Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #1711
Oceanmonkey
Ozemone

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Nice cobia!
Thanks brother. Thought it was a shark sneaking up on me out of the mist when I caught it out of the corner of my eye. haha!
Oceanmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #1712
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanmonkey View Post
Thanks brother. Thought it was a shark sneaking up on me out of the mist when I caught it out of the corner of my eye. haha!
LOL - has happened to me many a time - last time it was EIGHT cobia all in a school and at first I thought I was a goner from a sharknado - LOL.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:24 PM   #1713
Seal Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanmonkey View Post
Figure I should start contributing to this thread as it has been good to me. Thank you all who post frequently. I'll try to do a better job of doing the same.

A little late, but was freediving with a buddy 3 days ago in 35-40' out of Clearwater Pass. Vis was only about 10' on the bottom but it was really fishy. A lot of short gags and a few big ones that were holed up in places I couldn't get to them. Managed some fat Mangos, a big Sheepie (which I rarely see on this spot this time of year), a fat 29lb cobia and a 34lb Cuda that wouldn't leave me alone. He parked under the boat and kept eyeballing me every time I brought fish back to the boat and kept getting closer and closer. Finally had enough so I put him down. Took me for a ride. Gave it up to another boat in the area on HL for bait.

Not sure what the weather that rolled in did to conditions, but I can't imagine it improved any. Pics below:

11.jpg Photo by ozemone | Photobucket

112.jpg Photo by ozemone | Photobucket

113.jpg Photo by ozemone | Photobucket
Great Cuda!!!
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #1714
Oceanmonkey
Ozemone

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
LOL - has happened to me many a time - last time it was EIGHT cobia all in a school and at first I thought I was a goner from a sharknado - LOL.
I'm actually surprised as to how many cobia this size I see in 35-45ft. I've missed opportunities on many while using my pole spear so now I stay on my guns most of the time or at least keep one strapped on my Omer Atoll for quick access if I'm on the pole spear. This one got wrapped around a few piling and was going bananas trying to get off so I had to tag it a second time with my buddies pole spear to get it untangled and in the boat. Took me at least 7-8 dives down. Scary as hell trying to make sure you don't gets tangled up in crappy vis with that big Cuda following us around.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #1715
Oceanmonkey
Ozemone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
Great Cuda!!!
Thank you. He was mean as hell and stunk my cooler up. He smelled horrible. They always do, but this one was so big he was supa' stank! Was glad to throw him on another boat. Haha!
Old 10-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #1716
Frank L

Hello, I don't get over to crystal river as much as I would like to. Haven't been over since Summer. What are temps like in 40' of water in Oct? Do you guys wear a wetsuit this time of year?

Last edited by Frank L; 10-05-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #1717
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Hello, I don't get over to crystal river as much as I would like to. Haven't been over since Summer. What are temps like in 40' of water in Oct? Do you guys wear a wetsuit this time of year?
3mm usually. If the cold fronts come early, sometimes thicker.

C
Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #1718
Frank L

Thanks for the advice. I have a light suit, 3 mm farmer john I'll probably go with.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #1719
82airborne

anyone been out in 30-60ft off of ami lately going sunday just trying to decide to turn north or south when we leave the bay
82airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #1720
Hoghunter

20' to 45' off 3 rooker
pretty bad vis until 30' give or take
at 30' could swim at 15' up and still see whats shootable
flat in the AM then building
2 hogs 2 gags home by 1:00
Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #1721
dkay

Dove NW off Anclote in 45'. Vis was about 30' horizontal. Lots of gags but they were skittish which made for some challenging shooting. Managed some nice ones and some nice hogs. Missed several more long shots.
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #1722
82airborne

gonna try to run ledges tomorrow out of ami rain hasn't helped im sure
82airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #1723
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

Wow this thread has seen a lot of post recently!

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #1724
grey2112

Went out 10/12/15 (yesterday) with 3 other divers out of NPR. 35 miles NW to a spot in 50 fsw off Hernando. Then 11 miles further west, then SSE another 18 miles. All spots in about 50-55 fsw. First dives were tough due to a very strong current and some spotty viz. Later when the current subsided some the viz got better. Seas started out around 2 feet and a little choppy but calmed down later. Beautiful day up top. Water temps 80-81.

Saw some good activity, no sharks, lots of hogs and mangos. Managed about 15 hogs, 3 nice sizes gags (one, unfortunately, MY first one of the year ended up lost due to my stringer accidentally popping open as I was ending my dive - I didn't want to risk going down after it due to lack of much PSI left in my tank), a black sea bass, and some nice mangos.

On one ledge in 50 fsw we came across 3 lionfish and took them out - about medium sized.

ScubaSteve came with us and he got both of the gags seen in the picture - the first he's ever shot, so he was a happy camper.

Great day, nice dives, a decent amount of fish, and great divers. Who could ask for much more?

PS - if Scubasteve wants to tell the funny story of his second gag grouper, I'm sure he'll be along shortly - LOL

grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #1725
Seal Rock

Most excellent Eric!!! Sure wish I could've gone with you guys. On my commute home I did get a view of a small boat, WAY THE F--- OUT THERE as we were descending through 14,000, probably around 09:10. I knew it was you guys and man, despite being awake all night coming back from Santiago I wanted to HALO down to join the party.

NICE KILLS by the way, epic day. Dude, you were more than half way to the middle grounds!!!

For what its worth my neighbor went to our pyramid and limited out on huge gags and some alternate colored ones as well.

Congrats on an epic adventure.

And did you mention black sea bass? Obviously not related to one of my West Coast variants.

There is only one man I know that wouldv'e pulled the trigger on this 600+ pound sea bass.

It was my first time ever seeing one and my last dive at one of the coolest places ever.
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote