because there is little to no competition. Look into Aquaculture with Hydroponic gardens. About the coolest, most sustaiable, thing possible. The fact of the matter is that the vast majorities of our plantets fisheries have already collapsed, or are on the verge of collapse. The more we can shut down commercial fishing the better. More and bigger fish for us.
That is easy for you to say when its not your beach or ocean that is being closed.
If there is no fishing it wont matter how big they get you and I will never taste them.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
NavyFreeDiver

Just look at the world's appetite for seafood. At some point we will exceed the resources sustainability. I am certainly not a sea kitten hugger but we need to responsibly manage the overwhelming demand and aquaculture is a way to do it. Obviously it is rife with danger but hopefully the learning curve will be steep and any damage minimal.
NavyFreeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
fin
Team PoloSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyFreeDiver View Post
Just look at the world's appetite for seafood. At some point we will exceed the resources sustainability. I am certainly not a sea kitten hugger but we need to responsibly manage the overwhelming demand and aquaculture is a way to do it. Obviously it is rife with danger but hopefully the learning curve will be steep and any damage minimal.
I agree with the need for proper management but if the internal corruption of these proceedings is obvious to me after one day it must be worse then I can imagine. I doubt the governments desire for absolute control of world resources will care about the learning curve. The information and educational system has been designed to perpetuate fear of global catastrophe and exhausted resources, and then we are pitched a bone of savior in the form of
short term, inferior, solutions, while they rake in the cash.
The real long term solution is proper global education.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
H2Ockey1
UW HOCKEY PLAYER

Fin, i'm not sure what you would rather see, but aquaculter *should* be the only reasonable solution to global food needs. The problem like so many things is proper management due to human greed and profit margins and blah blah blah type of issues.

To think about, would anyone seriously consider hunting/gathering as a sustainable means to feed the world from land based animals/plants? Can you imagine how ludicris it would sound if someone were to honestly suggest harvesting wild herd animals the way we do any ocean species for comercial markets?

The problem is in implementation. As you are pointing out the commerce side of it is full of issues, due to the political powers and status quo of commercial fishing, and the "cheapness" of outsourcing to china et al. As big an issue is the mismanagement of the process itself. Farmed salmon for instance has generally a higher concentration of mercury and other toxins than wild caught. OK so rather than fix that (which would reduce profit margins to a point normal commercial fishing is a more ecconomical answer) we have a strange topic that has both sides of the political aisle on the same side. Right wing has issues with upsetting the commercial industry and putting hard working americans out of work/buisness (and wild tastes better) and left wingers have issue with the pollution and toxins.

If done right aquaculture is the only way to sustain a future in seafood for the planet. Getting it done right??? I know its possible, BUT its not easy.
H2Ockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
So Cal Shaggy
Lifetime newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh View Post
One of the biggest problems with aquaculture is that on the massive scale we have been trying to use the long term advantages and disadvantages have not yet been studied long enough. As it is currently from the short term studies we have so far here in the US any aquaculture facility set up in a shallow (anything less than 50') bay or harbor destroys the ecosystem in that area from elevated waste byproducts from too many fish in a small area. There are some experimental open ocean farms being studied currently in the deep Atlantic but it is too soon to know if these will be a successful and sustainable option. The US needs to stop trying to feed the world and worry about the problems we have within our own country.
Founding member of Watermens alliance
http://www.watermensalliance.com/links.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sav...7411340?ref=mf

People with integrity do the right thing ~ Not because they think it will change the world ~

But because they refuse to be changed by the world .
So Cal Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
ApneaAddict

Fin: I admire your efforts to live more sustainably and I think its a nice thought that 75% of your community is like you, but, if by community, you meant Santa Barbara... I wish you were right, but doubt that anywhere near 75% of your community is living and sustainably as you are.

As far as aquaculture, my concern is less about government intervention and greed and instead about the soundness of the technique more fundamentally. There are some forms of aquaculture that have potential to provide valuable protein to many places of the world and do so in very sustainable ways, but in the industrialized, globalized, large-scale direction in which it seems aquaculture is heading, my feeling is that it will cause the world and the environment more harm then good. People have a demand for predatory fish. Although some are satisfied eating talapia and other plant-eating fishes, that is not good enough for many, particularly those in industrialized nations. And, as you move up the tiers of the tropic ladder, you get a return of 1/10 of your input on average (it takes 10 pounds of bait fish to produce 1 pound of tuna). As someone else said, global fish stocks are crashing due to over exploitation. How, then is the solution to that problem to just fish down the ladder (further decimating top predators who will no longer have prey to consume) and then take all of that fish protein and divide it by 10 to produce farmed salmon? There is that massive loss of energy, not to mention the loss of energy resulting from the need to not only fish (fossil fuel burning), but also now to grow (fossil fuel burning) and to ship (fossil fuel burning)... its just a broken way of doing things. Globalization is a dangerous thing, but once done, it can't really be undone, we just need to limit the expansion of additional industries into the global market and fishing is already too international for my liking, I don't want my children to live in a world where the only kind of white seabass you can get has a "made in china" sticker on it...

(Not to mention the toxins, pollution and irresponsible overuse of antibiotics associated with aquaculture...)

If we're going to implement it, it needs to be done right and right now, that is not looking like the direction its heading...
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
fin
Team PoloSub

Not to mention the inevitability of the use of GE fish.

sorry for the rants unemployment is boring.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
Urchin_Diver

aquaculture sucks ass!
its very detrimental to the environment. Im sure southeast asia, chile and other parts of the world that farm alot of fish have a very good health code. NOT

Farming atlantic salmon in B.C. and Chile has devastated their local marine ecosystems with sea lice and salmon ISA, an infectious salmon disease.

I'd rather support locally harvested seafood from hardworking fishermen that fish in sustainable/responsible methods.

One of our fish buyers for halibut actually recently stopped buying as much local halibut because he was buying farm raised from Korea

I dont expect people from Wisconsin to understand this
Urchin_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
fin
Team PoloSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin_Diver View Post
aquaculture sucks ass!
its very detrimental to the environment. Im sure southeast asia, chile and other parts of the world that farm alot of fish have a very good health code. NOT

Farming atlantic salmon in B.C. and Chile has devastated their local marine ecosystems with sea lice and salmon ISA, an infectious salmon disease.

I'd rather support locally harvested seafood from hardworking fishermen that fish in sustainable/responsible methods.

One of our fish buyers for halibut actually recently stopped buying as much local halibut because he was buying farm raised from Korea

I dont expect people from Wisconsin to understand this
Yesterday I brought my house mate and new club member to the meeting with me. He is new to the spearfishing and is a novice at best when it comes to the ocean and these issues, even he called bullshit on the committee and the process as well as aqua culture.
Oh my point he is from Wisconsin.
I must be one of the smart ones though, he escaped.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
SamoSpearo
kennen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin View Post
Not to mention the inevitability of the use of GE fish.

sorry for the rants unemployment is boring.
Whats wrong with GE?
SamoSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote