Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
popgun pete

Huntmaster Spearguns

A new line of spearfishing equipment has appeared which popped up on a recent search of spearing gear. Their "Huntmaster" speargun looks surprisingly like the MVD spearguns, however there is also a "Huntress" version in pink! The trigger fingerguard contains a blocking safety that rotates up to stop the trigger being pulled.

I have never heard of them before, but they seem to be building a line of spearfishing equipment including float lines and floats as well as masks, snorkels and wetsuits in a range of camouflage colors.

Their spearguns are currently selling at 20 per cent off, plain vanilla guns for the moment, although if they are following the MVD line then rollerguns are probably something to appear in future.
https://www.huntmaster.com/collections/spearguns
compare with https://www.mvd-retail.gr/product-pa...ator-zeso-open (which has a reel included).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Huntmaster handle.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	245011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huntmaster muzzle.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	245012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huntmaster gun.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	245013   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVD 55 cm rollergun.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	245014   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVD rollergun.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	245015  

Name:	MVD Predator Zeso open.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	245017  

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-20-2020 at 05:52 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Huntmaster Spearguns

This is the "Huntress" model, although it does not state that on the barrel sticker. Guns come in 75, 90, 100 and 110 cm lengths.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Huntress speargun.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	245016  
Old 02-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
popgun pete

Wetsuits and floats.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
Marco

Products look nice.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #5
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I am confused. Is this a collaboration with Italian Hunt (Technology) or a brand new (Aussie?) company putting a new line of products together - and not even bothering to try to make their font or logo look like it's not a rip off of the Italian's?

http://www.huntechnology.it/en/carbont.aspx

Besides that, their stuff looks good.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 02-29-2020 at 03:11 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
I am confused. Is this a collaboration with Italian Hunt (Technology) or a brand new (Aussie?) company putting a new line of products together - and not even bothering to try to make their font or logo look like it's not a rip off of the Italian's?

http://www.huntechnology.it/en/carbont.aspx

Besides that, their stuff looks good.
I think it is sourced from overseas as my guess is "Huntmaster" is a marketing entity set up by Australian divers, but none of that gear would be made in Australia. MVD is a Greek company, but my gut feel is this stuff comes from Asia as low labour costs and tax concessions underpin manufacturing these days. Wetsuits in particular come out of Asia, but the name labels never openly proclaim that unless you look very closely for a tag in an obscure location.

As for Hunt Technology I doubt that there is any connection.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:56 PM   #7
popgun pete

Although what I think is a separate entity, the business template may not be all that different to OceanPro which is more scuba related and has no spearguns listed.
https://www.oceanprosports.com/brand-story/

If you get a group together and can raise the cash then you can put in large orders for gear especially branded with your group's name. Then of course you have to sell it in sufficient quantities to make the enterprise sustainable and profitable.

Nothing new in all this, but there is a catch, and that is further down the track someone else may be selling the exact same gear with another brand name on it as your "exclusive" supplier is not as exclusive as you had originally thought!

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-21-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:36 AM   #8
popgun pete

Bought a pink gun as a present, only a 75 cm. Gun has open muzzle and one line wrap of black mono. Shark fin tab spear of 6.3 mm diameter, not stainless steel and single flopper on top.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
popgun pete

Here is a direct comparison.

Looks like the grip is widened to make up for the material lost to the rectangular holes in the grip. Similarly slotted is the hand grip itself for appearance's sake, whereas everything on the MVD is solid. Another possibility for manufacture is Turkey, they churn out different lines of guns. Eastern Europe has taken on a lot of manufacturing for brands like Mares.

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-26-2020 at 06:57 PM. Reason: extra comment
Old 02-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #10
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Yes indeed they copied Hunt from Italy and those guns are the MVD guns painted.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:45 PM   #11
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus_Spearo View Post
Yes indeed they copied Hunt from Italy and those guns are the MVD guns painted.
Similar, but not identical, look at the top view of the handles.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:18 AM   #12
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Here's a bit of interesting info. Huntmaster told me their handles are actually designed by them and made by MVD.
The wording was slightly vague with something like that the collaboration will not continue, so whether a first batch was made by MVD and further production moved elsewhere or whether Huntmaster has a lot of handles from that first batch, I don't know.

@Pete, I was surprised to hear the shaft is not a stainless one and I guess not a high carbon RA/SA type one, either? But then again, the price point is on the low end, so I guess they had to cut some corners somewhere?

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 02-29-2020 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #13
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Here's a bit of interesting info. Huntmaster told me their handles are actually designed by them and made by MVD.
The wording was slightly vague with something like that the collaboration will not continue, so whether a first batch was made by MVD and further production moved elsewhere or whether Huntmaster has a lot of handles from that first batch, I don't know.

@Pete, I was surprised to hear the shaft is not a stainless one and I guess not a high carbon RA/SA type one, either? But then again, the price point is on the low end, so I guess they had to cut some corners somewhere?
Well I notice no mention of the spear material in their adverts, so if it was something special then they would have said something. Sure is not spring stainless as it is the wrong color and that color varies in places which you get with coated shafts. As I mentioned earlier the shaft tang has "AUSTRALIA" stamped in it and you can see that name is also molded into the rear edge of the colored handgrip. Spears get replaced sooner or later, so something better could be added at that time. 6.3 mm is a pretty miserable size, I think 6.5 mm is the smallest I have on one of my guns.

P.S. https://www.facebook.com/Huntmaster....0692816304270/ Their "Wigun" gun video seems to indicate a stainless spear, but that is not what came with this short gun (shown above). https://www.facebook.com/Huntmaster....16304270/?t=47

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-29-2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: extra comment
Old 02-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #14
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

They are all made by MVD. If they already paid for the mold which 100% they did there is no way they would move production elsewhere. Shafts are also made by MVD

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #15
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus_Spearo View Post
They are all made by MVD. If they already paid for the mold which 100% they did there is no way they would move production elsewhere. Shafts are also made by MVD

Thanks for elaborating. The part about moving elsewhere was part speculation on my behalf but I was told by Huntmaster that the “collaboration” has ended.
On having paid for the mold vs. moving it elsewhere - as far as I understand it’s not unheard of that you move the mold itself to a different production facility. I think there are certain standards in mold design in the industry that sometimes makes this possible.

The MVD parts seem to get good reviews, so if the Huntmaster ones are of the same quality I guess these are not bad deals for the consumer. Still, not cool at all about the logo plagiarism. It's kinda weird actually, as there must be some real money behind this so you would have thought they could have spent a bit on having their own visual identity designed for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 02-29-2020 at 10:55 PM.