Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
flounder2

Best boat for diving? Please chime in!

I moved onto the water three miles from the St. Augustine inlet. It is time for me to get my own offshore boat. Looking for suggestions.

Here are the parameters:

-24 to 27 feet

-two engines

-four divers at most

-it also needs to be good for fishing the beach for tarpon and cobia with a mild amount of reef and wreck trolling/bottom fishing.

-I am not a huge fan of going to the ledge - 52 miles - so that is not a big factor

-budget up to $120k, but, of course, the less, the better

There are so many different boats in this category that I am having trouble narrowing it down.

Thank you for any input!

Greg.
flounder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
Ted Brodley

Re: Best boat for diving? Please chime in!

I really like my Glacier Bay 260, which they renamed a GB2665 in the later years. It's a really big 26' boat.
You can find a hull from early 2000's that has been repowered and be in the 40 to 50K range.
Ted Brodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
CatDiver

I'm very partial to my 31 Prowler. The 246 Prowler would hit your requirements and I think be close on your budget.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder2 View Post
I moved onto the water three miles from the St. Augustine inlet. It is time for me to get my own offshore boat. Looking for suggestions. Here are the parameters:-24 to 27 feet-two engines-four divers at most-it also needs to be good for fishing the beach for tarpon and cobia with a mild amount of reef and wreck trolling/bottom fishing.-I am not a huge fan of going to the ledge - 52 miles - so that is not a big factor budget up to $120k, but, of course, the less, the betterThere are so many different boats in this category that I am having trouble narrowing it down. Thank you for any input!Greg.
Sent u a PM about a boat.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:17 AM   #5
qzone83

Well I'm not on the water, but my 25 Whitewater works quite well around here. If you are looking to dive around here you will want a boat that can run 40 out. St. Augustine doesn't have a ton of stuff in close, but does have some really great diving 20-50 miles out.

Unfortunately the thermocline has pushed in right now and vis sucks
qzone83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
StukNotAnchored

Older used WorldCat. They are built like tanks and handle the seas well and go also fish shallow. I will never buy a monohull again unless it is a very large boat (40+).
Old 08-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #7
MeTo

I bought a 24 Seaway Hardtop sport. Good semidisplacement Hull. Runs 20 knot 4500, good on fuel 4-5, light to tow 5500 ish boat motor trailer, nice birth over 7 feet long, I like it a lot with 135 Honda but I’m sure Seaway will put twin engines on it. They make a 27 but a bit pricey for me. I run R.I.,CT,NY. Just got in. 15-20 gust to 25, 1-3 chop, 15-18 knot real comfortable.
Not a fast boat but works for me. Friday 5 free divers and gear 27 knot at 5200.
Boat will bowsteer in the right conditions but good outweighs the bad.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:40 AM   #8
Red Tide

The 25 Whitewater, 25 Seavee, 25 Competition, 27 Contender would be great boats in the used market for what you are looking for. There is a new company call Lattitude Tournament Boats that is making a a fine boat similar to the above that would be under budget as well. I hear it is a two year wait to have one built.