Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #16
Benny

Re: East to West

What to you do for work? That will probably have a huge factor on where you can practically live-work-dive. For example, I'm in the process of making the move to socal, and I have a job lined up in Van Nuys. So I am looking to buy a place in Thousand Oaks, puts me roughly half way between work and play.

If I worked from home and could live anywhere it would be Carmel/Monterey or North County San Diego. Encinitas/Leucadia is super chill. I'd be stoked to live in Ventura or Oxnard though, houses are way cheaper, you're away from the traffic madness and like mentioned before so close to Malibu, easy rip up to Cencal too.

Good luck with your move, and truly sorry to hear of your loss.
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

You would be psychotic to move to CA for the sole purpose of spearfishing... Diving here is super lame unless you have access to a nice boat and can get out to the outer islands/banks every time you want to dive. We have very little variety and dirty, cold water. To top it off besides calico bass everything is dumb as rocks too so you largely miss out on developing some skills that are needed elsewhere in the world.
If I had 2 weeks a month off California might be ok just because Baja is next door. But if you cant get in regular mexico trips it sucks here...
Move to one of the outer Hawaiian islands if you want to move to a state with a spearfishing paradise.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #18
growingupninja
Lance

Our cities (particularly LA) are a mess and ridiculously expensive, and not even being stuffed with the world's most beautiful girls can make it worthwhile, sure water is cold frequently murky, but sorry man... I have dove/hunted Carribean, Florida Gulf, Hawaii, Gulf of Thailand, fresh water ceynotes...

But if somebody told me 'you get one last dive and that's it, period, forever,' in a heartbeat I would choose a southern California kelp forrest under a full moon.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #19
Scottywotty
Long Beach Neptune

Never lived there but

X3 for San Diego! Ton's of WSB, Yellowtail, Tuna, Lobster and just across the boarder for Giant Black sea bass.

What more could you want?

Old 05-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #20
Marco

Steven, I don't know what you do for living, but remember that Puerto Rico is "part" of the US...

I lived there for 7 years and enjoyed every minute.

About Cali, I know less than nothing.

Good luck.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #21
sdeisen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
You would be psychotic to move to CA for the sole purpose of spearfishing... Diving here is super lame unless you have access to a nice boat and can get out to the outer islands/banks every time you want to dive. We have very little variety and dirty, cold water. To top it off besides calico bass everything is dumb as rocks too so you largely miss out on developing some skills that are needed elsewhere in the world.
If I had 2 weeks a month off California might be ok just because Baja is next door. But if you cant get in regular mexico trips it sucks here...
Move to one of the outer Hawaiian islands if you want to move to a state with a spearfishing paradise.
Well that's all relative. Having grown up in Cali I don't doubt you see it that way. I've never dove kelp, driven up and down the pacific coast highway or the other stuff that Cali's got.
Hawaii is awesome and I've been there to dive on three occasions and seen a lot of things in the water there I'll never forget ( and I don't doubt I will end up there at some point for a while) but you'll just have to believe I want to dive California for a while. Not too worried about losing skills because of dumb fish, have you ever tried to get good fish in south Florida
? maybe California's lost its luster for you since you are apparently a traveled spearo but as an outsider it's a major curiosity. Also of course I plan on doing as many island and Baja trips as possible
sdeisen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #22
sdeisen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Steven, I don't know what you do for living, but remember that Puerto Rico is "part" of the US...

I lived there for 7 years and enjoyed every minute.

About Cali, I know less than nothing.

Good luck.
Marco I didn't know you hang out here sometimes. Thank you for reminding me about Puerto Rico but I've had two girlfriends from there and I don't think I could survive another . If you move back though please let me know id love to visit.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #23
sdeisen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
What to you do for work? That will probably have a huge factor on where you can practically live-work-dive. For example, I'm in the process of making the move to socal, and I have a job lined up in Van Nuys. So I am looking to buy a place in Thousand Oaks, puts me roughly half way between work and play.

If I worked from home and could live anywhere it would be Carmel/Monterey or North County San Diego. Encinitas/Leucadia is super chill. I'd be stoked to live in Ventura or Oxnard though, houses are way cheaper, you're away from the traffic madness and like mentioned before so close to Malibu, easy rip up to Cencal too.

Good luck with your move, and truly sorry to hear of your loss.
I recently graduated college and have yet to use my degree (political science ). I am going to do whatever to get established once there and look for something that suits me with time. I know that is not the usual way people do things but hey, why not.

A lot of people have been recommending San Diego area which I am not at all opposed to but I assumed (I'm not sure why) that there wasn't kelp there and that deeper water was much further out than a bit further up north. I am very much not a fan of diving in water less than 30 feet to frequently. Maybe one of the towns around SD is what I should look into.

I am about 2 months out from trying to make the move so I am just trying to get the most info possible and I really appreciate everyone chiming in.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #24
sdeisen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Our cities (particularly LA) are a mess and ridiculously expensive, and not even being stuffed with the world's most beautiful girls can make it worthwhile, sure water is cold frequently murky, but sorry man... I have dove/hunted Carribean, Florida Gulf, Hawaii, Gulf of Thailand, fresh water ceynotes...

But if somebody told me 'you get one last dive and that's it, period, forever,' in a heartbeat I would choose a southern California kelp forrest under a full moon.
Well that's saying something.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #25
Rivas2u

Everytime I leave San Diego I cant wait to come back. We have plenty of kelp check google maps. Its expensive here but it's worth it. Everyone that visits wants to move out here. Plus we have over 100 breweries in the county!
Rivas2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #26
Bob Ballew

...I owned a condo on Catalina for 5 years...like Hawaii, you can get island bored after a certain point....my maximum lasting period was 30 days, then, I was ready for the mainland...too many tourists and tour buses in the summer and pretty quiet in the winter with little to do...San Diego to Santa Barbara is all good, with each community having it's equal share of positives and negatives...
...rents in Long Beach are lower than most of the other popular beach area towns and there are jobs available...as mentioned above, I wouldn't recommend living on a main drag due to traffic noise and congestion but, there are east side rental areas that are very nice and quiet...again, we like the "L.B." due to it's central location for a host of activities, including dive runs north, west and south..best bet is to come out and do some driving around to see where you feel most comfortable....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #27
sdeisen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
...I owned a condo on Catalina for 5 years...like Hawaii, you can get island bored after a certain point....my maximum lasting period was 30 days, then, I was ready for the mainland...too many tourists and tour buses in the summer and pretty quiet in the winter with little to do...San Diego to Santa Barbara is all good, with each community having it's equal share of positives and negatives...
...rents in Long Beach are lower than most of the other popular beach area towns and there are jobs available...as mentioned above, I wouldn't recommend living on a main drag due to traffic noise and congestion but, there are east side rental areas that are very nice and quiet...again, we like the "L.B." due to it's central location for a host of activities, including dive runs north, west and south..best bet is to come out and do some driving around to see where you feel most comfortable....
Thanks bob, sound advice.