Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Recipe Corner > Recipes Here!

Recipes Here! Here's your little corner to demonstrate your culinary skills.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Coos-spearo

Beer Batter fish and chips

I was ready to start a twenty year quest for the best fish and chip batter. Having lived in England, I was batter spoiled. The first person I asked is an owner of a commercial shrimp boat. He felt he had the perfect recipe, which was handed down to him from another commercial fisherman. All I know is this is a party favorite and a way to feed a lot of people on a cold day. Your oil temperature is critical. I use a wok as it minimizes the amount of oil I use. Once cooked this batter also tastes better on the second day, so make leftovers.

1 part bisquick
1 part cornstarch
Your favorite beer mixed in to the correct consistency

Test the temperature of the oil by dripping a bit of batter in. This is not the healthiest fare, however, everyone will ask for the recipe and not believe you when you tell them. Enjoy.

Last edited by Coos-spearo; 01-22-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
hatterasfreedvr

Re: Beer Batter fish and chips

Sounds super good man. Everyone loves fried fish! I just posted a fried fish recipe from the Southern US. I'm gonna try your recipe next fish I get. I haven't done beer batter in a long time.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
norcalsurfer

I use Bob's Redmill gluten free all purpose flour. Mix in a bunch of salt, pepper, smoked paprika and garlic salt. Add favorite beer.

I use a bunch of oil in a dutch oven. Much easier to control the oil temperature and I only fry a few pieces at a time. I try and keep the oil 350-360.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
Coos-spearo

I have switched to using a gas hurricane burner and fry everything up in a wok. The wok limits the amount of oil I use and allows me to cook for a party (5-6 pcs at a time). I use this recipe at least once a month and it is an absolute crowd favorite. Thanks for the input.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote