Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Hector

I love this place!!

I am in Cali for a week and am traveling with the wife from long beach north along the coast to the wine country. I am in Santa Barbara right now looking at the ocean in complete awe, I would have loved to get a trip in with a local but it is a quality time trip ; ) you guys live in paradise. Hopefully I will be back soon and I can kill some fish with you guys. Dive safe
Hector
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
lettersmooth
Golden stater

Re: I love this place!!

Enjoy your trip, glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. I'm not gonna lie, I love California and couldn't imagine living anywhere else for an extended period of time
lettersmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Pither
I Pith

You haven't seen anything yet. The coastline as you head north gets more amazing the farther you go. I just got back from a long weekend diving Mendocino to Sonoma. I grew up here and I'm still stoked whenever I do a trip up that way.
Luck can be replaced with time in water for same results.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Bill McIntyre

If possible, get off the 101 freeway at San Luis Obispo and take California 1 up to Monterey. Its simply awesome, one of the most beautiful drives in the world.

I first took that drive as a Marine 2/Lt on the way from Virginia to Oakland to put my car on a ship to Hawaii. I recall constantly pulling off the road and looking down the steep cliffs, and thinking "damn, why don't I have a girl with me so that I could take advantage of this romantic scene."

I'm glad you have a girl with you. Take advantage of her.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Hector

Will do Bill I am heading north in the morning. I ran into Andy @ blue water hunter in Santa Barbara and that really made me want to go diving, Bill, did I read that temps were 59 deg the other morning?!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
capreef

Welcome to S.B. I think the temp has been about 61deg but dirty as hell. Andy is a good guy( blue water hunter) Come back and dive before they close all the good beaches down. Every dive spot that we dive is on the chopping block!!!
capreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
Bob Ballew

hmmm, you must have missed our bad drivers, the L.A. smog and all the red lights..... but, having been to Hawaii and most of Mexico on dive trips, I agree we still have a slice of paradise at our offshore islands...expecially when it is 10 below back east and it is 81 here.....if you haven't been to Catalina Island, put it on your must do list....Monterrey Aquarium and an ice cream sunday next door is also a must...nice patio view of kayakers and the sea otters while the ice cream drips down your chin....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
hutloc

keep going....buddy of mine just reported 64deg water and caught 30lb wsb up around san fran!!
hutloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
zenspearo

You should stop off in Monterey on the way North. Drive along US1 hugging the coast and get ready for the wife to yell "stop, let's take pictures" every few hundred yards. Yes, it's that beautiful.

Drive the 17-mile drive through Pebble Beach. Just for sight-seeing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-Mile_Drive

When you are in Pacific Grove (walking distance to Monterey), stop off at the local fish market and get a to-go lunch and some clam chowder. Drive out to the beach, park a few feet off the sand, have a picnic lunch, and wade in for a dive. Your wife would ohhh and ahhh at the zillion dollar homes and flowers and land-scaping and you would ooh and ahh at the underwater scenery. PM me if you want the exact spot. I used to live in Pacific Grove, right off Lovers' Cove.

If you have time and are sick of diving, go to the Pacific Grove municipal golf course and play the back nine. Marvel at the ocean view as you play. It's as close as you can get playing golf at Pebble Beach without the massive membership due and the $500/round green fees.

Welcome to our zany state.

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
CalIslandhopper
Goat slayer

[quote=zenspearo;996852] right off Lovers' Cove.QUOTE]

That's where I got married...right on the beach
Old 07-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
jimglover1

17 mile drive for sure. The wife and I came upon a lady hand feeding two deer while stopped on her bike with a kid in the bike seat. Amazing! Then down at the waters edge, on the golf course, we saw otters swimming around in the kelp.
jimglover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

The section on PCH between San Francisco and Tomales Bay is very beautiful as well, but it's a hellish drive. You won't be doing more than 20 mph on that stretch, and the road will climb high, switch back and drop away on the left hand side a couple hundred feet into the sea.

It's a beautiful drive, and I've done it exactly once. I don't think I'll ever do it again unless I had nowhere to be and was just cruisin.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
Hector

Great tips guys! I am heading north on the 1 between morro bay and Cambria right now, the wife is in heaven And it's only getting better